Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well no I don't think Jost was that for us. Jost was a 4th line winger being asked to play 3C. I actually think Colton would make a fine 2nd line LW. I'm not certain he can play center all that well.

When one guy gets hurt and all of a sudden you look bad, it's telling. He and Wood needing LOC in order to have success makes Colton an over priced luxury.
I’m not saying he’s a great 3C, but he’s a 3C without a doubt. He’s okay defensively and decent offensively. I’d like to see how he does next year where he won’t be horribly overplayed for a most of the season. I mean he’s just a bang average 3C in the end.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’m not saying he’s a great 3C, but he’s a 3C without a doubt. He’s okay defensively and decent offensively. I’d like to see how he does next year where he won’t be horribly overplayed for a most of the season. I mean he’s just a bang average 3C in the end.
Yup Colton is just average. He’s better offensively that defensively, but his real key is his physical mindset. When he can create chaos he can be good. When he can’t, he’s rated easy to beat.

Avs are not moving on from him. The spent to get him, they re-signed him with a NTC, and he didnt perform that poorly.

Reactions: shadow1 and Bender

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Some folks really just have no idea what a 3C is. A lot of people expecting Danault by the sounds of it :laugh:

Colton is a fine 3C. Not high end, but not low end either. At $4M, we're simply getting what we paid for, good but not great.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Some folks really just have no idea what a 3C is. A lot of people expecting Danault by the sounds of it :laugh:

Colton is a fine 3C. Not high end, but not low end either. At $4M, we're simply getting what we paid for, good but not great.
The elite 3Cs who can step into a 2C role are mid 5s. Good 3Cs are 5m. Just what it is now, even if it is kinda insane.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
GPGAPSOG
Jets512312
Stars60112

Colton's season has a bad aftertaste due to how ineffective he was against Dallas. We know he plays a flawed game, but he wasn't able to do the things he does well in that series. The (2) shots tell the whole story.

He's pretty solid overall though. Colton's 40 points is actually a bit disappointing because for a huge chunk of the season he was pacing for around 50. But he had a slow start and a really slow finish.

The Avs cap situation is balls so I know it's temping to look at that $4M and think how it could be used elsewhere. But moving Colton means creating a hole at 3C to solve another problem. I don't see MacFarland doing that, not when the team is barely a year removed from the disaster of Eller/Meyers/Newhook at 3C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't think cmac would mess with his 1 2 3 centers he spent 2 seasons trying to figure out
No GM would. Everyone knows the prices of centers and the difficulty of filling the roles adequately. We can debate how adequately they are filled here, but CMac made a commitment to this group and will see it through.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don't think cmac would mess with his 1 2 3 centers he spent 2 seasons trying to figure out
Especially considering you aren’t getting a C better than Colton without spending significant assets and/or saving cap. Or just downgrading and creating a big hole down the middle.

Reactions: Linds

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019

Colton is approximately the 60th highest paid center in the league. Strictly by the numbers that's low end 2C, elite 3C salary.

He's overpaid for what he brings to THIS team. He doesn't PK or PP (barely), is poor defensively.

He also injured his teammates like twice this year because he is so dumb and reckless.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Colton is approximately the 60th highest paid center in the league. Strictly by the numbers that's low end 2C, elite 3C salary.

He's overpaid for what he brings to THIS team. He doesn't PK or PP (barely), is poor defensively.

He also injured his teammates like twice this year because he is so dumb and reckless.
Colton is on his deal that controls his first UFA years where he had arbitration rights and had filed for arbitration. You can't compare those to ELCs and deals off ELCs. Just different markets. Along with that, the cap moves. Colton's cap hit was about 4.8%.

Danault is the very definition of elite 3C $5.5m AAV
JGP High end 3C $5m
Compher good 3C $5.1m
Coyle high end 3C $5.25m
Gourde elite 3C $5.167m

Guys who have signed similar contracts to Colton: Chytil, Eller, Jenner, Faksa, Cizikas, Colin Wilson, Rask, Anisimov, Hartman...

Colton's contract is market value. It isn't better, it isn't worse.

Reactions: missionAvs

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Whatever happened to Ritchie's ELC. Mac made it sound like it was done when he had the end of season PC. Unless I misremembered.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Whatever happened to Ritchie's ELC. Mac made it sound like it was done when he had the end of season PC. Unless I misremembered.
I think this will be a July 1 announcement. No real reason as to why other than PR. It gives a nice press release and something to talk about at the end of the day to build some hype.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Ross Colton at 4M is a perfectly fine contract for a mid 3C. He's not elite 3C he's simply mid. With our current money problems this position can only be downgraded or completely risked on an ELC player like Ritchie if you choose to not go with Colton.

So if it were me I'd stick with the already capable 3C on an OK contract, that I know can play the role at a tolerable level. That line was great until LOC got hurt.

If you are looking for cap dumps Girard has to be, and is, the most likely candidate.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ross Colton at 4M is a perfectly fine contract for a mid 3C. He's not elite 3C he's simply mid. With our current money problems this position can only be downgraded or completely risked on an ELC player like Ritchie if you choose to not go with Colton.

So if it were me I'd stick with the already capable 3C on an OK contract, that I know can play the role at a tolerable level. That line was great until LOC got hurt.

If you are looking for cap dumps Girard has to be, and is, the most likely candidate.
Girard has more value to this team than Colton does.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Another brilliant take.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Don't see the Avs going to 3 top 4 Dmen at all considering 1/4 will probably be day to day (at minimum) all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad