Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Prioritizing a winger over a center is a terrible mistake, and one that they absolutely should not make. I want to keep Drouin too, but not at the expense of someone capable of playing the more important on-ice position.
Prioritizing the better hockey player is not a terrible mistake.

Bednar clearly trusts Drouin a hell of a lot more than he trusts Colton, and Drouin is simply the superior player.

If they're coming in at similar money, you keep Drouin.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Bednar clearly trusts Drouin a hell of a lot more than he trusts Colton, and Drouin is simply the superior player.

If you want Bendar to play the lines at a more reasonable TOI... having well below average 3 and 4Cs is not going to help that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I don’t necessarily agree. Especially with all the wingers that will potentially be available for cheap this offseason.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem with Suter isn't his play... the problem is coaches like his play and start elevating him up the lineup. He's capable of a 15 minute role and playing that well. The problem is coaches will play him 19-20 and those extra flaws start to surface.
You know Bednar would love him.

Reactions: henchman21

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I understand the logic behind trading Colton and it's true that the Avs could use a more defensively reliable 3rd line.

But I also think that if you insulated Colton with better defensive wingers, it would work.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you want Bendar to play the lines at a more reasonable TOI... having well below average 3 and 4Cs is not going to help that.
Of course I want that, but Bednar clearly doesn't want that. Even with Mittelstadt here I don't envision the top line playing less than 22 per game.

Colton's ice time might even decrease next season as Bednar gives those minutes to Mittelstadt.

Thus, Drouin is far more important to this team's success than Colton is.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

No matter how you slice it, keeping a winger (Drouin) over a capable--albeit average--3C (Colton) is a mistake. Drouin can't effectively play C, so he can't slot in to that space, and now you either have to find a replacement for less than 4M (which will not net you someone who is as good as Colton was for us last year), or you just go REALLY cheap and have the on-ice results to reflect that...which will lead to the Top6, specifically the Top Line, being well overplayed by the time the playoffs come.

There's no way to slice it--unless they have a bonafide plan (which I concede they may, CMac certainly had a plan when he traded Newhook for draft picks last year and then flipped one for Colton), this is just an all-around bad idea.

Especially when you can find, and pay, for effective Top 6 wings much easier in either UFA or trade.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Of course I want that, but Bednar clearly doesn't want that. Even with Mittelstadt here I don't envision the top line playing less than 22 per game.

Colton's ice time might even decrease next season as Bednar gives those minutes to Mittelstadt.

Thus, Drouin is far more important to this team's success than Colton is.
A 3C is more important to a team's success than a 2W. I get wanting to keep Drouin, but this will be relegating the bottom 6 to a combined ~16 minutes a night. Unless they pull off an expensive trade for a 3C with retention, odds are the bottom 6 gets a lot worse.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It would be surprising if he doesn't.
12x8 is still more than any other winger makes, and just because Toronto overpaid William Nylander doesn't mean Colorado will overpay Rantanen. Just like they didn't when Marner signed for almost 2.5mil more with worse stats.

He will stay under MacKinnon. If I was a betting man, I would make a bet on this with you. Obviously conditioned that it's with Colorado.

Reactions: Alienblood

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm very dubious about giving up a 2nd rd pick to move up three spots but I do appreciate Grier making this move. We need more movement in the NHL draft, it's always so boring compared to other sports.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No matter how you slice it, keeping a winger (Drouin) over a capable--albeit average--3C (Colton) is a mistake. Drouin can't effectively play C, so he can't slot in to that space, and now you either have to find a replacement for less than 4M (which will not net you someone who is as good as Colton was for us last year), or you just go REALLY cheap and have the on-ice results to reflect that...which will lead to the Top6, specifically the Top Line, being well overplayed by the time the playoffs come.

There's no way to slice it--unless they have a bonafide plan (which I concede they may, CMac certainly had a plan when he traded Newhook for draft picks last year and then flipped one for Colton), this is just an all-around bad idea.

Especially when you can find, and pay, for effective Top 6 wings much easier in either UFA or trade.
It's only a mistake if you think it's a mistake. I don't think it's a mistake based on how this team is built and how Drouin severely outplayed Colton last season.
A 3C is more important to a team's success than a 2W. I get wanting to keep Drouin, but this will be relegating the bottom 6 to a combined ~16 minutes a night. Unless they pull off an expensive trade for a 3C with retention, odds are the bottom 6 gets a lot worse.
I don't disagree in theory, but this isn't theory - this is Jared Bednar's preferred allocation of minutes. He's going to ride his top guys into the ground. So, you strengthen the top six.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The clear problem is that Colton is quite overpaid, that's probably more of the reason they're choosing to trade him than them choosing to keep Drouin over him. The cap is too tight to have depth players making more than they should.

The underlying problem is cMac was the one who overpaid him 12 f***ing months ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's only a mistake if you think it's a mistake. I don't think it's a mistake based on how this team is built and how Drouin severely outplayed Colton last season.

I don't disagree in theory, but this isn't theory - this is Jared Bednar's preferred allocation of minutes. He's going to ride his top guys into the ground. So, you strengthen the top six.
I think Bednar would prefer to have a more balanced set of minutes as reflected by earlier usage… but the lack of depth and his full on have to win every game has caused this.

The clear problem is that Colton is quite overpaid, that's probably more of the reason they're choosing to trade him than them choosing to keep Drouin over him. The cap is too tight to have depth players making more than they should.

The underlying problem is cMac was the one who overpaid him 12 f***ing months ago.
He’s not overpaid. He’s paid what average 3Cs make. He’s not providing excess value and that’s the problem.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

He really is not though. He makes average 3rd liner money. We've got to stop living like the Cap is 10-15M less than it is now. Yeah we're going to be in a crunch, but he makes average 3rd liner money, and he is an average 3rd liner...who just happened to post career highs in goals and points last year.

I would NOT say that Drouin "vastly outplayed Colton last year", both had struggles, and Drouin got hot. But he's also had an injury history, and I am leery of giving him any sort of term and high dollars. There's a very real possibility that he knew he was playing for his NHL life last year and that brought out extra motivation that may otherwise not be there if he's gotten security again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't re-sign him, I'm saying I wouldn't sacrifice Colton to do it...and I'm not even saying this as a Colton fanatic, I thought he was fine last year, just fine; but I AM saying it as someone who recognized the Avs go through a long period of time w/o a capable 3C, they just found one, why trade that away and go back to having shit C depth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad