Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Joshua as a first line wing, NO, it's not good enough

Ok so what’s the solution?

Everyone is basically in agreement that we need a top six power forward so what’s the plan. Outside of Joshua, you basically have Bertuzzi in FA so does that make it better?

The next ‘Nathan Horton’ isn’t Lawson Crouse or Brady Tkachuk…they’re pretty much established

What other options are out there?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Everyone is basically in agreement that we need a top six power forward so what’s the plan. Outside of Joshua, you basically have Bertuzzi in FA so does that make it better?

The next ‘Nathan Horton’ isn’t Lawson Crouse or Brady Tkachuk…they’re pretty much established

Maybe the answer is to give Frederic a shot higher in the lineup.

Edit: Frederic is shaping up to be this years DeBrusk. A guy that has a chance to get more on the open market. If he is just gonna max out as a third liner, it’s fair to ask if the team should overextend to keep him. And if you aren’t going to do that, should you move him now? Or, should you see if he can produce more with better players.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

They need much more than just one power forward. They would basically need a complete overhaul similar to what florida went through.

In my opinion it’s much more realistic to just acquire as much talent as possible and hope that it’s enough to over come floridas play style.

When your top 9 forward and top 4 Dconsists of

Marchand-Zacha-pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle- lysell? (Or whoever)
Frederic-poitras-geekie?

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo

At that point your top toughest players are Frederic, Marchand and McAvoy.

They need at minimum 2 forwards and 1 defender who bring some grit to change any form of attitude or identity.

That’s a pretty big overhaul. Most likely won’t happen.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And Bertuzzi is no more a power forward than Debrusk is.

But trying to force a 3rd liner into a first line role sure as bleep isn't going to solve any problem. I would certainly put Frederick into that role before I'd put Joshua there

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I find that extremely hard to believe with the game 2 and 3 blow out and the bruins struggling to make it to 10 shots entering the 3rd period on multiple occasions.

I think it’s more likelythey were throwing you a bone to appease you. Either that or they legitimately feared swayman.
they had no reason to appease me - didn't ask the question on a bruins angle and know them well enough that it was a casual conversation.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Maybe the answer is to give Frederic a shot higher in the lineup.

Edit: Frederic is shaping up to be this years DeBrusk. A guy that has a chance to get more on the open market. If he is just gonna max out as a third liner, it’s fair to ask if the team should overextend to keep him. And if you aren’t going to do that, should you move him now? Or, should you see if he can produce more with better players.
This is it.

Frederic was 4th on the club in production at even strength. They can keep him as a 3rd liner if they want but he's worth more to other clubs out there.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I find that extremely hard to believe with the game 2 and 3 blow out and the bruins struggling to make it to 10 shots entering the 3rd period on multiple occasions.

I think it’s more likelythey were throwing you a bone to appease you. Either that or they legitimately feared swayman.
Bruins blew them out in the first game and as far as the shots go? Have you been watching any other games in the playoffs? Many team had low shot totals its called playoff hockey

Reactions: Tbaybruin

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
My $.02

The Bruins didn’t lose to FLA because of a lack of toughness, they lost because of a lack of offense. I thought we matched them in the physicality department, we actually outhit them in the series, but they have two really dangerous lines while we were easy to shut down.

I think Maurice deserves a lot of credit too, for his systems. The systems they use are a perfect fit for the personnel they have.

People talk about trying to ‘copy their blueprint’ but what is that exactly? Their second most physical D is OEL. Do the people who want to see a more physical D think signing him would address that need? No. What makes FLA special is Barkov, Bennett and Tkachuk, and you can’t copy that. Everyone would love a point per game, Selke winning #1 center, but they’re not available. Everyone would love a point per game power forward, but again, not available. Even Bennett brings a rare combination of dirty/talented that’s extremely hard to find. I don’t really think that’s a model you can copy. At least, it’s not something you can build in a year or two, it would take years of drafting, developing and praying you get extremely lucky.

People want a tougher D, but the Rangers have a big, tough D and FLA handled them easier than they handled us. People want better centers but EDM has the two best centers on the planet and for 2 games at least, Florida has handled them easily as well.

Maybe we should stop trying to be a pale imitation of Florida and instead try to be a high-test version of the Bruins. Lean into our strengths instead of trying to copy their strengths. Figure out how to support and enhance Pasta and Marchand, find the ‘right’ partner for McAvoy, crack the code on the Panthers systems and break out of the old mode on the power play.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Reading people wanting to sign Lindholm to an 8x7 contract made my stomach turn. Outside of those years with Gaudreau and Tkachuk he never seemed to be something special or a number one center who can be THE difference in a team winning a cup or not. He is solid but is he much better than Zacha and Coyle? He surely is a top six center but about anything more, I have my doubts ...

The Bruins don't have the pieces to get an established surefire number one center via trade so they either hope that one falls to free agency which is very rare or they take a chance on a upcoming center with huge potential. Maybe he becomes the number one line center or at worst a young cost controlled top 6 center who is not already almost 30 years and getting 8 millions per season until he is probably well out of his prime.

Teams I would target to get this kind of center are Utah and especially Seattle. Both have very high picks again and have the chance to get another very talented center they could possibly like more than the one they already have for the future and to get something great in return would convince them to do this. Lets assume they can fetch a first rounder for Ullmark as return you have to put this, Lohrei, Poitras and/or Lysell on the table to convince them. I know trading them would hurt but outside of the well established players with the most value like Swayman, Pastrnak, McAvoy or Carlo they are the pieces they could afford to lose. The trades for one of the following players I could imagine and would be happy with. Dont kill me, I told you it would hurt but If you want get something great you have to give something back.

Beniers for 1st round pick, Lohrei, Lysell

Cooley for 1st round pick, Lohrei, Poitras

Wright for 1st round pick, Lohrei, Lysell

C. Geekie for 1st round pick, Lohrei, Lysell

Not excactly fitting the other targets but still young but a soon to be UFA and probably cheaper to acquire:

Schmaltz for 1st round pick and Lysell

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Martin Popisil, thoughts on that guy for a 4th line role? Guy has some asshole in him. He's a guy I'd love here, honestly.
I can't see Calgary moving him, he' dirty and nasty with some offensive upside. Would love him here.

Reactions: bbfan419

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
My $.02

The Bruins didn’t lose to FLA because of a lack of toughness, they lost because of a lack of offense. I thought we matched them in the physicality department, we actually outhit them in the series, but they have two really dangerous lines while we were easy to shut down.

I think Maurice deserves a lot of credit too, for his systems. The systems they use are a perfect fit for the personnel they have.

People talk about trying to ‘copy their blueprint’ but what is that exactly? Their second most physical D is OEL. Do the people who want to see a more physical D think signing him would address that need? No. What makes FLA special is Barkov, Bennett and Tkachuk, and you can’t copy that. Everyone would love a point per game, Selke winning #1 center, but they’re not available. Everyone would love a point per game power forward, but again, not available. Even Bennett brings a rare combination of dirty/talented that’s extremely hard to find. I don’t really think that’s a model you can copy. At least, it’s not something you can build in a year or two, it would take years of drafting, developing and praying you get extremely lucky.

People want a tougher D, but the Rangers have a big, tough D and FLA handled them easier than they handled us. People want better centers but EDM has the two best centers on the planet and for 2 games at least, Florida has handled them easily as well.

Maybe we should stop trying to be a pale imitation of Florida and instead try to be a high-test version of the Bruins. Lean into our strengths instead of trying to copy their strengths. Figure out how to support and enhance Pasta and Marchand, find the ‘right’ partner for McAvoy, crack the code on the Panthers systems and break out of the old mode on the power play.
idk i think having one more guy for Bennett to turn down would've made all the difference

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
My $.02

3162D9FE-BC2D-4FE9-B759-2924ABE2CAF1.gif

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
This is it.

Frederic was 4th on the club in production at even strength. They can keep him as a 3rd liner if they want but he's worth more to other clubs out there.
They should add two top six forwards and move Frederic into the top 6, he can produce and if he ever finds consistency in his game could become a 30 goal physical player with power play time. I would happily take a version of Tom Wilson.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
My $.02

Yup.

A functioning PP would have gone a long way.

Reactions: wintersej

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
My $.02

Bruins out hit the panthers because panthers had nearly a 2:1 puck possession lead in the series. Tough to out hit a team when you are consistently the team with the puck for an overwhelming amount of time.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Martin Popisil, thoughts on that guy for a 4th line role? Guy has some asshole in him. He's a guy I'd love here, honestly.
Pretty sure they extended him

Might be the dirtiest player in the league tbh- he also refuses to back up his actions due to prior injury history ala Emelin (concussions is his excuse). Didn’t drop them a single time this year

I wouldn’t cry if he was here, it would be entertaining. I just don’t see it happening

It’s funny to me we yearn for a guy like this who is “nasty” and “tough” yet all he does is intentionally try to hurt people while being a giant p***y about it when the opponent responds, and then we turn around and bag on a guy like Frederic who actually does drop them and is an honest player

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

2024 Buyout Candidates​

1. Pierre-Luc Dubois
Center, Los Angeles Kings
Contract: 7 years remaining, $8.5 million AAV
Buyout Structure: 14 seasons varying from $1.1 mil to $3.8 mil
Scoop: Yes, we heard GM Rob Blake say at locker cleanout day that the Kings were not planning on buying out Dubois. But this makes too much sense. At least until June 24, it does. That’s when Dubois turns 26. For now, he is 25, and that means the Kings are only responsible for paying one-third of the money remaining on his deal, instead of two-thirds which happens when he celebrates his 26th birthday. If the Cup Final goes to Game 7, then it won’t be possible. And of course, a 14-year buyout sounds painful now, but the majority of the cap hits are negligible at a time when the cap will be well exceeding $100 million per year. The Kings would save $32 million in real cash – which is a serious amount of dough. It’s better to admit a mistake and pay a lesser price rather than double down and have it hurt much worse in the long-term.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
My $.02

I love this post from you, as usual. But I’d note that it’s not just their offense that makes them so tough. Their aggressive puck pursuit and pressure all over the ice is their difference maker IMO.

They were a problem for the Bruins because our defense wasn’t composed enough, and our forwards don’t create turnovers and chances the way they do. So yes while their top 6 is potent, it’s the style they play that makes them deadly.

IMO the Bruins need more speed, more talent, and WAY more grit. Florida has fast, chippy guys like Tkachuk, Rodrigues, Bennett, all willing to be F1 and finish a check and all able to score. The Bruins arguably don’t have one single forward who does all that, save for maybe Marchy. DeBrusk won’t hit you, Pasta is no puck hunter, etc.

The Bruins don’t need to play Florida’s style, but they better find a roster that can counter it,

Tommy Tubs

Mar 2, 2024
I did. It was much closer. 6 games, 5 of them one-goal games, and 3 overtime games.

Did you?
Both series went 6 games.

We lost a game on a terrible non-interference call and the final one on a fluky goal with a minute left.

You're building a whole narrative on "one goal games" but two of those in the Rangers series happened because of a late goal by the team trailing by 2 to make them look closer, while the B's were down 4-2 late i one and gave up an empty netter (and then another meaningless one).

I don't know which one was "closer" (nor do I particularly care) but the way you're trying to make it sound insane that someone believes the Boston one was more competitive is frankly ludicrous.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If they pay Lindholm 8m I'm turning in my season tickets, 7 years on top of that ? stupid.

He's not much better than Coyle in my view, save the $ and keep Boston Charlie as the number one center, most on here think he's one anyway.

I doubt Eiserman is there at 10
won’t your kids get mad ?

• Haha
Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Both series went 6 games.

We lost a game on a terrible non-interference call and the final one on a fluky goal with a minute left.

You're building a whole narrative on "one goal games" but two of those in the Rangers series happened because of a late goal by the team trailing by 2 to make them look closer, while the B's were down 4-2 late i one and gave up an empty netter (and then another meaningless one).

I don't know which one was "closer" (nor do I particularly care) but the way you're trying to make it sound insane that someone believes the Boston one was more competitive is frankly ludicrous.

My post was a response to fans here being happy that the bruins were at least the closest series/toughest of any opponent they had faced so far.

Which I felt was wrong and rather embarrassing that that’s people were saying and happy about being the perceived best loser.

But I get it fans get their panties in a bunch when they think the team is further away than they really are. So being the closest team to beating florida gives them comfort.

Frankly no one was even really close. But my original response was to that train of thought

Reactions: capecodder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad