Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t mind keeping Georgiev. He only has one more year on his contract. After game 1 vs the Jets, I thought he was fine
If we were in a better situation upgrading Georgiev would be a good idea but we have so much stuff going on there's no way we can spend assets and/or allocate more cap space on goaltending.

So not happening unless a team wants to swap their cheaper and better goaltender for Georgiev (which isn't happening either).

Reactions: the_fan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So not happening unless a team wants to swap their cheaper and better goaltender for Georgiev (which isn't happening either).
They don't exist either. Unless you bring in one of the bonafied, pencilled in as potential Vezina caliber goalies (and even they have down years), don't f***ing bother. There is just as much chance of that move backfiring on you as there is for it to succeed.

Name me a cheaper goalie that you perceive as better than Georgiev, and the chances are he's not that much better. They don't exist. There are not enough good goalies in this league, period.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Fourgiev sucks. The fact is the Avs did not win a single game without scoring at least 4 goals against Dallas. They were down by 3 goals in game 1 and 4 goals in game 2. That's not giving your team a chance to win.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have 2 bigger issues to worry about before we worry about goaltending. Until Landy and Val situations get resolved, the Avs aren’t going anywhere even if we had Ullmark in net

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
We have 2 bigger issues to worry about before we worry about goaltending. Until Landy and Val situations get resolved, the Avs aren’t going anywhere even if we had Ullmark in net
Seriously it's like people around here just like to gloss over the fact we are at a 14M deficit going into the season.

Landeskog and Nuke exist and are huge problems in terms of money. I think the projections have the salary cap around 87-88M. However the Avs have a salary cap of around 74M.

The Avs have to be able to field a complete team for 74M because we aren't LTIRing Landy and Nuke there are no options. You have to assume Landy isn't going to be ready day 1 based on the comments from the press conference and Nuke isn't available until earliest mid Nov. So even though those 2 guys aren't playing they count towards the final number.

With Nuke and Landy we are already at 77.8M committed. Landy and Nuke can't play so means we have 7F, 4D, and 2G capable of playing day 1. And that's pushing it since LOC and Lehk are both in the 7F above and they might not be ready.

So we are at 10M to sign at minimum 5F and 2D. Not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_fan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seriously it's like people around here just like to gloss over the fact we are at a 14M deficit going into the season.

Landeskog and Nuke exist and are huge problems in terms of money. I think the projections have the salary cap around 87-88M. However the Avs have a salary cap of around 74M.

The Avs have to be and to field a complete team for 74M because we aren't LTIRing Landy and Nuke there are no options. You have to assume Landy isn't going to be ready day 1 based on the comments from the press conference and Nuke isn't available until earliest mid Nov. So even though those 2 guys aren't playing they count towards the final number.

With Nuke and Landy we are already at 77.8M committed. Landy and Nuke can't play so means we have 7F, 4D, and 2G capable of playing day 1. And that's pushing it since LOC and Lehk are both in the 7F above and they might not be ready.

What is this complete bullshit :laugh:

Either Landeskog plays, or he goes on LTIR....

And Nichushkin literally does not count against the cap at all, and will be dealt with before he returns.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

The Avs have to be able to field a complete team for 74M because we aren't LTIRing Landy and Nuke there are no options. You have to assume Landy isn't going to be ready day 1 based on the comments from the press conference and Nuke isn't available until earliest mid Nov. So even though those 2 guys aren't playing they count towards the final number.

What is this? If Landy can't play, he is LTIRed and doesn't count against the cap. If he counts against the cap he will be in the line up.

Nuke doesn't count against the cap untill he makes his return in 6 months. Then the most likely scenario is that the Avs will terminate his contract and deal with the legal side later on.

To me it seems like Avs are planning on using that cap space provided by Nichushkin. Our GM just talked about the possibility of being over the cap in the summer.

You always go with the most negative option for some reason and even twist it so much that it's not even realism anymore, but a negative alternative universe. Wtf dude.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What is this complete bullshit :laugh:

Either Landeskog plays, or he goes on LTIR....

And Nichushkin literally does not count against the cap at all, and will be dealt with before he returns.
Landy and CMac already said that that aren't going LTIR at least not day 1, maybe in December if he isn't playing by then but that doesn't help the situation day 1 so he'll count towards the cap until that point.

Nuke doesn't count is a terrible argument, of course he does, maybe not day 1 but he will count eventually. Even if they "deal" with him, he will still count something towards our cap. There are basically no solutions that the Avs get out money/cap free.

So not sure how my math doesn't add up. Landy isn't going LTIR day 1 and Nuke will count something that they have to be able to account for.

This is real life, not NHL 24. You can't just make money appear and disappear.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Landy and CMac already said that that aren't going LTIR at least not day 1, maybe in December if he isn't playing by then but that doesn't help the situation day 1 so he'll count towards the cap until that point.

Nuke doesn't count is a terrible argument, of course he does, maybe not day 1 but he will count eventually. Even if they "deal" with him, he will still count something towards our cap. There are basically no solutions that the Avs get out money/cap free.

So not sure how my math doesn't add up. Landy isn't going LTIR day 1 and Nuke will count something that they have to be able to account for.

This is real life, not NHL 24. You can't just make money appear and disappear.
Once again complete bullshit.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm not going to argue with everyone here, clearly people are failing to understand the real life circumstances. I guess have to see wait and see what unfolds over the summer. I think people are going to be supremely disappointed due absolute lack of money.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Once again complete bullshit.
How is this BS? Landy literally said he was going to be at camp.

So at best he tries at camp, and is fine and play. If not he goes on LTIR then, but not sure how that helps us get reasonable players since it will be September and most players will be long signed at that point.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well for one, this is a completely different statement from what you just said above. But that is typical of you. You don't have a f***ing clue what you're saying half the time.
So let's be very clear because apparently you like think you know what my take is. Landy is going to try and play day 1, LTIR isn't in cards at that point, which f***s us, if he can't play. Landy has already said this is the case that he is going to give it a go. They're going to give him every opportunity to play until he says he can't. At that point if he can't they will most likely use LTIR unless for some of reason he straight up retires. No matter what his 7M won't be available for CMac during the off season and will need to be accounted for come day 1 of the season, meaning we can't use it.

With Nuke his money doesn't count day 1 but eventually it will. Despite what you may think the Avs are royally f***ed in this and options are incredibly limited. I don't think there is some magic solution, and when he is cleared his 6.2M will need to be accounted for. I'd say there is a 90%+ chance that his full salary will need to be accounted for. I'd also guess he'll be playing for us. Buyout, termination, trade, etc. are just unrealistic pipedreams.

Now you can say there is a 10% overage in the off season, which I'd venture to guess they most likely use. You can also say Nuke's money can be used since he doesn't come into play until November. And then we figure it out then. Possible but I don't see CMac or Sakic wanting to make a mad dash to get cap compliant when he is cleared. That would very unlikely given their history.

Not sure why it's difficult to understand that Landy and Nuke exist and there isn't an Easy button. They are both extremely complicated cases and they leave very limited options and money for CMac this summer. This isn't NHL 24 where you can do all sorts of crap to navigate around the cap.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The fact is, no body knows what’s gonna happen with Landy and Val next season. It’s gonna be a very challenging offseason for CMac

Yes, we do.

Landy will play. Val will not. It really is going to be that easy, just because the Avs didn't say it directly at the press conference. They know the plan, they know what they're going to do.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Is there any reason to believe LOC and Lehky won't be ready by the start of the season, other than to make a difficult off season seem more bleak. Nothing has been said that would indicate they won't be ready for the new season.

Reactions: Murzu

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, we do.

Landy will play. Val will not. It really is going to be that easy, just because the Avs didn't say it directly at the press conference. They know the plan, they know what they're going to do.
I agree with Landy will play, although still not sure when or how he will hold up, but I don’t know what makes you so sure that they gonna go through the whole contract termination phase with Val. They might try to trade him but not sure who’s gonna be willing to take a risk. Val’s situation is not as clear as you make it sound

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yes, we do.

Since you somehow know Val isn't going to play for the Avs what do you think they are going to do with him.

Buyout costs cap space, but is plausible at least.

Contract termination can be attempted but there really isn't grounds for it. The legal flight the NHLPA will absolutely pursue will be something to watch. Might work but I doubt it, can't even imagine trying to terminate a valid contract without just cause. It's almost like you don't understand how a contract works. You can't just terminate it because you feel like it.

Trade is extremely unlikely. Near impossible.

Buried in minors doesn't really accomplish a whole ton.

So honestly the most likely scenario would be come back and play.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Since you somehow know Val isn't going to play for the Avs what do you think they are going to do with him.

Buyout costs cap space, but is plausible at least.

Contract termination can be attempted but there really isn't grounds for it. The legal flight the NHLPA will absolutely pursue will be something to watch. Might work but I doubt it, can't even imagine trying to terminate a valid contract without just cause. It's almost like you don't understand how a contract works. You can't just terminate it because you feel like it.

Trade is extremely unlikely. Near impossible.

Buried in minors doesn't really accomplish a whole ton.

So honestly the most likely scenario would be come back and play.
There’s absolutely grounds for a termination. Macfarland said as much in the press conference.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad