Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Another brilliant take.
They aren't trading a guy they traded for and signed to an extension last year as a cap dump this year. They sure as hell aren't going to cap dump a center, since we only have 1 signed that can pay at the NHL level, other than Colton and that's 29. Mitts is not re-signed and even when he does sign, still don't see us cap dumping our only other NHL capable center on the roster. Forward position especially center is incredibly shallow within the organization.

If they are looking to shed salary in cap dump scenario, the most likely candidates would have to be either 49 or to 42 both dmen.

Personally I don't see us doing any cap dumps, but I'd be stunned if it was Colton.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If the Avs move on from Manson, I’d love to see them bring in Liljegren. He’s a 4/5, but the Avs need a cheap option at RD, and he fits the bill. Would need to beef up that third pairing after that, but he’d fill in well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO we are in for a pretty bland summer. We will probably get at least a signal of the Nuke situation (which I personally think will be spend the 10% overage and then terminate when he's out of PAP), but beyond that there just isn't much.

Lehky (4.5) - MacK (12.6) - Rants (9.5)
Landy (7.0) - Mitts (6.0)-Nuke (6.125) or Drouin (4.0)+ ~2m Nuke hit
Wood (2.5) - Colton (4.0) - LOC (1.05)
___-___-Kovi (.897)
____

Toews (7.25) - Makar (9.0)
Girard (5.0) - Manson (4.5)
____-____
____

George (3.4)
Annunen (.838)

That's in the realm of 78m. So 10m for those final 6-7 spots. I'd figure one 4th liner probably gets 2m. A run of the mill bottom pairing D at 1.5m. Then a whole lot of call up, prospect or near minimum vets to fill out. If they average around $1m. That would leave the Avs with about 1-2m to accrue.

This will pretty much be a run it back roster that'll target a Larsson and Mangiapane sort of duo at the deadline. If goaltending goes to absolute garbage, they may work to support that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So in the event Nichushkin's cap charge is 2M and the Avs free up just over 4M, could this potentially work?

Re-sign Mittelstadt 5 years, 5.75M
Re-sign Drouin 4 years, 3.5M
Sign Hakanpaa 2 years, 1.75M
Sign Tyler Johnson 1 year, 1.5M

Leaves just over league min for a 4C

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Lehkonen
Wood - Colton - Johnson
Kovalenko - 4C - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - Hakanpaa

Georgiev
Annunen

I don't mind that roster but Landeskog has to stay healthy which is the elephant in the room.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So in the event Nichushkin's cap charge is 2M and the Avs free up just over 4M, could this potentially work?

Re-sign Mittelstadt 5 years, 5.75M
Re-sign Drouin 4 years, 3.5M
Sign Hakanpaa 2 years, 1.75M
Sign Tyler Johnson 1 year, 1.5M

Leaves just over league min for a 4C

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Lehkonen
Wood - Colton - Johnson
Kovalenko - 4C - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - Hakanpaa

Georgiev
Annunen

I don't mind that roster but Landeskog has to stay healthy which is the elephant in the room.

Yeah that works and should be about the expectation. IMO it is a clear step down from the playoff roster, but whatever the roster ends up being, the deadline will be key.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
IMO we are in for a pretty bland summer. We will probably get at least a signal of the Nuke situation (which I personally think will be spend the 10% overage and then terminate when he's out of PAP), but beyond that there just isn't much.

___-___-Kovi (.897)
____

____-____
____

George (3.4)
Annunen (.838)

That's in the realm of 78m. So 10m for those final 6-7 spots. I'd figure one 4th liner probably gets 2m. A run of the mill bottom pairing D at 1.5m. Then a whole lot of call up, prospect or near minimum vets to fill out. If they average around $1m. That would leave the Avs with about 1-2m to accrue.

This will pretty much be a run it back roster that'll target a Larsson and Mangiapane sort of duo at the deadline. If goaltending goes to absolute garbage, they may work to support that.
I think your math might be off there, as that group adds up to 84 million. 83 million if you have Nuke returning due to cap savings while he is suspended. That gives you 5 million to spend on the last 6 spots.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think your math might be off there, as that group adds up to 84 million. 83 million if you have Nuke returning due to cap savings while he is suspended. That gives you 5 million to spend on the last 6 spots.
You're correct, I didn't add in Mitts. That states even more of a bland offseason. There just isn't much here that can be tweaked without some major drawbacks to one position or another. Which just points to not much happening until the deadline.

Reactions: hockeyfish

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
You're correct, I didn't add in Mitts. That states even more of a bland offseason. There just isn't much here that can be tweaked without some major drawbacks to one position or another. Which just points to not much happening until the deadline.
Yes, very true. Although the scenerio of Mitts @ 6M, Drouin @ 4M, and Val's penelty @ 2M would bery very hard to fit under the cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, very true. Although the scenerio of Mitts @ 6M, Drouin @ 4M, and Val's penelty @ 2M would bery very hard to fit under the cap.
IMO that's why we see a whole lot of nothing. We're talking 4th line and bottom pairing as the spots. To improve the 3rd line or middle pairing likely means taking from the defense or the wing... robbing Peter to pay Paul. Avs already pulled that move from the defense to shore up center. Can't see them doing it again on defense to shore up wing now... Especially when we are talking about just 1 top 9 spot, where there is a solution in some manner (either Nuke staying or Drouin signing + Nuke penalty). So when we're talking depth, Avs will just make it work until the deadline. Then have to be busy again there.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Question....does Nukes salary cap hit count during the offseason while he's suspended?

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Technically, no. Practically, yes.
So why do you expect the Avs to use the 10% overage in the offseason if you aren't counting Nukes salary? Or is that factoring in Nukes salary even tho it's not counting until he's reinstated (and then hopefully immediately terminated).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So why do you expect the Avs to use the 10% overage in the offseason if you aren't counting Nukes salary? Or is that factoring in Nukes salary even tho it's not counting until he's reinstated (and then hopefully immediately terminated).
Factoring it in. I'm stating the Avs will likely be rolling into camp with over 88m cap hit on the books including Nuke, if that situation isn't handled prior.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So with the cap going back up, does anyone expect any UFAs to still get pinched and end up having to take a one-year deal at a lower price somewhere?

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Factoring it in. I'm stating the Avs will likely be rolling into camp with over 88m cap hit on the books including Nuke, if that situation isn't handled prior.
Ahh I see. Ya I agree. I think their intention will be to terminate, with or without a cap penalty. I don't think his teammates will support him anymore. Avs locker room also needs a bit of a culture shakeup. Hopefully Nuke out and Landy in will go a long ways in that direction.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

___-___-Kovi (.897)
____

____-____
____

George (3.4)
Annunen (.838)

That's in the realm of 78m. So 10m for those final 6-7 spots. I'd figure one 4th liner pro
bably gets 2m. A run of the mill bottom pairing D at 1.5m. Then a whole lot of call up, prospect or near minimum vets to fill out. If they average around $1m. That would leave the Avs with about 1-2m to accrue.

Trade MacK. Spiciness levels achieved.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They aren't trading a guy they traded for and signed to an extension last year as a cap dump this year. They sure as hell aren't going to cap dump a center, since we only have 1 signed that can pay at the NHL level, other than Colton and that's 29. Mitts is not re-signed and even when he does sign, still don't see us cap dumping our only other NHL capable center on the roster. Forward position especially center is incredibly shallow within the organization.

If they are looking to shed salary in cap dump scenario, the most likely candidates would have to be either 49 or to 42 both dmen.

Personally I don't see us doing any cap dumps, but I'd be stunned if it was Colton.
I mean I was #1 on the trade Girard bandwagon but that was before trading Byram. It'd be a tough blow to lose Girard and Byram.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

___-___-Kovi (.897)
____

____-____
____

George (3.4)
Annunen (.838)

Yep... The only thing they could maybe do is trading futures to get someone on a cheap contract and/or retention.

I doubt they do it since they just traded a bunch of futures as well... But I'm theory they could use the 2024 1st at the draft to grab someone decent who's on a decent contract as well. IE a Ferarro with retention, but that feels very unlikely.

They'll sign Drouin, sign a couple cheap depth guys, and that's it. Largely the same roster next year but with Landy in for Nuke at some point.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yep... The only thing they could maybe do is trading futures to get someone on a cheap contract and/or retention.

I doubt they do it since they just traded a bunch of futures as well... But I'm theory they could use the 2024 1st at the draft to grab someone decent who's on a decent contract as well. IE a Ferarro with retention, but that feels very unlikely.

They'll sign Drouin, sign a couple cheap depth guys, and that's it. Largely the same roster next year but with Landy in for Nuke at some point.
Honestly, there is no telling how Landy does when he comes back. There's just sooo much rust to knock off, but on the other hand, he's a guy that doesn't shy from physical play and he's just had a couple of years to nurse every little ache and injury that would normally be building up at this point in his career. His body probably feels better than it has since his junior days.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I think this will be a July 1 announcement. No real reason as to why other than PR. It gives a nice press release and something to talk about at the end of the day to build some hype.
Considering there probably won't be any other news from this day except the Avs "missing out" on other players by refusing to offer too much money and/or too much term, I can see where they'd like to save it for this occasion.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly, there is no telling how Landy does when he comes back. There's just sooo much rust to knock off, but on the other hand, he's a guy that doesn't shy from physical play and he's just had a couple of years to nurse every little ache and injury that would normally be building up at this point in his career. His body probably feels better than it has since his junior days.

Ya I have no idea what he'll be like or what to expect. Could easily see him coming back as if he didn't miss a single game and is immediately a contributing Top 6F again. But I could just as easily see him struggling to keep up in a bottom 6 role as well.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Other than Drouin maybe re-signing, I don't expect any UFA signings. Just borderline NHL players like 4 depth forwards and 2 depth dman all at 800k and let them win out a roster spot, nothing that would really make a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00