Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
All due respect, but Pastrnak isn't just offense. I saw him lay hits and be physical in the playoffs, got into the muck and fought Tkachuk.

His two-way game for some reason gets no respect around here but he's a good two-way winger and if he wasn't trusted defensively, not a chance he plays multiple years on a line with Marchand and Bergeron on a Cassidy coached team going up against the opposing teams top offensive players.

I already know the responses from posters "well Marchand and Bergeron cover for Pasta" which is complete baloney. This is the NHL and it doesn't work like that, certainly not in today's game. If you are putting a line up against other teams top lines expecting them to keep them in check, you need all 3 guys to be capable defensively.
I agree, I think Pasta, has tried to be better defensively, and also even being more physical. I also think he is trying to step in leadership, and I like that. Why do Bruins put certain players on pedestals and others because they just don't play the style they think they should just pick their game apart.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My impression is neither can wait to separate and it's spilling into the media. Jake with the "I'm surprised it's not done yet" really irritated Sweeney with his firing back of "It takes two to tango" (not exact quote). I really like him, and he really is probably the best option at his price point in UFA but it just seems time to move on, as public negotiations rarely end well.
Makes you realize that, as much as we fans like to treat players and their movement as little more than strategizing the next checkers move, these are real people with emotions. And those emotions sometimes leak out.

There's just no way that either DeBrusk or his agent or Sweeney should be saying anything about the situation in public. Just no upside at all and, as you say, the outcome is usually poor.

When we look back on this, the DeBrusk thing is going to be one of the odder ones.

High pressure to be only productive piece of disastrous 2015 first round.
Kid who seems to struggle with outside pressure/impressions but not playoff pressure, oddly.

Really weird and going to suck to likely lose him for nothing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My impression is neither can wait to separate and it's spilling into the media. Jake with the "I'm surprised it's not done yet" really irritated Sweeney with his firing back of "It takes two to tango" (not exact quote). I really like him, and he really is probably the best option at his price point in UFA but it just seems time to move on, as public negotiations rarely end well.

I think like a lot of guys this summer he’s going to sign a deal somewhere else that is way more than we expect.

Which doesn’t mean the Bruins won’t sign guys, but they, like others will need to prioritize who they go after.

JDB/wing isn’t the top priority here, center is, so Sweeney may need to overpay for one, while another team’s priority may be wing, so they may overpay for Jake.

After that I think it’s trying to find value in reclamation projects (Laine, PLD, etc) older guys (Kane, Perry?) or lesser guys who might do better in a new place/different role (Foegle, Sprong, etc.)

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, I think Pasta, has tried to be better defensively, and also even being more physical. I also think he is trying to step in leadership, and I like that. Why do Bruins put certain players on pedestals and others because they just don't play the style they think they should just pick their game apart.

He plays harder now than he did early on. His positioning was always terrific he's such a smart player.

The reality is very few forwards in the NHL are doggy-poo without the puck in today's game. Unless they have all-world level production, they have to be able to play both sides of the puck to a certain degree or they wouldn't even be in the league.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
But what if we could get a player in return who stands up for his teammates, is a leader, and is the only person on their current roster to throw down this past playoffs with a guy who is far more a brawler than himself?

I’d argue if we could get THAT player, he would exemplify what it means to be a Bruins.

Seems like there are a couple of ways to look at this, while understanding that teams need both toughness and talent.

You keep Pasta and his 50+ goals and get a lesser version of Tkachuk to play the game he does (easier said than done, granted).

Or you use Pasta to get Tkachuk and hope to find someone to score the 50 Pasta would.

Since Pasta is already here, seems like the first way is the better plan because IMO
swapping the two doesn’t make us better….definitely makes us different, but not necessarily better.

(Obviously this is all hypothetical and won’t happen)

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He plays harder now than he did early on. His positioning was always terrific he's such a smart player.

The reality is very few forwards in the NHL are doggy-poo without the puck in today's game. Unless they have all-world level production, they have to be able to play both sides of the puck to a certain degree or they wouldn't even be in the league.
I would like to add about Pasta that some players do not have, he loves to play the game, has fun playing and he relates to the fans as well as any player the league.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Horrific?

Pasta is a gifted one in a million offensive tower. No doubt about it.

But if I could get someone more in the Bruins mold, that is the mold of yore, I would do so.

I have nothing against David but he is a purely offensive talent. He doesn't give you anything else. Maybe you don't need anything else.

Nonetheless, I'd rather have somebody more j with much more jam who can score and defend.

That's an old take. But I kind of feel that way.

Normally I'm with you but not this time.

It is true at the beginning of his career Pastrnak was a train wreck in his own end & didn't appear too interested in doing anything about it. However the last two seasons Pasta has made great strides improving his all around game and has developed leadership skills to go with it. I'm very impressed with what he's accomplished, it would have been easy for him to be content with scoring 40+ goals a season & collecting his $ 11 million dollars.. Instead he's done the hard work to make himself a better player & continues to do so.

No, I don't trade him for Tkachuk or anyone else.

My .02

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would like to add about Pasta that some players do not have, he loves to play the game, has fun playing and he relates to the fans as well as any player the league.

Absolutely. When a guy comes to the rink every day with a smile on his face ready to work, other guys see that and it rubs off on some. No different than any workplace. There is something to be said for player/employees who bring a consistent positive attitude and demeanor. Not all leadership is vocal.

Back to the roster discussion. Where do we find another Pasta? I want two.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I wouldn’t trade pasta for brady tkachuk, but I would love tkachuk on this team. One of my favorite non bruins
That’s the thing would like to have both,but no way that happens can’t see any kind of package Bruins could come up with to get him,and swapping the two I don’t think makes Bruins a better team.

Reactions: sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Makes you realize that, as much as we fans like to treat players and their movement as little more than strategizing the next checkers move, these are real people with emotions. And those emotions sometimes leak out.

There's just no way that either DeBrusk or his agent or Sweeney should be saying anything about the situation in public. Just no upside at all and, as you say, the outcome is usually poor.

When we look back on this, the DeBrusk thing is going to be one of the odder ones.

High pressure to be only productive piece of disastrous 2015 first round.
Kid who seems to struggle with outside pressure/impressions but not playoff pressure, oddly.

Really weird and going to suck to likely lose him for nothing.
In Sweeney's defense, all comments are in reaction to something Jake leaks or says. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze for him at this point IMO.

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Absolutely. When a guy comes to the rink every day with a smile on his face ready to work, other guys see that and it rubs off on some. No different than any workplace. There is something to be said for player/employees who bring a consistent positive attitude and demeanor. Not all leadership is vocal.

Back to the roster discussion. Where do we find another Pasta? I want two.
I am not so sure about adding a Pasta, that is difficult to do with salary cap , but someone who could compliment him and take some of the pressure off him as being the only guy other teams need to worry about. I also think giving out 7-8 year deals for 8-9 or more for thirty-year-olds just does not do it for me. I know getting certain players that I have mentioned in the past might be hard to do but most of the names I, throw out are younger, Crouse, Laine,, even PLD, and I know they come with baggage but sometimes you need to take a chance, and hope you have the right tools to deal with them, I think if there is a team capable of that it is the Bruins, and maybe a Maroon comes into play more and more. I am not against getting a 30 plus player that can put the puck in the net but not these long term contracts, I would like a Toffoli, Tarasenko type goal scorer. They do need some physicality also, I also would go with what they have on the bottom 6, Freddy, Geekie, Beecher, Bogvist, Lauko, I honestly believe you could do a lot worse, I like the size, some speed, and they are young lets give them a chance, Freddy and Geekie had career years. Thats where I am, open any ideas that will change my thinking.

Reactions: BruinDust

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In Sweeney's defense, all comments are in reaction to something Jake leaks or says. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze for him at this point IMO.
Agreed. Young Jake is such an enigma. I really like him, he seems like a nice kid. But Louie should step in and help guide him towards wearing his emotions on his sleeves a little less.

Not because that's bad, or he's a bad kid. It just makes things easier. Bottom line is being a highly paid pro in a sports crazy town is a wonderful thing. However, it obviously has its' challenges and learning how to nuance a narrative is a good skill to have just for self preservation.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Again, your pitch to CLB fans was 10 overall for Laine with almost 4 million in retainment. One guy you quoted said #10OA + a 3rd that could become a 2nd was the price.

Devils fans aren’t interested in an Ullmark for#10 swap. Like I said goalies don’t return that much. Please provide an example if you believe they do. Schneider is an apples to oranges comparison so don’t go there.

Now you’re giving some vague statement that whatever they move Ullmark for CLB fans will take. It’s impossible to say that without knowing what the return will be.
As a Bruins fan, are you comfortable (regardless of what the return is) moving whatever the Bruins got for Ullmark (knowing the low value of a goalie market like you stated) for a retained Laine?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I disagree that they don't need another 4th liner. They signed Lucic. When that didn't work out they traded for Maroon. They need a hitter who can play on the 4th line and don't really have that in the system.

If they can sign the 4th liner for 4th line money that's not going to prevent them from signing anyone else. They have to pay someone to fill that 4LW spot, it might as well be someone who can contribute something. Duhaime is blazing fast, he hits everything, he'll fight anyone...

It doesn't have to be Duhaime (Providence College) but I think they sign someone for that role.
That's fine.

You cannot rely on one guy on the fourth line, whoever it is, to provide your entire team with intimidation, retaliation, toughness.

Look at Peter Chiarell's rosters.

Within perhaps 3 years half of that lineup was ready, willing and able to stand up for one another.

Were they all bruisers? Was Andrew Ference a bruiser? Marc Savard? Gregory Campbell?

Nine years later, this Chromag sees meh mediocrity as far as the I can see.

Team toughness is not just a stupid phrase. As corny as it sounds, it means being there for the guy next to you. It means playing for one another. It means, cliche, everyone pulling on the same rope.

Bruins DNA dictates that kind of play. And to me, that means getting your nose dirty, hard work, and physical intimidation.

Counter with Nifty, David,

Sweeney has never embraced that. Of late, only of late, he realizes he needs a policeman. One guy. Pat Maroon, 35, coming off back surgery and very much at the end of his career. Prior to that, it was Milan.

One guy. It's such a joke it makes me cry.

I believe I mentioned this, but when watching the Ranger- Florida series, it was abundantly clear that the Boston Bruins under done Sweeney are so far away from that level of competition it isn't true. It makes me f*cking sick.

He's learned, he's grown, and he's a very, very good general manager. But he still doesn't seem to get it.

Please don't squeeze the Charmin doesn't get it in the playoffs.

Say it with me: speed, skill, *and* physicality.

It's not rocket science.
All due respect, but Pastrnak isn't just offense. I saw him lay hits and be physical in the playoffs, got into the muck and fought Tkachuk.

His two-way game for some reason gets no respect around here but he's a good two-way winger and if he wasn't trusted defensively, not a chance he plays multiple years on a line with Marchand and Bergeron on a Cassidy coached team going up against the opposing teams top offensive players.

I already know the responses from posters "well Marchand and Bergeron cover for Pasta" which is complete baloney. This is the NHL and it doesn't work like that, certainly not in today's game. If you are putting a line up against other teams top lines expecting them to keep them in check, you need all 3 guys to be capable defensively.
You're probably right.

Even so, I respectfully disagree, to an extent.

David is occasionally physical. He absolutely can do it at this point, and I would love to see more.

He's also better defensively these days.

In addition, #88 took major strides this past season in becoming a premier playmaker. It was fun to watch.

So, David has grown, and is now, justifiably, considered a leader. Notice that he talks to the media more, and speaks like a leader.

All of that said, his defensive game is far from complete, or even adequate. Too often, he is cavalier and sloppy clearing the defensive zone.

Now, there are perhaps two ways to look at this.

One is that you have a marvelously creative talent who is your top scoring threat. Hence, defensive shortcomings can be forgiven and accepted as part of the package.

The other, harsher evaluation is that if David did not learn to develop an all around two way game playing beside Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand for years, he never will.

So, I don't know. I'm willing to take the warts because he's a great offensive player and by all counts a good guy and teammate.

But I wish he were a more complete player.

My final question is whether David is incapable of this, or simply disinterested in doing so.

I think it's a fair question.

I don't know the answer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am not so sure about adding a Pasta, that is difficult to do with salary cap , but someone who could compliment him and take some of the pressure off him as being the only guy other teams need to worry about. I also think giving out 7-8 year deals for 8-9 or more for thirty-year-olds just does not do it for me. I know getting certain players that I have mentioned in the past might be hard to do but most of the names I, throw out are younger, Crouse, Laine,, even PLD, and I know they come with baggage but sometimes you need to take a chance, and hope you have the right tools to deal with them, I think if there is a team capable of that it is the Bruins, and maybe a Maroon comes into play more and more. I am not against getting a 30 plus player that can put the puck in the net but not these long term contracts, I would like a Toffoli, Tarasenko type goal scorer. They do need some physicality also, I also would go with what they have on the bottom 6, Freddy, Geekie, Beecher, Bogvist, Lauko, I honestly believe you could do a lot worse, I like the size, some speed, and they are young lets give them a chance, Freddy and Geekie had career years. Thats where I am, open any ideas that will change my thinking.

Another Pasta isn't realistic but your right, they need another primary scorer to take the pressure off him.

I'm interested in Laine, I think they can turn him around. When he's on, he's an all-world talent.

Crouse I think is borderline untouchable (he's an important part of that Utah team). The PLD contract makes him a complete non-starter for me.

They need to get faster up front. You see in the finals how much Edmonton's speed pushes back the Panther's D and allows easier zone entries. Panther's can't get their forecheck game going when they are spending more time in their own zone. If they can add physical players with some speed, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad