Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/13/2024)

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Was there a clip of his near-assist posted anywhere?

I checked twitter and couldn't find one.

If anyone reading this has the ability to upload a clip from the game, it happened when there was 9:57 remaining in the 2nd period.

I just watched the play again. Perreault carrying the puck through the neutral zone with a good amount of speed, he makes a quick deke by a player at the blue line and then ends up pulling this unconventional-looking stickhandle/deke moving the puck between his legs to create space and then he does a spin around pass to feed a teammate in the slot where that scoring opportunity just got broken up with a stick check from a defender.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Harbour Dog

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
At this point if these guys score on the PP, I don't even count it.

I still think Perreault is an ideal player to put with Trocheck and Laf. I doubt they will do something that smart though.

Hopefully these guys keep up the hot starts.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
Perrault dropped in the draft due to size and speed concerns. Skating looks perfectly fine to me. EliteProspects listed him at 165 lbs. when he was drafted. BC now lists him at 178 lbs. Add 9 lbs. and he'll be the same size as Cally with more skill.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Perrault dropped in the draft due to size and speed concerns. Skating looks perfectly fine to me. EliteProspects listed him at 165 lbs. when he was drafted. BC now lists him at 178 lbs. Add 9 lbs. and he'll be the same size as Cally with more skill.
Yeah, in hindsight about 20 teams are going to be kicking themselves.
His skating issues were always overblown, and he’s just getting better. He was undersized partly due to being one of the youngest in the draft. He’ll be fine in that area. We lucked out getting him. Kind of makes up for Kakko not near living up to his 2OA pedigree.

Reactions: Speedtrials

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
American International College (AIC) has been around for decades but they've almost always been a bottom feeder when it comes to division 1 college hockey teams. They almost never get the best recruits or even NHL draft picks. Not very many of them ever become pros. The only NHL'er to play for them that I can think of is Dave Forbes who played for the Bruins in the 70's and took out Henry Boucha's eye with a deliberate butt end.

What we see in the video is how nifty Gabriel is with the puck and how he can pick his way through seams and his ability to make a play from anywhere in the offensive zone at any given time (IMO he's our best prospect and it's not even that close) but that wasn't a very good college team that BC was facing.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
American International College (AIC) has been around for decades but they've almost always been a bottom feeder when it comes to division 1 college hockey teams. They almost never get the best recruits or even NHL draft picks. Not very many of them ever become pros. The only NHL'er to play for them that I can think of is Dave Forbes who played for the Bruins in the 70's and took out Henry Boucha's eye with a deliberate butt end.

What we see in the video is how nifty Gabriel is with the puck and how he can pick his way through seams and his ability to make a play from anywhere in the offensive zone at any given time (IMO he's our best prospect and it's not even that close) but that wasn't a very good college team that BC was facing.
But yet we don't see other players pulling off rushes up the ice and passes like that vs them? Lets not try to discredit him. Don't really understand the reason for this post.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
But yet we don't see other players pulling off rushes up the ice and passes like that vs them? Lets not try to discredit him. Don't really understand the reason for this post.
Don't think anyone is trying to "discredit" Gabe but if you are extrapolating the point - would anyone be putting any weight, for example, into Panarin stickhandling over bunch of street hockey kids?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Most hockey players---even most pros can't do some of the things that Gabriel can pull off. That said if Jack Hughes turned Chad Ruhwedel into a pretzel off of a rush most people wouldn't think twice about it and Ruhwedel is a lot better defenseman than anyone AIC has had since it started its program in the late 1940's. I found a second AIC player who made it to the NHL Kevin Wortman who played 5 games. AIC is not a top program and by Division 1 standards it's a pushover team. I'm not going to say these kids suck. To me anyone who can even play Division 3 college hockey would outshine myself and most players I've ever played against. You got to be pretty good just to make one of those teams but they're not on a level that can seriously compete with the best in college hockey or even beyond and Perreault dangled his way between 3/4 guys hardly getting touched here. That wouldn't likely happen in the NHL.

You're right though it's not super important for me to say what I did.......though I think it's always good to not get too swept away by any one play a player might make at a lower level of competition. Perreault is a fantastic player for his peer group and I can easily see him becoming a 1st line NHL player and I would leave him in college rather than put him in Hartford. To me when the time comes that he signs I want him as ready as possible to make the jump to the NHL and I think he has a very good chance of doing that and maybe even by the end of this year.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Don't think anyone is trying to "discredit" Gabe but if you are extrapolating the point - would anyone be putting any weight, for example, into Panarin stickhandling over bunch of street hockey kids?
These are still D1 hockey players. It’s not Panarin vs street hockey kids.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The impressive thing is that he didn't try to stuff it in for a low percentage chance like 99.999999% of other players would have in that situation and instead found a way to create a much more dangerous chance. I don't think the level of competition really matters as much as the read does there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
AIC has a D1 hockey program like UTEP has a D1 football program. Yeah, they're D1, but leaving it at that ignores the greater context that they're perennially terrible.

If a RB from Texas puts together an unbelievable run against UTEP, it's a good highlight but everyone is also going to say, "Yeah but it's UTEP." And that's fine. Adding the context isn't discrediting the player involved.

When the powerhouses play the shit teams, it's basically just a skills demonstration.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kevin Wortman is the only other one. He played 5 NHL games.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
AIC has a D1 hockey program like UTEP has a D1 football program. Yeah, they're D1, but leaving it at that ignores the greater context that they're perennially terrible.

If a RB from Texas puts together an unbelievable run against UTEP, it's a good highlight but everyone is also going to say, "Yeah but it's UTEP." And that's fine. Adding the context isn't discrediting the player involved.

When the powerhouses play the shit teams, it's basically just a skills demonstration.
That "perennially" terrible team just tied Ohio State the other weekend.

Yes they will be a bottom team in D1, but again they aren't a bunch of kids who can't play. BC only managed to beat them 5-0, and out shot them 31-20. If it was a skills demonstration the score should have been 12-0. Also top prospect Ryan Leonard couldn't even record a single point vs this team. So again, lets pump the breaks a bit, it's not the biggest mismatch in college history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad