Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Players warn their team before signing an offer sheet with another team. The timing of the Kane announcement tells me that they'll LTIR his ass and match...but we'll see.
It is all relative and varies by agent. Some agents give a heads up and say match or we will sign. Some sign and catch by surprise, especially if the relationship is fractured (in Broberg's case it has been).

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
How are we getting burned? Nuke isn’t counting against the cap?

Also the fact that Kane played through a hernia since like December(or whenever it was) is crazy to me. That would’ve been the perfect time to LTIR him but 🤷‍♂️
We got burned by the 'random' testing during the most important time of year on a player that was kicking massive ass in the playoffs at the time.

I absolutely, 100% believe to my core that if he was playing on vegas - he would certainly not have been tested during the playoffs. That's how we got burned.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
We got burned by the 'random' testing during the most important time of year on a player that was kicking massive ass in the playoffs at the time.

I absolutely, 100% believe to my core that if he was playing on vegas - he would certainly not have been tested during the playoffs. That's how we got burned.
yep . DeBoer

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
In hindsight, probably shouldn't have re-signed Perry, Janmark, and Henrique so quickly. That said, they could probably trade Ceci pretty easily if they retained about $500k, and that would create the space needed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In hindsight, probably shouldn't have re-signed Perry, Janmark, and Henrique so quickly. That said, they could probably trade Ceci pretty easily if they retained about $500k, and that would create the space needed.
If they didn't, they lose all three of those guys.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean if Nuke could stop doing drugs for 5 minutes we wouldn’t have any issues… It sucks we lost him again, but the Avs are the one that hitched their wagon to a guy who has very obvious issues. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Reactions: Bender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Broberg actually started to look decent this year and was very respectable in the Stanley Cup Finals: looks like a young Ekholm in the making. That's a brutal move if the Oilers can't match.

Holloway was rubbish, very low IQ with the puck, so not sure what the Blues see there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Broberg actually started to look decent this year and was very respectable in the Stanley Cup Finals: looks like a young Ekholm in the making. That's a brutal move if the Oilers can't match.

Holloway was rubbish, very low IQ with the puck, so not sure what the Blues see there.

Maybe they just think having Holloway and Neighbours together will lead to brilliance due to the Calgary connection

Reactions: dahrougem2

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

Yeah I liked what I saw from Broberg in Edmonton's run but it's just such a small sample size to throw 4.5M at. I don't think the Oilers have a shot matching Broberg but think they match Holloway. This puts the Oilers in a bind for sure.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't even think St. Louis needed to go that high on Broberg because he's wanted out for over a year.

Holloway is the interesting one but he must feel like he's getting squeezed out by the Oilers' vet re-signings, Skinner signing, and Savoie acquisition.

Reactions: missionAvs

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I would match Broberg and let Holloway go if I was Edmonton. Then trade Ceci.

Edmonton has plenty of forward depth (albeit old depth), but the backend is finished if they don’t have someone to pick up some of the slack from a declining Ekholm.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't even think St. Louis needed to go that high on Broberg because he's wanted out for over a year.

Holloway is the interesting one but he must feel like he's getting squeezed out by the Oilers' vet re-signings, Skinner signing, and Savoie acquisition.

I think the Broberg AAV was to inflict maximum pain while still remaining under the 2nd round draft pick compensation but I definitely agree that he would have likely accepted less.

Agreed on the Holloway stuff. Guy was feeling the squeeze which is going to make the situation even funnier when the Oilers match his offer haha.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Does anyone think this was also specifically designed as a "f*** you" to Stan Bowman? We often hear all the time about how teams done do the Offersheet thing because of the respect to other GMs or the unwritten rules, etc. Can't help but think at least part of this is because Bowman doesn't have much respect from some of the GMs around the league now.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I thought Broberg was actually great in the playoffs. The question with him is IQ related too... big dummies who are very physically gifted is the story on both. Broberg with the cost is a huge risk. Holloway in the mid 2s... as long as he can at least play a Wood like role on the 3rd line for St Louis is probably fine. I see that as lower risk. With Broberg, you're betting he's a top 4 guy and while the talent is clearly there, the results have yet to follow.

I could easily see this as a lose-lose. St Louis does have a path to a win. Edmonton is kinda screwed either way. Lose out on cheap talent to fill the roster and some of their only young guys who are NHL caliber are gone if they don't match.

Jarventie is probably the biggest (non-Broberg) winner. Dude has a wide open spot for him in the lineup now.

Reactions: S E P H

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I thought Broberg was actually great in the playoffs. The question with him is IQ related too... big dummies who are very physically gifted is the story on both. Broberg with the cost is a huge risk. Holloway in the mid 2s... as long as he can at least play a Wood like role on the 3rd line for St Louis is probably fine. I see that as lower risk. With Broberg, you're betting he's a top 4 guy and while the talent is clearly there, the results have yet to follow.

I could easily see this as a lose-lose. St Louis does have a path to a win. Edmonton is kinda screwed either way. Lose out on cheap talent to fill the roster and some of their only young guys who are NHL caliber are gone if they don't match.

Jarventie is probably the biggest (non-Broberg) winner. Dude has a wide open spot for him in the lineup now.
I mean I don't think it's that big of a risk by the Blues. It's a two year deal. If it's a disaster, it will be over soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean I don't think it's that big of a risk by the Blues. It's a two year deal. If it's a disaster, it will be over soon.
Its more cap space and money than anything else. Blues don't have a budget and their owner is willing to pay whatever so it isn't that big of a deal money wise. Cap wise though they tied up 7m here on a team with some tricky situations coming up (Neighbors, Torpy, Hofer).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Its more cap space and money than anything else. Blues don't have a budget and their owner is willing to pay whatever so it isn't that big of a deal money wise. Cap wise though they tied up 7m here on a team with some tricky situations coming up (Neighbors, Torpy, Hofer).
I guess, but I don't think they are a team that can't afford to take risks. This is why you always need to look at context with deals, and not just at the money/term and go "that's terrible value for that player". Well, not for every team. That's why UFAs are overpaid in general.

Teams that are not a surefire playoff team should be the ones taking risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad