GDT: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (HFSJ Edition) - Round 1: Fri, Jun 28 4pm PT/7pm ET | Rounds 2-7: Sat, Jun 29, 8:30am PT/11:30am ET

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
This could be the best draft in sharks history. However, that's not that hard when you are given the #1 pick, and trade away all your good players.

Grier has made an army of bad moves/signings since he came. He did well dumping the bad contracts for the most part, but he also used much of that savings up to now on absolute garbarge. Kunin, sturm, lindbom, Buroughs, Benning, G Smith, and co have been absolute garbarge for the money they cost and they all came not as salary dumps like Hoffman but as his own signings. Quinn to coach was also just horrific. I am not a fan of warsofsky either, though I hope im wrong there.

Walman trade is reasonable for the 2nd rounder (love the LSW pick!), but the goodrow play was horrific. Adding a 3.4M 4th liner who doesnt want to be here and getting nothing in return?? very strange...

Time will tell, but so far, Grier has not added anything of quality. It feels like he is resigned to giving up another year, possibly two, at the very bottom. Any GM can build a great farm if they suck for long enough. Pens did it. They sucked year after year and acquired top picks like sid/malkin/fluery/Whitney/Staal as top five picks 5 years in a row. Thats not amazing GM work. that's prolonged sucking.

A great GM would see this summer and next summer as the chance to deploy big cap on quality vets. Now that the draft is over, they can pencil in Eklund, Zetterlund, Smith, Celebrini, Graf, and likely two of Musty/Haltunnen/ Bystedt/Edstrom/CHernyshov/Afansyev/Guschkin/Bordy/other to be in the linup. That's likely 7 to 9 forward roster spots filled over the next 2 years and for the foreseeable future. That means they need 3 top end free agent forwards to fill out the forward roster forever. Figure 7M per = 21M of additional cap for forwards.

On D: Dickinson and Mukh are likely. Thrun perhaps too. Here is where the sharks need to invest in FA's or trades. figure signing 3 good vet D for 7M per and thats 21M too.

Thats 42M in added cap space for 3 top line vet forwards and 3 top line vet D.

The rest of the forwards are the aforementioned ones that sum up to just 10-20M total mostly on ELCs.

The D too would be largely ELC/Filler and cost just 5M.

Add in 6M for goaltending and your total cap hit is just 72M (not including Vlasic or Granny who are short term fillers)

This is why I think its time now for grier to start bringin in high end vets in their late 20's for 7 year deals. They wont be able to add this much UFA talent in one summer. They need to start accumulating quality vet guys now in my opinion. Having an army of ELCs is a massive boon but its completely wasted the talent you bring in is Walman and Goodrow. They dont have to tank again and waste the first year of smith and eklund and graf's seocnd ELC year and possibly Mack's first ELC year too. Losing those super cheap years with a garbage roster that tanks hurts. Put in the quality guys and lets shoot to make Playoffs this year.

We have a cupboard stocked enough, lets get some wins!
I think you highly underestimate the impossibility of the task Grier had of bringing in actual good players via free agency previously (which very well could continue this summer, and we'll see about next). He had no chance at actual quality players, so while it's true that guys like Burroughs, Lindblom, and Smith turned out badly, if you expected some diamonds instead, I feel like you're delusional.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
This could be the best draft in sharks history. However, that's not that hard when you are given the #1 pick, and trade away all your good players.

Grier has made an army of bad moves/signings since he came. He did well dumping the bad contracts for the most part, but he also used much of that savings up to now on absolute garbarge. Kunin, sturm, lindbom, Buroughs, Benning, G Smith, and co have been absolute garbarge for the money they cost and they all came not as salary dumps like Hoffman but as his own signings. Quinn to coach was also just horrific. I am not a fan of warsofsky either, though I hope im wrong there.

Walman trade is reasonable for the 2nd rounder (love the LSW pick!), but the goodrow play was horrific. Adding a 3.4M 4th liner who doesnt want to be here and getting nothing in return?? very strange...

Time will tell, but so far, Grier has not added anything of quality. It feels like he is resigned to giving up another year, possibly two, at the very bottom. Any GM can build a great farm if they suck for long enough. Pens did it. They sucked year after year and acquired top picks like sid/malkin/fluery/Whitney/Staal as top five picks 5 years in a row. Thats not amazing GM work. that's prolonged sucking.

A great GM would see this summer and next summer as the chance to deploy big cap on quality vets. Now that the draft is over, they can pencil in Eklund, Zetterlund, Smith, Celebrini, Graf, and likely two of Musty/Haltunnen/ Bystedt/Edstrom/CHernyshov/Afansyev/Guschkin/Bordy/other to be in the linup. That's likely 7 to 9 forward roster spots filled over the next 2 years and for the foreseeable future. That means they need 3 top end free agent forwards to fill out the forward roster forever. Figure 7M per = 21M of additional cap for forwards.

On D: Dickinson and Mukh are likely. Thrun perhaps too. Here is where the sharks need to invest in FA's or trades. figure signing 3 good vet D for 7M per and thats 21M too.

The rest of the forwards are the aforementioned ones that sum up to just 10-20M total mostly on ELCs.

Add in 6M for goaltending and your total cap hit is just 72M (not including Vlasic or Granny who are short term fillers)

This is why I think its time now for grier to start bringin in high end vets in their late 20's for 7 year deals. They wont be able to add this much UFA talent in one summer. They need to start accumulating quality vet guys now in my opinion. Having an army of ELCs is a massive boon but its completely wasted the talent you bring in is Walman and Goodrow. They dont have to tank again and waste the first year of smith and eklund and graf's seocnd ELC year and possibly Mack's first ELC year too. Losing those super cheap years with a garbage roster that tanks hurts. Put in the quality guys and lets shoot to make Playoffs this year.

That would be such a waste. You add Hensler you have potential to be a long term contender.

You waste a ton of money on Guentzel and Montour and you just won't win anything.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

It is interesting to learn that Celebrini, Smith and Dickinson are nothing of quality, that cap space is precious and yet should be dolled out like candy on Halloween, and that a great GM should be able to get quality veterans to sign with a team that had about half the points needed to make the play-offs last season.

I have so much to learn....

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. The easy parts are done, now you need to find a way to convert your assets into a functioning team. So far, Grier has acquired a horde of bottom six forwards in a bid to get "tougher to play against", while the team really need much more skill to ever get anywhere

Reactions: sampler

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. The easy parts are done, now you need to find a way to convert your assets into a functioning team. So far, Grier has acquired a horde of bottom six forwards in a bid to get "tougher to play against", while the team really need much more skill to ever get anywhere

I think we’re judging an incomplete picture here. Grier has been treading water while stripping the team down to the barebones. This summer is his first step in putting it all back together and there are still a bunch of hurdles. But he’s obviously not done yet - he said himself he wants at least a scorer and a dman. I’m sure there’ll be moves coming.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think we’re judging an incomplete picture here. Grier has been treading water while stripping the team down to the barebones. This summer is his first step in putting it all back together and there are still a bunch of hurdles. But he’s obviously not done yet - he said himself he wants at least a scorer and a dman. I’m sure there’ll be moves coming.
We will see, I understand it cant all happen in one year, but I am very afraid of the sharks becoming the Arizona Coyotes by never really improving and just expecting things to change over time.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

Just an insane take on many levels. Grier was handed one of the worst situations of any professional sports teams in North America, not just the NHL. He’s gotten excellent value on the contracts he’s shed and has also gotten excellent value out of those assets he obtained.

He has not been perfect, but I’m surely not going to judge him for having to overpay role players to come to San Jose and play for a team everyone knows is horrible and nowhere close to contention.

His priority in free agency right now should not be to dole out massive amounts of money to overpay guys, it should be to bring in veterans and leaders on short term deals to make life easier on the younger guys and show them the ropes as they grow.

We are still years away, and he has a lot left to prove, but thus far, he’s done a tremendous job of restarting this franchise.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
i don’t like appealing to authority but the future of this team is so much more hopeful after 2 years with Grier that I fully trust the Griezerplan.

He set out on a mission and he has systematically achieved his goals, autocorrected where he needed to, and actively works to make smart decisions to push us forward as quickly as possible.

We’re still going to suck this season but it’s going to be a much more fun team to watch (I think… I hope… need help on defense badly) and I think the year after next is really going to be the big turnaround… if all goes well.

But yeah, I’m all in on Mike.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
MG has done an awesome job of burning the roster down while rebuilding the system with top end prospects. To this point he has only had to find low quality depth pieces since we were in the middle of the tank. I think as we start to get better the next step is showing he can acquire top of the lineup veteran roster players now.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Mike Grier has done basically everything perfectly since taking over. Some questionable signings but he's made those all easily rectifiable (i.e. Benning's cap, trading Burroughs for Grundstrom, short-term signings as a whole). Every day he keeps making the future look brighter for the Sharks and it's the highest hopes I've had for the franchise in almost a decade.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Now that I’ve read a bit more about some of the picks after the second round I’m liking the back half of the draft. I already loved the first three picks, so everything else is a cherry topper.

As far as Grier goes, I’m solidly onboard with the direction he’s taken the org. I think a lot of noise over some of the minor signings and trades (e.g. Zadina, Lindblom, Kaut, Benning, Burroughs, etc) is overstating the impact of these deals. If they hit you got some flippable assets with minimal investment, and if they don’t you’ve lost nothing but a little bit of a billionaire’s bag and time (which normally would be bad, but so much of this rebuild is just going to be letting the clock run for a bit). It’s super easy to criticize the outcomes in retrospect when we’re talking about a collection of distressed assets and unvalued players.

In a lot of ways, and as painful as it has been to watch at times, Grier taking time to sift through the bargain bin is how he got the team in a position to draft Celebrini, Smith, and Chernyshov. Historical league-wide UFA aversion to signing in SJ aside, it’s not like there was a realistic pitch or cap space Grier could give to land more significant UFAs; nor should he have been out there chasing them. Along the way he has picked up some seemingly worthwhile additions like Blackwood, Thrun, Emberson, Kostin, and …OMG …Kunin (who I think can be a contributing part to an identity 4th line.)

Here’s what I’ll be paying attention, in regards to Grier, to over the intermediate term:
  1. What is Mike’s plan to ensure the team isn’t getting curb stomped on a nightly basis? It seems to me on like they are desperately in need of a bonafide top-4 right shot puck mover and a solid top-6 scorer. Perhaps Warso can put together a system that helps, but it still feels to me that the roster as currently constructed is still short on the overall talent to keep things respectable.
  2. I think this UFA season will be interesting to see if Grier has shifted the narrative enough to land a UFA from the next tier up without sacrificing long-term cap health. Can he add a legit 3/4 defender, a second line scorer? Can he do it without handing out extra term?
  3. What’s the future for Bordeleau and Guschin? Both have basically shown they can succeed in the AHL. What are they to the Sharks roster? Where do they fit in Mike’s roster? If they don’t, can they be flipped for a piece(s) that do fit?
  4. What kind of return can he get for Granlund, Rutta, Blackwood, or other expendable veterans when the time comes? I’d like to see Grier continuing to add top-60 picks to the team’s next two draft boards.
  5. The org now has young players or prospects in the pipeline that could conceivably cover all four forward lines and left shot defense. What are the plans to shore up the right side of the defense and goaltending long-term?

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Going through some post-draft EP content. Here’s their review of our draft:

San Jose Sharks​

Picks: Macklin Celebrini (No. 1 overall), Sam Dickinson(11), Igor Chernyshov (33), Leo Sahlin Wallenius (53), Carson Wetsch (82), Christian Kirsch (116), Colton Roberts (131), Nate Misskey (143), Yaroslav Korostelyov (194)

This draft was always going to be franchise-changing for the Sharks. In Celebrini, they got their No. 1 centre of the future, someone who will boost the talent of every other player around him. Then another set of potential core players fell into their laps with their next two picks, making this draft an even stronger building block for the team.

Dickinson could establish himself in the team’s top-four, and Chernyshov, a skilled power forward, on one of their top-six lines. These players also both possess solid floors. Even if they fail to reach their upside, they could play roles down the team’s lineup.

Sahlin-Wallenius, Wetsch, and Roberts all have about the same chance to become bottom-pairing defencemen for the team. Roberts and Wetsch both have similarly interesting skating and physical abilities, while Wallenius relies more on his hockey sense to make stops.

We ranked Misskey at 90th overall. The Sharks drafted him at 143rd overall. He’s a hard-hitting, smart defenceman who's on an upward development curve.

Grade: A+
Looking at the three-round mock draft they did Thursday, we got some real value compared to where they had our guys going: Celebrini (1), Dickinson (8), Chernyshov (19), Sahlin-Wallenius (48), Wetsch (74).

A random note: apparently the reason EJ Emery had an injury revealed at the combine that made some teams uncomfortable taking him in the 1st. They didn’t elaborate, and this is the first I’m hearing of it.

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
As far as Grier goes, I’m solidly onboard with the direction he’s taken the org. I think a lot of noise over some of the minor signings and trades (e.g. Zadina, Lindblom, Kaut, Benning, Burroughs, etc) is overstating the impact of these deals. If they hit you got some flippable assets with minimal investment, and if they don’t you’ve lost nothing but a little bit of a billionaire’s bag and time (which normally would be bad, but so much of this rebuild is just going to be letting the clock run for a bit). It’s super easy to criticize the outcomes in retrospect when we’re talking about a collection of distressed assets and unvalued players.

I don't know if there was a "master plan" but I think the flow of thought season-by-season was/is:

Year 1: Bring in some new depth players to stabilize the bottom of the roster. See if the remaining high level players (Karlsson, Meier, Hertl, etc.) can still contribute at a level high enough to avoid a full teardown. Answer: No.

Year 2: Replace the previous skill players with others that could regain form with more play time on a new team. These new skill players could then be flipped for younger assets or picks to accelerate a full rebuild. Answer: Absolutely no on regaining form, mixed on getting younger assets. However, the lotto balls fell in the right place.

Year 3: Some high end young talent may start to show up on the big squad. The plan may be to A) add depth with leadership qualities and B) acquire bodies to shelter the youth. We'll definitely know more once Monday arrives.

I think Grier has done a good job adjusting to what he had during each stage and moving onto a logical next step. As long as the draft picks hit, small issues with free agent and trade acquisitions won't be a huge issue. If the picks don't hit, welcome to Buffalo territory.

Reactions: weastern bias

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Mike Griers trade prowess is absolute hammered dog shit but his drafting is absolute top tier super critical for a rebuild which is looking fast tracked
He got us out of Karlsson's 11.5 million dollar contract with tiny retention AND got us the 1st that got us Dickenson.

Everyone said we would have to retain 50% AND pay someone a pick.

I'm not sure what you expected there, but that was more of a miracle than miracle on ice.

He also did good on the Timo trade.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Going through some post-draft EP content. Here’s their review of our draft:

Looking at the three-round mock draft they did Thursday, we got some real value compared to where they had our guys going: Celebrini (1), Dickinson (8), Chernyshov (19), Sahlin-Wallenius (48), Wetsch (74).

A random note: apparently the reason EJ Emery had an injury revealed at the combine that made some teams uncomfortable taking him in the 1st. They didn’t elaborate, and this is the first I’m hearing of it.
Are they converting Wetsch to Defenseman? :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad