Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Skinner will get a ~3M one year contract somewhere, similar to Duchene last year

We can't really afford that

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So this is me taking MacKinnon's comments at face value re: Nichushkin playing for the Avs the rest of his career if possible. This roster takes into account Nichushkin's cap hit being ~1.6M cheaper due to his suspension, there are no extras because I don't know how to do that with Nichushkin's contract on CapFriendly but you can take that ~1.6M and put it towards 2 healthy scratch skaters for a 22 man roster:

Drouin (3.5M) - MacKinnon (12.6M) - Rantanen (9.25M)
Skinner (2M) - Mittelstadt (5.75M) - Nichushkin (4.525M)
Landeskog (7M) - Ritchie (925K) - Lehkonen (4.5M)
Wood (2.5M) - Lorentz (1M) - O'Connor (1.05M)

Toews (7.25M) - Makar (9M)
Girard (5M) - Manson (4.5M)
Behrens (905K) - Edmundson (900K)

Georgiev (3.4M)
Annunen (837K)

Wagner (775K)
Jones (775K)

This roster has $6,000 in cap space lmao.

This roster obviously has perfections to it (Skinner only taking 2M, Drouin coming in at 3.5M, finding a 4C and 3RD for a combined 1.9M) but it IS doable by only trading Colton for draft picks.

• Love
Reactions: Murzu

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Skinner will get a ~3M one year contract somewhere, similar to Duchene last year

We can't really afford that
That's less than Drouin...

tenor.gif

Reactions: Avs44 and LOFIN

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Safe to say Jeff Skinner is going to a contender and likely for cheap deal. We need to make every effort to look into signing him.
Wouldn't go that far. I like his skill set but bottom line he is an absolutely ATROCIOUS player defensively. You're basically going to get outscored at even strength when he's on the ice.

I see him as a viable replacement for Drouin should the latter walk but if Jo is staying then, no.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wouldn't go that far. I like his skill set but bottom line he is an absolutely ATROCIOUS player defensively. You're basically going to get outscored at even strength when he's on the ice.

I see him as a viable replacement for Drouin should the latter walk but if Jo is staying then, no.
People really overstate how bad Skinner is defensively. He's not amazing, but he's not nearly as bad as stats people go on about.

Skinner has not been outscored 5v5 since 20-21. He's played 14 seasons, he's only been negative 5v5 in 6 seasons. The last two seasons, his net GA 5v5 is +30. Only MacK, Toews and Rants are over +30. That's on a much worse team. He does have issues 3v3 and with an empty net he gets wildly outscored... but he is a very strong net positive 5v5.

Reactions: The Moops
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The thing with Skinner is that there were plenty of rumours saying he wanted to be as close to Toronto as possible, so I don’t even see him as an option. Maybe things have changed now, but not holding my breath.

With all the logic being stated...
Drouin-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Mittelstadt-Skinner

Get all the Jr. linemates back together!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How was Skinner with Mitens?
Excellent

Skinner last year was nowhere near the level of player that Drouin was.
Drouin has never scored 35 goals or had more than 40 assists... something Skinner did in 22-23.

When both are at their best, it isn't even close Skinner is a tier or two better player. Skinner certainly isn't always at his best (neither is Drouin for that matter). Skinner would add a legit 30g threat to this team and he'd do it for a bargain basement price. If we're talking excess value, Skinner is probably one of the guys with the highest chance of providing that.

Reactions: The Moops

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
So this is me taking MacKinnon's comments at face value re: Nichushkin playing for the Avs the rest of his career if possible. This roster takes into account Nichushkin's cap hit being ~1.6M cheaper due to his suspension, there are no extras because I don't know how to do that with Nichushkin's contract on CapFriendly but you can take that ~1.6M and put it towards 2 healthy scratch skaters for a 22 man roster:

Drouin (3.5M) - MacKinnon (12.6M) - Rantanen (9.25M)
Skinner (2M) - Mittelstadt (5.75M) - Nichushkin (4.525M)
Landeskog (7M) - Ritchie (925K) - Lehkonen (4.5M)
Wood (2.5M) - Lorentz (1M) - O'Connor (1.05M)

Toews (7.25M) - Makar (9M)
Girard (5M) - Manson (4.5M)
Behrens (905K) - Edmundson (900K)

Georgiev (3.4M)
Annunen (837K)

Wagner (775K)
Jones (775K)

This roster has $6,000 in cap space lmao.

This roster obviously has perfections to it (Skinner only taking 2M, Drouin coming in at 3.5M, finding a 4C and 3RD for a combined 1.9M) but it IS doable by only trading Colton for draft picks.
Based on last year's schedule, you should expect Nuke's total cap hit to come in about 5M.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It all comes down to numbers. The odds are that Skinner would be cheaper than Drouin, that's what matters here.
If you can get Skinner for $2m, there's a chance that nobody has to be traded and both Nuke and Landy fit. Drouin clearly has to walk in that case, but possible.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Having a 2nd chance at a burakovsky level goal threat with Skinner is a pretty hard thing to pass up. If he’s gonna be cheap, it’s a no brainer. The team can definitely use an additional goal threat.

Between being friends with Landeskog, Mitts here as a center, perennial playoff team, if there was ever a chance, you have to think the best chance to get him is now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty sure we can have Mike Hoffman for 1 year at league minimum.
Skinner over the last 3 seasons... 92 goals, 43rd in the league. Hoffman 39 and 216th in the league. Not even in the same realm here.

If Skinner is on (and he's been up and down in his career), he's a 1st line level scoring talent. Even last year he popped 24 goals which would have been 4th on the Avs... on a much lower scoring team. He's had 30+ goals 6 times in his career including 2 of the last 3 seasons. If you can get him and he's at the same or less AAV than Drouin while only having 1 year of term, he's a no brainer.

I would never want to sign Skinner with term at this point, but for one year at 2-3m... there probably isn't a much better value signing out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad