Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You want Lohrei locked into the top6 or top4? You said top6 but then the context made me think you meant top4. Fwiw, I think he's locked into the top6 even if they get a veteran D. I think they break him in the way they did Krug, 3rd pair at ES (while he learns to defend in the NHL) and 1st PP.

I don't think there's any reality where they build a team that puts Geekie on the 4th line. He's a strong 3rd liner. I don't think they need to sign 4 forwards either, or 3 forwards for that matter. They need a 1c and they need a play driver to replace DeBrusk, preferably with a RW to play with Marchand. Other than Lindholm, the UFA options are meh, IMO.

Guentzel is the only 'play driver' in the UFA class, but he's going to get paid Pasta money and I don't think they can afford both Lindholm and Guentzel. Lindholm is the bigger priority.

Reinhart is a career 30/30 guy who had a great season and you're going to end up paying for 90 point Reinhart not 60 point Reinhart. I don't think he's a play driver and I don't think you can afford both Reinhart and Lindholm. Plus, Reinhart and Lindholm play the same spot on the PP.

Stamkos isn't coming here. He and Pasta play the same spot on the PP. I think "fit" matters and you only have one PP1 bumper. You are selling someone on having that job and those goals.

Marchessault is not a play driver, not young and looking to get paid. Laine has baggage that would give me pause and he plays the same spot on the PP as Pasta. Toffoli isn't a play driver. Perron isn't young and isn't a play driver...

I'd be down for Necas. I like the idea of using Ulmark for a secondary scorer but I'm also okay with them using him for a 1st round pick.

So, I think they're going to look at those less than perfect UFA fits and say, why get locked into a long, expensive contract for someone we're not sure is going to work. Let's take a flyer on someone cheap and see if Lysell or Merkulov can beat them out of a job. At least Lysell can be a dynamic play driver. Maybe he's still not mature enough, that seems to be the opinion of those in the know, but that's why you sign the vet as insurance. And, there are good fits on defense, guys who could be impactful players, so I think that's why they lean that way.

I agree that Chiarelli’s teams were tough, intimidating and fun to watch… and I agree that Sweeney’s teams for the most part have not been tough or intimidating, but I don’t think that was an issue for the Bruins this year. I thought they were just as physical as Florida. We had just as many blow up hits as they did and outhit them in the series overall. No, we weren’t the 2011 Bruins but we lost that series on skill not toughness IMO.
I agree with this post completely -- both the aspect of UFA's available and your Chiarelli/Sweeney analysis. Anybody who gives Bruins grief on physicality against Florida is just looking to complain. We met their physicality and then some. No we didn't win, but fair is fair.

I've long felt that this off-season should be named "first do no harm". No rash decisions on UFA signings. Cap Space has been a bane of our existence in the past. Use it wisely.

IMO the only two "musts" this offseason are sign Swayman and trade Ullmark. Ullmark has been a good warrior but he's really the only tradeable asset we have. We are going to (likely) lose DeBrusk for nothing just as we did several UFA's last season. If we can get an asset or two for Linus that is the second most important thing to do.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m Sakic I am looking at McKinnon, Rantanen, & Makar age sweet spot

Ullmark for 41 games is going to be very good

You get a couple of hired guns like a Kane add to the offense and know Ullmark going to be good - boom

I’d do 24

Georgiev UFA in 25

Had .897 save % both regular season & playoffs

30 of 32 teams regular

Very unlikely u win with him

Not a fan

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Again, your pitch to CLB fans was 10 overall for Laine with almost 4 million in retainment. One guy you quoted said #10OA + a 3rd that could become a 2nd was the price.

Devils fans aren’t interested in an Ullmark for#10 swap. Like I said goalies don’t return that much. Please provide an example if you believe they do. Schneider is an apples to oranges comparison so don’t go there.
That's relevant because, as we all know, fans decide on/make the trades. Sweeney in particular is one who always asks the fans opinions before he makes any decision that could mean his job/career.:sarcasm:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I’m Sakic I am looking at McKinnon, Rantanen, & Makar age sweet spot

Ullmark for 41 games is going to be very good

You get a couple of hired guns like a Kane add to the offense and know Ullmark going to be good - boom

I’d do 24

Georgiev UFA in 25

Had .897 save % both regular season & playoffs

30 of 32 teams regular

Very unlikely u win with him

Not a fan
Quoted for truth. Watching Colorado in the PO's I swear I said once a night "they need Ullmark".

IMO Georgiev is not a keeper you build a Cup winner around. Makar and KcKinnon? Yes indeed.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Quoted for truth. Watching Colorado in the PO's I swear I said once a night "they need Ullmark".

IMO Georgiev is not a keeper you build a Cup winner around. Makar and KcKinnon? Yes indeed.
Can I, throw my Grassy Knoll theory in, Sweeney does feel he cannot sign Sway, thus does not want to get left with nothing............thus does Sway get moved........

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That's relevant because, as we all know, fans decide on/make the trades. Sweeney in particular is one who always asks the fans opinions before he makes any decision that could mean his job/career.:sarcasm:
That's because he's a stubborn pain in the ass.

Have I given him my cell #, told him I have no limits on my time, and that I care deeply for him, his job, and his career? Yes, I have. Many times.

But do I get any phone calls??????? No. I don't. Not a one.

I'm seriously thinking about telling the man to take me off his contact list.

Can I, throw my Grassy Knoll theory in, Sweeney does feel he can sign Sway, thus does not want to get left with nothing............thus does Sway get moved........
Yikes. That's not what I wanted to hear!

• Love
Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

You’ve missed the point of the conversation entirely.

Probably better off not hopping in if you’re not following.

• Haha

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One more year of his kids being in the same schools, the wife close to the same friends, and a chance to pick his destination, with a full year to look into possible locations.

I do find it funny when fans (not saying you) get mad for players for not showing loyalty and leaving a team... until the player wants to stay and the fans would rather have a draft pick, then all of a sudden the loyalty line disappears.

Players update the list every year.

Yes, but until the new cap year starts, the list in place today is the list that was created last summer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
NO WAY.

Pasta is an elite playmaker and goal scorer.

His defensive game has developed so much in the last couple of years. He is still growing his game.

Also, He is a major leader on the Bruins.

David is the kind of player all teams want.

Sorry....NO WAY the Bs trade their best player. That would be SO foolish.
I'm not proposing it. Joe Haggarty did. Even then, he was speaking hypothetically in response to a viewer question.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Because

1) I actually watched him play last year and his "value" contract is almost up
2) He's not going to re-up here for the 8M he's going to go looking for
3) He has zero future here in a Lohrei-Hampus left side world

People gotta let this one go...

Linus waving for Ottawa is also pretty lol, if we're coming up with reasons
Added to that he's oft-injured.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

They got away with it with Darcy Kuemper so they doubled down with Georgiev, who was Sheshterkin's back up & wasn't impressive in that job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Number8

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Rob Blake has stated many times that the Kings will work with PLD this summer / training camp to improve his play / get his Mojo back.
I highly doubt they buy him out.
Oh, I agree. PLD getting bought out or moved for less than what they paid for him would cost Blake his job, I think.

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Compared to what LA gave up for PLD to then turn it into Kuemper should be a fireable offense.
I agree but Blake clearly decided that getting away from PLD was necessary regardless of how the overall moves are judged. This is 3 teams that have moved on from PLD, increasingly quickly, by ~ age 26. Consider how bad the situation was with him in LA if Blake is willing to make THIS trade THIS soon after obtaining and signing him. The bigger question is, what are the Caps thinking? Even though the Bruins have a burning need for an upgrade at center, I'm sure glad they did not take the bait on PLD, even at a greatly reduced cost. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad