Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Since you somehow know Val isn't going to play for the Avs what do you think they are going to do with him.

Buyout costs cap space, but is plausible at least.

Contract termination can be attempted but there really isn't grounds for it. The legal flight the NHLPA will absolutely pursue will be something to watch. Might work but I doubt it, can't even imagine trying to terminate a valid contract without just cause. It's almost like you don't understand how a contract works. You can't just terminate it because you feel like it.

Trade is extremely unlikely. Near impossible.

Buried in minors doesn't really accomplish a whole ton.

So honestly the most likely scenario would be come back and play.
They won’t buy him out with 6 years remaining on the contract. I think the most likely scenario is they give him one more chance, if he screws up again then contract termination. Or he might not even make it through this 6 month program

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
IMO, the 3 most plausible scenarios for Nuke are:
1 - contract termination with a settlement and cap penalty to the Avs (fair guess would be 3M)
2 - Nuke completes the program and re-joins the team because the Avs don’t like their other legal options
3 - Nuke screws up in the next 6 months and gets a further 1 year suspension.

I just don’t believe any of the other options are feasible.

Reactions: chet1926

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Are they gonna test him during those 6 months? What if he stays in Russia the whole time?
He requires an in patient treatment to get clean.
He has to complete that first. No idea what the requirements for the league are. But he’s clearly at a point where 1 mistake is a year long suspension. His leash is as short as it can be.

Reactions: Bender

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Are they gonna test him during those 6 months? What if he stays in Russia the whole time?
Is he in Russia? Can he complete the requirements if he is there. There is so many things we don’t know that are protected through
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They won’t buy him out with 6 years remaining on the contract. I think the most likely scenario is they give him one more chance, if he screws up again then contract termination. Or he might not even make it through this 6 month program
I agree, I don't envision a scenario where Val doesn't play next year with Avs short of failing to make it through the 6 month program.

The options otherwise are just not favorable to the Avs.

Reactions: the_fan

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I agree, I don't envision a scenario where Val doesn't play next year with Avs short of failing to make it through the 6 month program.

The options otherwise are just not favorable to the Avs.
I think a contract termination with a cap penalty is most definitely one of the primary options.
It may not be ideal, but it does provide finality and an ability to navigate off-seasons with a known penalty.

Best thing for the Avs is for Val to randomly sign a contract in the KHL and f*** off to Russia forever.
Is there any chance the KHL can pay a contract similar to what the Avs are paying him?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, I would assume it’s a 6 month program with scheduled drug counseling classes and random drug testing. Don’t think he can be in Russia during the program

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Since you somehow know Val isn't going to play for the Avs what do you think they are going to do with him.

Buyout costs cap space, but is plausible at least.
Not this year it doesn't. It actually saves us even more cap space. And next year the buyout would only be a $500k penalty.

It would hurt for years 3-6, but it could still be managed quite frankly. Years 3 and 4 would only be $3M penalties.

I dont think I'd go the buyout route, I would just terminate for contract violation as soon as he is out of the 6 months program.

But I think a buyout would be a very viable option as well. It would give us a very clear 2 year window to go all in with this group then start the "rebuild" in July 2026.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The other important part to look at here is that, while we’re concerned with how Nukes problem affects the Avs, Nuke is also in an extremely uncomfortable spot.
He’s already set to lose about 1.33M dollars from this suspension. His 24-25 salary is 8M, and it’s the highest amount per year he’s going to make. Each of the next years salaries are lower. He’s one small screw up from losing that if he gets tested and fails at some point in the season.

He’s got a lot to lose.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The other important part to look at here is that, while we’re concerned with how Nukes problem affects the Avs, Nuke is also in an extremely uncomfortable spot.
He’s already set to lose about 1.33M dollars from this suspension. His 24-25 salary is 8M, and it’s the highest amount per year he’s going to make. Each of the next years salaries are lower. He’s one small screw up from losing that if he gets tested and fails at some point in the season.

He’s got a lot to lose.
He's already lost 2 potential stanley cups as well.

There's no need for the rest of our players to potentially lose a third. I wish Nuke all the best and truly hope he does beat his addiction. But if I was Makar or MacKinnon I would absolutely demand a trade if CMac tried to put him back in the locker-room.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's already lost 2 potential stanley cups as well.

There's no need for the rest of our players to potentially lose a third. I wish Nuke all the best and truly hope he does beat his addiction. But if I was Makar or MacKinnon I would absolutely demand a trade if CMac tried to put him back in the locker-room.
Was a Nuke a major reason the Avs lost the past 2 years? 100%.

But he wasn't the sole reason, and replacing him with another $6 mil player probably doesn't get the Avs over the hump. Edmonton has ~$10 mil in useless cap space between Campbell and Nurse and they're in the WCF. If the Avs can't win a series without Nuke, they weren't going to win the cup that year anyways.

Quite frankly, I don't see the Avs winning without Nuke as long as Bednar is at the helm.

Reactions: Alienblood

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Likely not the equivalent dollar amount, but Nuke may not have to pay taxes in Russia, along with other benefits, that could balance things out in his favor.
I have no idea what the finances are.

But Nuke is owed about 30M over the next 6 years.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think next year we see Georgiev’s workload reduced and a better all around season because of it. That’s not to say I think he should be our long term goalie, but I think that’s the approach they take next year with him. We likely see Annunen get in the range of 25-30 games and reduce Georgiev to that 50-55 range.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Him and his agent are going to fight as hard as they can to get that 30M. All of it.

What’s stopping the team from terminating once his suspension is over?

Richards, Ruzicka and hell even Perry have all had their contracts terminated based upon violation of workplace policy.

I think Avs management wants to keep him because he’s an elite player, but it feels like at any moment he could slip up and be pulled back into the program.

The whole $13m+ essentially being held hostage is tough. Hopefully this year provides some clarity on both Landy and Nuke.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What’s stopping the team from terminating once his suspension is over?

Richards, Ruzicka and hell even Perry have all had their contracts terminated based upon violation of workplace policy.

I think Avs management wants to keep him because he’s an elite player, but it feels like at any moment he could slip up and be pulled back into the program.

The whole $13m+ essentially being held hostage is tough. Hopefully this year provides some clarity on both Landy and Nuke.
I don't know about the others but Perry simply agreed to have his contract terminated. There was no fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad