Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with this. The upgrade needs to be substantial or why bother. You never know with middling goalies year to year.

Also a fair point on playing time in regards to George. Bednar gets a laughably large amount of hate here but he does need to find ways to limit playing time for George among others.
Bednar is WAY too stubborn with playing time. It's the one thing I despise about him as a coach. He thinks "so what?" when it comes to playing MacKinnon and Rantanen 24+ minutes and Makar 27+ every night, and Georgiev 62+ games.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well I think this will confirm that we won't be able to spend his 7M this summer so I sure hope that you're right, @The Mars Volchenkov

The way I see it, they'll have a similar team as last year, but they'll likely be replacing Val with Landy.

Which if Gabe can play close to the level he was at before, may be be a wash, or perhaps better if he plays at the same level.

It will be hard to play at the same level after so much time off, but I if he can skate, I don't think the time off will hurt him as much as others. Mostly just timing and puck handling, but everyone will have an issue with that to start a new season.

Gabe was scoring at a 48 goal 95 point pace his last season. Val for how great he was, was a notch below that at a 43 goal 80 point pace this year.

Not to mention they could be a better team even with less production than Val, just due to Gabe's leadership impact on the rest of the team. So even without being able to spend his $7M, they may have a better "team."

Reactions: The Moops

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The way I see it, they'll have a similar team as last year, but they'll likely be replacing Val with Landy.

Which if Gabe can play close to the level he was at before, may be be a wash, or perhaps better if he plays at the same level.

It will be hard to play at the same level after so much time off, but I if he can skate, I don't think the time off will hurt him as much as others. Mostly just timing and puck handling, but everyone will have an issue with that to start a new season.

Gabe was scoring at a 48 goal 95 point pace his last season. Val for how great he was, was a notch below that at a 43 goal 80 point pace this year.

Not to mention they could be a better team even with less production than Val, just due to Gabe's leadership impact on the rest of the team. So even without being able to spend his $7M, they may have a better "team."
I think Val at his peak is better. The defensive game he brings is IMO Selke-worthy and he is a puck hound.

If Landeskog somehow gets back to 30-30 that is a huge win in my books.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I think Bednar HAS to even out the times-on-ice better next regular season.

Not only it maintains the top gun's for the long run, it gets the other guys time to work into a more solid groove.

Not having bums like RyJo on the roster would help a lot there, that's the front office job this summer. Also not trailing in every single f***ing game. Need to get leads in-game more often than not.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why should we expect Bednar to change next year? He's going to overplay his best players. He always does.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why should we expect Bednar to change next year? He's going to overplay his best players. He always does.
Exactly this. In fact it's probably going to be worse because the rest of the team is going to be trash garbage at forward.

You have 29, 96, 62, Mitts, Colton, Wood, Kovalenko, broken LOC coming off major surgery, maybe super broken 92, and coked out Nuke who if he's allowed back in Nov/Dec on this roster most likely won't last past January before he's gone again, and that's it.

After that if we are super lucky Drouin somehow fits salary wise. If so, then rest of the forwards will be league minimum garbage because we damn well know Bednar and management wouldn't dream of giving roster spots to prospects like Ritchie or Foudy or any other young guy who shows out at camp.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Exactly this. In fact it's probably going to be worse because the rest of the team is going to be trash garbage at forward.

You have 29, 96, 62, Mitts, Colton, Wood, Kovalenko, broken LOC coming off major surgery, maybe super broken 92, and coked out Nuke who if he's allowed back in Nov/Dec on this roster most likely won't last past January before he's gone again, and that's it.

After that if we are super lucky Drouin somehow fits salary wise. If so, then rest of the forwards will be league minimum garbage because we damn well know Bednar and management wouldn't dream of giving roster spots to prospects like Ritchie or Foudy or any other young guy who shows out at camp.
This is simply not true. Name a player that was kept in the minors for no reason, there is no answer.

The Avs give rookies every opportunity to play, even when they suck like Sampo Ranta etc they still get playoff games. The prospect pool just has been pathetic for such a long time that the options are not acceptable. It´s simply better to sign cheap depth in free agency.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be fair, I agree that Bednar overworked his stars but it ain’t like the rest of the team gave him much of a choice. He had to use his “2C” for most of the year as a 4th liner, then by the time he got a legit replacement, LOC was gone and the bottom dropped out of Colton’s game. At no point was he really able to roll four lines. Or three for that matter. Near as I can tell he did fine distributing ice time when he actually had the depth to do so.

Some of you are also kinda forgetting that the team regularly had to score 4-5 goals a night in order to win. Not gonna be able to do that with Tragically Hip Johansen and a burned out/exposed Ross Colton.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I hope Landeskog's announcement is that the Avs have decided they don't believe in the salary cap and are therefore no longer bound by the salary cap. They will instead use an NBA model of a soft cap and will just pay the tax. Avs then sign every free agent, as well as some non-free agents while relocating closer to the Colorado River

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This would be a fun one, Mikko for Jack Quinn. Similar p/g numbers and will be cheaper than a former #1 overall

is this how its done?
Well…actually, I think Quinn would be a fantastic pickup, IF his health holds up next year. Not saying I’d go 1 for 1 with Mikko but the team is in desperate need of two-way players with Nuke and Landy out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad