Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Duhaime showed some flashes in the regular season but he's a dime a dozen player.

I don't think he's worth it for the Avs since he's strictly a winger. At least Wagner can play centre.
I would be good either way with him. If he comes back cheap than cool, I think he showed some potential to work in Bednars system and I think he could do quite well here.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Right, if we pencil in Kovalenko, Foudy, Malinksi and Innala on ELC's and also Wagner into the main roster we would have 18 players signed and $1.02m in cap space.
Your calculations are off. Avs should be able to ice a full 22 man roster with the players currently under contract with 445k in cap space to spare. That would cover a Nuke replacement for the 1st month of the season. It's not a great roster, but it's a full roster.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There was a report a week-or-so ago that teams view Duhaime as a consolation prize if they miss out on Dakota Joshua. So it is likely he'll get overpaid for his physicality.

Personally, Duhaime impressed me when he first got here, but that faded over time. I don't think Bednar trusted him and I don't blame him. For as little as he played, the Avs gave up way too many goals 5v5 when Duhaime was on the ice, which is why I think his ice time got slashed in the playoffs.

<Regular Season>

GPTOI 5v5Oi GA 5v5
Duhaime1810:179
Trenin1610:322
Wagner137:011

<Playoffs>

GPTOI 5v5Oi GA 5v5
Duhaime117:314
Trenin108:513
Wagner28:440

(I'm not insinuating Wagner is better, it's just for comparison sake)
Duhaime probably gets a little north of $1m, like $1.2m, which would be $425k over the salary minimum of $775k.

That may not sound like much, but $425k would accrue enough cap space to add a legit good player at the deadline. So unless Duhaime is willing to sign for closer to $800k the Avs are probably better off passing on him and instead filling the role for ~$775-800k and then adding at the deadline instead when they could get a much better player than Duhaime for that cap space.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Duhaime probably gets a little north of $1m, like $1.2m, which would be $425k over the salary minimum of $775k.

That may not sound like much, but $425k would accrue enough cap space to add a legit good player at the deadline. So unless Duhaime is willing to sign for closer to $800k the Avs are probably better off passing on him and instead filling the role for ~$775-800k and then adding at the deadline instead when they could get a much better player than Duhaime for that cap space.
Hey Joe, what are the odds of you signing Drouin and Skinner?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Mother? Sounds like that hot older woman was her boss. 😄

Dont do cocaine from hookers.....Dont go full Nichuskhin.... 😁
1719502976062.png

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Are there any decent targets to be had if we did Colton+ for a replacement 3C at 50% retained?

Something like Colton + pick(s) for Jenner @50% ($1.875m X2 years)

Or Colton+ for Frost @50% (1.05m X 1 year).

Other ideas?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Are there any decent targets to be had if we did Colton+ for a replacement 3C at 50% retained?

Other ideas?
If we're trading Colton it's for the full 4M of cap space, not for a replacement.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Other ideas?

It would likely cost an arm and a leg for Jenner @50% but it would certainly be worth it.

Mack - Mitts - Jenner down the middle for 2 runs would be phenomenal.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but factoring in Nichushkin and Landy on the books, we have $5.23m in cap space with only 13 players signed.

This is going to be a wild off-season.
Yep, I actually don't think you are the last to realize this. Many posters seem to think it's all good and keep posting their NHL 25 rosters.

We are in a crunch and it's going to be nuts.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If we're trading Colton it's for the full 4M of cap space, not for a replacement.
Well you're gonna need to find a replacement 3C one way or another if you move Colton. Either you trade him and use assets (or UFA) to acquire a replacement, or you trade him for his direct replacement thereby killing two birds with one stone as it were.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Your calculations are off. Avs should be able to ice a full 22 man roster with the players currently under contract with 445k in cap space to spare. That would cover a Nuke replacement for the 1st month of the season. It's not a great roster, but it's a full roster.
Yes, my bad. We would have $1.02m in cap space with 20 signed players, not 18 (or 22). I am also not factoring whatever small amount of relief we will get for not having Nuke count against the cap for the first month of the season.

In any event, it'd be nice to move a contract out (likely one of Colton, Manson or Girard) to use the cap space for multiple cheaper players.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but factoring in Nichushkin and Landy on the books, we have $5.23m in cap space with only 13 players signed.

This is going to be a wild off-season.

Yep, I actually don't think you are the last to realize this. Many posters seem to think it's all good and keep posting their NHL 25 rosters.

We are in a crunch and it's going to be nuts.

16 Players. Not 13. I would even argue 17 players as Wagner is the perfect 13th forward on his league minimum deal for us.

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Mitts - Nuke
Wood - Colton - LOC
Kovalenko - ???? - ????
Wagner

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
???? - ????

George
Annunen

With Wagner as 13F, they've got roughly $5M to spend once you factor Nuke in at a cap hit of $5M this year.

Its tight but certainly not nearly as dire as you both are suggesting with the 13 players claim. $5M and 4 or 5 roster spots to fill.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Trouba to Utah?
I would have to think he has it somewhere closer, at least for now. I thought I read his wife is tied into New York for her job at least until 2025. Her career is the reason he left Winnipeg in the first place.

Though with a 15 team NTC, you don't hold all that many cards...

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
About 5 or so, but that was after I had sake at a Japanese restaurant prior to that and few more cocktails at the beach earlier.

All inclusive vacation all you can eat and drink LOL… it’s none stop
Was the blonde part of the all inclusive nature of the vacation? Maybe there's an argument there that in order to maximize the value of the all inclusive trip, you need to take advantage of everything on offer?

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad