Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Prob has more to do with the 60 mil owed, but yeah, I would fire the guy. Inconcievable miss. Fire the Caps guy too if he takes all 60 mil. Kuemper I think is owed 15 mil or something.

in a vaccum its a good move by Blake to avoid getting stuck with a contract that could legitimately sink the team for almost a decade.

But big picture it ended up being a horrific waste of assets.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So with New Jersey out, if this happens would Washington be interested in Ullmark?

For Colorado, Casey Mittlestadt? RFA but a fast play making center just coming into his own. Might be a fit with Pasta. They just got him but you never know. Maybe his contract ask is too high.

Probably not. Lindgren beat out kuemper for the capitals #1 goalie spot. He’s their guy.

Reactions: bbfan419

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You want Lohrei locked into the top6 or top4? You said top6 but then the context made me think you meant top4. Fwiw, I think he's locked into the top6 even if they get a veteran D. I think they break him in the way they did Krug, 3rd pair at ES (while he learns to defend in the NHL) and 1st PP.

I don't think there's any reality where they build a team that puts Geekie on the 4th line. He's a strong 3rd liner. I don't think they need to sign 4 forwards either, or 3 forwards for that matter. They need a 1c and they need a play driver to replace DeBrusk, preferably with a RW to play with Marchand. Other than Lindholm, the UFA options are meh, IMO.

Guentzel is the only 'play driver' in the UFA class, but he's going to get paid Pasta money and I don't think they can afford both Lindholm and Guentzel. Lindholm is the bigger priority.

Reinhart is a career 30/30 guy who had a great season and you're going to end up paying for 90 point Reinhart not 60 point Reinhart. I don't think he's a play driver and I don't think you can afford both Reinhart and Lindholm. Plus, Reinhart and Lindholm play the same spot on the PP.

Stamkos isn't coming here. He and Pasta play the same spot on the PP. I think "fit" matters and you only have one PP1 bumper. You are selling someone on having that job and those goals.

Marchessault is not a play driver, not young and looking to get paid. Laine has baggage that would give me pause and he plays the same spot on the PP as Pasta. Toffoli isn't a play driver. Perron isn't young and isn't a play driver...

I'd be down for Necas. I like the idea of using Ulmark for a secondary scorer but I'm also okay with them using him for a 1st round pick.

So, I think they're going to look at those less than perfect UFA fits and say, why get locked into a long, expensive contract for someone we're not sure is going to work. Let's take a flyer on someone cheap and see if Lysell or Merkulov can beat them out of a job. At least Lysell can be a dynamic play driver. Maybe he's still not mature enough, that seems to be the opinion of those in the know, but that's why you sign the vet as insurance. And, there are good fits on defense, guys who could be impactful players, so I think that's why they lean that way.

I agree with 95% of this. Only difference is I’d take a chance on Laine (maybe Lysell and another prospect with them retaining 40% or so or just Lysell with no retention).

Still might not be enough.

Not sure if Laine has any control over where he goes or what the inside word is on what kind of teammate he truly is, but I’d definitely kick the tires.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Getting interesting. Caps now only 3 M under the Cap but with only 1 goalie .
Something else gotta give.
Maybe they plan on calling up someone from the AHL. There two goals lead the league. Clearly speaks to the team in front of it but maybe one of them backs up Lindgren

1718824848800.png

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
So with New Jersey out, if this happens would Washington be interested in Ullmark?

For Colorado, Casey Mittlestadt? RFA but a fast play making center just coming into his own. Might be a fit with Pasta. They just got him but you never know. Maybe his contract ask is too high.
Opinions about Mittlestadt vary but I like him. I would not mind a trade built around Ullmark and Mittlestadt. He's not a 1C but he'd help IMO. Problem is, I don't think Colorado can trade him unless they are planning to add another top 2 center from somewhere. They have also have a long standing big need for a 2C and they've got ongoing questions about whether Landeskog and Nichushkin will ever play for them again. I can't see them giving up CM but who knows?

I agree with other comments that the Avs could really use Ullmark before a window closes on their elite core. Just not sure what the trade is (or if Ullmark would go there). There are rumblings that Josh Manson could be moved but that seems to be mostly speculation and that would not be my preferred return.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I'm a big fan of Mittlestadt but I don't think he's better than Zacha as a player. As a faceoff center, he's actually far worse. I don't think he's the answer to our #1 center question.

Last edited:

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
So its Elias or bust looks like. Let's go!
But keep in mind, there are always players who are moved that weren't necessarily in the rumor mill, like PLD today. 3-4 weeks from now, it will be interesting to see who actually changed hands.

I'm a big fan of Mittlestadt but I think he's better than Zacha as a player. As a faceoff center, he's actually far worse. I don't think he's the answer to our #1 center question.
Agreed but he'd be a nice 2C. Coyle moves down to 3C or is traded. I think there's room for a couple of additions at center, but let's start with one and see what GMDS is thinking about overall roster changes.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
I wonder if Caps would be interested in something around Ullmark - Strome.
Similar to Mittelstadt, Strome would not be The Answer at center, but I think they could do worse than to add him to the depth chart. He's got very limited playoff experience so you don't know what you're getting there. But I think Strome is a sneaky good point producer. Somebody else will have to comment about his advanced stats, I don't know how he stacks up beyond his ability to produce points. Whenever I watched him with the Caps, he seemed effective if not the one driving the play.

Reactions: bbfan419

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If Ullmarks agent has truly figured out a block if Im him I tell DS……but……get us a list willing to do a 3 or 4 year extension. Then things may chang
I don't either, but Pastrnak is an offensive animal. I'd love to see Brady here but not at the expense of Pastrnak.

That said Brady is an animal and a legitimate fist line winger that does it all, especially from a physical stand point. I feel he will be an absolute psycho in the playoffs.
Would it shock anyone to see the Bruins resign Ullmark and then move Swayman for a guy like Tkachuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad