Jun 19, 2005
The pro Florida side of a discussion

Barkov was a ballsy pick wasn’t supposed to go there

Tkachuk trade by Zito outstanding
Bennett a distressed asset he stole him
Reinhart brilliant trade
Lundell great pick
Verhague good judgement & good fortune

I get it but all 6 guys had a little bit to a lot more then already assembled open pack plug in and ta da
Was supposed to go 4th, behind some combo of Mackinnon, Jones and Drouin. People thought NAS got a steal with Jones at 4.

Reactions: DKH

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You read my wrong, he will be on the roster

Bruins are not going to put him in the AHL other than some seasoning games. He's a NHL player
I am not so sure about that, AHL time might be very beneficial to him, but I have been wrong before...........

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
JVR 2nd overall
Lindholm 6th overall
Zacha 6th overall
Debrusk 14th overall
McAvoy 14th overall
Shattenkirk 14th overall
Oh sure I was just posting the guys DKH mentioned, but if we want to go down the line - could throw in these guys as well.

Ekblad 1st overall
OEL 6th overall
Okposo 7th overall

That's what, 8 guys who were top 10 overall picks?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The kid has an elite skill set, lit it up last year in the AHL and specifically out scored most of his age peers.

Lysell is perplexing. It's too bad they at least didn't give him a game or two to see how he looked in the show.

Sometimes you get players who are better NHLers than AHLers. The NHL is more predictable as players stick to the system more than down in the AHL. For some players, that is a big help.

Production-wise Lysell has had some success in the AHL, especially relative to his peers. Meanwhile, when he went down to the WJC that year from the AHL he was absolutely terrible for Sweden in a tournament where he SHOULD of been a dominant player given his age and pedigree coming from the AHL. By the end his coach didn't even want to use him and he was basically their 13th F.

My point being he could perform in the AHL which is more structured than the loosy-goosey more chaotic play that is found at the WJC where he really struggled. Maybe he's one of those players that play better with more structure.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
A quote from the supposedly greatest coach in this history of the NHL, the darling of Bruins fans everywhere, Mr. Paul Maurice.

"We don't talk to Patty anymore. We just talk to everybody else – tell them to give him the puck."

I don't know where or why things went off the rails for Laine. At one point back in 2018 he looked poised to take OV's crown as the purest shooter on the planet. If I had to say who is the purest shooter I've ever seen in hockey, ever, it's Patrik Laine. I've never seen someone who could shoot the puck like he can, his release is like watching Ken Griffey Jr. swing at a baseball. It's just pure natural talent.
No thanks just the same.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lysell is perplexing. It's too bad they at least didn't give him a game or two to see how he looked in the show.

Sometimes you get players who are better NHLers than AHLers. The NHL is more predictable as players stick to the system more than down in the AHL. For some players, that is a big help.

Production-wise Lysell has had some success in the AHL, especially relative to his peers. Meanwhile, when he went down to the WJC that year from the AHL he was absolutely terrible for Sweden in a tournament where he SHOULD of been a dominant player given his age and pedigree coming from the AHL. By the end his coach didn't even want to use him and he was basically their 13th F.

My point being he could perform in the AHL which is more structured than the loosy-goosey more chaotic play that is found at the WJC where he really struggled. Maybe he's one of those players that play better with more structure.

But they have coaches in the AHL who are telling them who they believe can come up and help the team. Yes he has produced at the AHL level. But is his game anywhere close to NHL ready? I know Diver can be a downer on guys, but I at least suspect some of what he says about guys is what he is hearing from the staff in Providence/Boston

Do I think that if Lysell were given a chance to play a top 6 role, and miraculously survived 82 games, would he put up 50+ points. Yeah I think he would. Do I think he would be a plus player? No probably not, and i don't mean the stat, i mean would he contribute more than he hurts the team, and that answer is probably not. Do I think he would drive the fans and the coaching staff insane , Yes I think he would. I think people would have more respect for Pasta's all around game at that point if they saw Lysell's

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am all for giving Lysell a look in training camp but this shit that he is competing to be a second line winger next year is just not rational, just like Merkolov, Poitras, any of the Bruin's prospects, I am a show me type guy, none of them should be counted on, they should be looked at given a chance and hope they are pleasant surprises. Do not build this roster around them.

I agree.

I’m still 100% convinced they need 3 top 6 forwards or 2 and JDB back.

If one of these kids lights it up in camp, I don’t see why they can’t play on the 4th line in Boston to start. If they force their way into the lineup because they outplay someone, or if someone gets hurt then it’s a good problem to have.

It’s not 1997 anymore. Fourth lines are no longer all muscle or defense only.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But they have coaches in the AHL who are telling them who they believe can come up and help the team. Yes he has produced at the AHL level. But is his game anywhere close to NHL ready? I know Diver can be a downer on guys, but I at least suspect some of what he says about guys is what he is hearing from the staff in Providence/Boston

Do I think that if Lysell were given a chance to play a top 6 role, and miraculously survived 82 games, would he put up 50+ points. Yeah I think he would. Do I think he would be a plus player? No probably not, and i don't mean the stat, i mean would he contribute more than he hurts the team, and that answer is probably not. Do I think he would drive the fans and the coaching staff insane , Yes I think he would. I think people would have more respect for Pasta's all around game at that point if they saw Lysell's

And I'm just speculating based on his production in the AHL and his awful performance at the WJC. I haven't seen him in the AHL. I don't suspect his play without the puck is terribly strong. The way his Swedish coach gave up using him at the WJC was very concerning. It would of been nice to see him in the NHL for a couple games last year so they'd have a better idea how to approach this off-season whether he's viewed as trade bait or someone they think will step up next year. I haven't read what Divver said but he's respected so his take is also concerning.

Pasta's two-way game is vastly underrated IMO.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree.

I’m still 100% convinced they need 3 top 6 forwards or 2 and JDB back.

If one of these kids lights it up in camp, I don’t see why they can’t play on the 4th line in Boston to start. If they force their way into the lineup because they outplay someone, or if someone gets hurt then it’s a good problem to have.

It’s not 1997 anymore. Fourth lines are no longer all muscle or defense only.
The more and more I think of Laine the more I am intrigued by him. I am just against giving out 7-8 years 8-9 mil to a Lindholm, sorry do not want to be trapped into that type of contract. I know he has been mentioned in the past for the Bruins and to be honest was never on board and one reason age, but if you could get a Laine what do you think of Adam Henrigue, not a cap killer, and give another season to look for that center that everyone wants.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
In part I, agree with your post. I need to respectfully phrase this, I was not sure why he was in the PA program, and now that I realize it was not drugs, maybe he is worth taking a chance on with the right players around him in the right atmosphere, he might be worth a shot. Maybe this is where a Maroon influence comes into play, this from someone who hated Maroon, but after listening to him these last few months seems like a pretty good guy, and why he is respected. I also and believe, I am not a cap guy, but for only two years would it be better to not give up a lot of assets for him and take on most of if not all of the contract. You are not stuck with 7-8 years at 8 mil with a signing and if can return to form at only 26 what pressure he would take and help Pasta........
Keep Maroon, add Dillon and a gamble on Laine is worth it. If you don't add a couple of strong leaders/voices to the room I would not take the gamble for Laine, even getting him out of the dumpster fire of Columbus he comes with baggage

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
And I'm just speculating based on his production in the AHL and his awful performance at the WJC. I haven't seen him in the AHL. I don't suspect his play without the puck is terribly strong. The way his Swedish coach gave up using him at the WJC was very concerning. It would of been nice to see him in the NHL for a couple games last year so they'd have a better idea how to approach this off-season whether he's viewed as trade bait or someone they think will step up next year. I haven't read what Divver said but he's respected so his take is also concerning.

Pasta's two-way game is vastly underrated IMO.
I posted the podcast featuring Mark Divver talking about both Brendan Dillon for the Bruins and about the assessment of NHL scouts relative to Lysell. The comments he relayed were quite damning. It was the scouts saying he has no trade value, overvalues his game and ability, is an "independent contractor," etc. Not Divver.

Remember, Ryan Mougenel was quite explicit and critical of FB''s play earlier this season, especially in terms of playing a team game rather than freelancing, which apparently he has a propensity to do. My understanding is that he played better after that, but the recent scouting assessments do not bode well.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The more and more I think of Laine the more I am intrigued by him. I am just against giving out 7-8 years 8-9 mil to a Lindholm, sorry do not want to be trapped into that type of contract. I know he has been mentioned in the past for the Bruins and to be honest was never on board and one reason age, but if you could get a Laine what do you think of Adam Henrigue, not a cap killer, and give another season to look for that center that everyone wants.

I’ve never been a Henrique fan.

I’d be good with Laine if it were a situation where he was bought out and we signed him on a 1-2 year “prove it” deal. But I don’t know if Columbus would be willing to buy him out and I highly doubt they’d retain enough of his 8.7 to make me comfortable going that route.

I know a lot of people would shy away from him, but he has elite talent and goal scoring ability. I have no idea where he is in regard to his recovery, and I hope he’s in a good place.

If he were in the right frame of mind, this could be a very good place for him, with Montgomery being here and the positive, professional culture to support him.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Keep Maroon, add Dillon and a gamble on Laine is worth it. If you don't add a couple of string leaders/voices to the room I would not take the gamble fot Laine, even getting him out of the dumpster fire of Columbus he comes with baggage
Dillon would be a good addition, also Laine does not have to be the guy Pasta is, but he also tales on some of the goal scoring responsibility. Time has come for the front office to show some balls and rebuild during the off season for a change. I recently posted about Adam Henrique, who have been against in the past, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I posted the podcast featuring Mark Divver talking about both Brendan Dillon for the Bruins and about the assessment of NHL scouts relative to Lysell. The comments he relayed were quite damning. It was the scouts saying he has no trade value, overvalues his game and ability, is an "independent contractor," etc. Not Divver.

Remember, Ryan Mougenel was quite explicit and critical of FB''s play earlier this season, especially in terms of playing a team game rather than freelancing, which apparently he has a propensity to do. My understanding is that he played better after that, but the recent scouting assessments do not bode well.

It's even worse than I thought. But it sort of lines up with his WJC performance.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I’d be good with Laine if it were a situation where he was bought out and we signed him on a 1-2 year “prove it” deal. But I don’t know if Columbus would be willing to buy him out and I highly doubt they’d retain enough of his 8.7 to make me comfortable going that route.

I know a lot of people would shy away from him, but he has elite talent and goal scoring ability. I have no idea where he is in regard to his recovery, and I hope he’s in a good place.

If he were in the right frame of mind, this could be a very good place for him, with Montgomery being here and the positive, professional culture to support him.
I am totally out of my usual thinking but for two years, I just don't give a shit about the money, that is why I mentioned Henrique, or someone similar .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Henrique is on my SIM team - watch him all the time

You aren’t a fan :laugh:

I would pass if Donny because of age

About 4 years to late on him

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Bruins have at least 3 guys, maybe 4, who can play center now who are better than Adam Henrique.

I said it at the time the Oilers vastly overpaid to rent him at the deadline.
You are probably right, I was against him the past, I was just looking for a temporary fill to fit Laine in. You are right I think the centers we have do not get enough love.....

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad