Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We need to figure out how to play in our own end pretty quickly
Yeah our goaltending stats aren’t very good at all
But
Look at the chances we are bleeding. That second goal was a display of zero effort back checking by our captain. That’s a hell of an example to show. Leaving an opponent wide open in front of the net resulted in the third goal. This just isn’t good enough
But
I suppose we will fire another coach in 10 days or so and everything will be fine

What are you talking about? The Oilers severely limited scoring chances through most of the game. Their in zone defending is mostly pretty good, and about 6th or 7th on the list of concerns so far.

Preventable f*** ups in the o zone combined with lazy back checking isn't a D zone issue, it's a forwards being stupid and lazy issue, which has been a constant this season.

most slower teams at least have a 4th line that is youthful and fast hard hitting why it is called an energy line Oilers have a geriatric 4th line, the lack of speed on this team is very alarming

Yet that line has been really good the whole year.

The only bad line really has been the lines that RNH is on haha.

The team's xGF jumps like 30% with him off the ice.

So far this year he might be the worst board player in the NHL. He cannot/will not win a battle, and if he has the puck there he's almost always going to turn it over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That’s fine in a no cap league. But in the current NHL, once pen is put to paper it begins to affect the club and the roster it can assemble/moves it can make for the next season. Many here spent all last season crying about Brown’s bonus money overflowing to this season (not you of course, cause you know he wasn’t making that money last year). It’s the same principle. Just because the money isn’t in Draisaitl’s pocket this year, doesn’t mean it’s not already affecting the club.
Its not the same at all. Cup stated why are we paying Drai 14M to be a McWinger. This stated in present tense. Now I'm not saying that Cup doesn't know what Drai is getting paid, but several posters here have been under the impression that Drai is already making 14M right now. Maybe you haven't seen some of those posts.

Brown contract was entirely different, a contract that was one year with option as I recall wherein the player was paid total of 4M with most of it deferred to this season. So that any analysis of whether one season of Brown was being worth a total payout of 4M was valid. It was a unique contractual situation. It was an unknown whether the Oilers would pick up Brown for another year either.

There should be no confusion that Drai is making his current pay, 8.5M this whole season.

Do you think the Oilers shouldn't have signed the Drai contract?

I would take Huet over Skinner.
anytime.

Reactions: Canovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I despise the McDrai thing tbh first of all because they refuse to play defense when they play together but also because Ryan Nothing can't drive a line. It's still early in the season so no reason to sound off alarms but every stupid coach resorts to it and sticks with it for a while and it rarely works long term.

I'd like to think that they're paying Drai elite money long term to be an elite line driver not a McDavid winger. He can do it, the Oilers have some good players on the wing at least in the short term so time to keep him on his own line and stick with it long term.
Both McD and Drai defend. They would probably defend even harder if the goalies on a team weren't sporting over 4GA averages. The team cheats for offense, knows it has to, and that it needs 4 goals in a game to even be in a game. Thats the pressure brought to bear and has been for most of a decade.

Its different for McD and Drai. They know they have to drag teams into the fight every season, pretty much all season. They're running unprecedented pts shares within a team. So much of this teams offense is thru either McD or Drai, or both and continues to be.

I honestly think this roster is not properly composed and will not survive rigor of a season and playoffs well. If I can add as well that losing several youth players had little to do with the Drai contract. It was due to the team going out shopping in offseason. Arvid for instance getting 4M/X2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Both McD and Drai defend. They would probably defend even harder if the goalies on a team weren't sporting over 4GA averages. The team cheats for offense, knows it has to, and that it needs 4 goals in a game to even be in a game. Thats the pressure brought to bear and has been for most of a decade.

Its different for McD and Drai. They know they have to drag teams into the fight every season, pretty much all season. They're running unprecedented pts shares within a team. So much of this teams offense is thru either McD or Drai, or both and continues to be.

I honestly think this roster is not properly composed and will not survive rigor of a season and playoffs well. If I can add as well that losing several youth players had little to do with the Drai contract. It was due to the team going out shopping in offseason. Arvid for instance getting 4M/X2
They defend separately, not together. They routinely get caved in their own end when they're paired together.

That's one of many reasons why this should never be a thing. We've seen it for years and it has never once been conducive to long term success.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Even last year when he was healthy he was at a 60+ point pace and usually is. Gets hurt a lot but is usually good when he is in. Hell he even had 3 points in 5 games against us in the playoffs, which was third on the team for LA.
He was also -3 in one of the games and being really bad in a few of the games. The player isn't much anymore. People keep saying just wait.

Pacing on the basis of 17games played is statistically a stretch. Thats limited sample and with the Kings playing a lot of weak non playoff clubs down the stretch. Stands to reason too that a player that has had the whole season off has more energy to muster for short amount of games.

Arvid didn't score a goal in playoffs and he has 0-0-0 boxcars since. We're paying him 8M to be here. Another potentially exploding contract. Arivd won't hit benchmarks of even 20g 20A this season. He hasn't been good on pk either.

Skinner worked OK with McD so lets refuse to do that....Seems odd. Why not park Nuge with Drai for awhile and give them some third?

You'll forgive me for wondering why Dermott draws back in over Stecher.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They defend separately, not together. They routinely get caved in their own end when they're paired together.

That's one of many reasons why this should never be a thing. We've seen it for years and it has never once been conducive to long term success.
One could argue keeping them apart always isn't either. McD and Drai eat much more punishment and both get much tighter checking when they are apart. With lack of any enforcer in lineup this season is that really what we want?

I do think a team with these superstars will end up hitting the cheat code once in awhile when the team is struggling. Anything to keep McD happy probably also a consideration.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was also -3 in one of the games and being really bad in a few of the games. The player isn't much anymore. People keep saying just wait.

Pacing on the basis of 17games played is statistically a stretch. Thats limited sample and with the Kings playing a lot of weak non playoff clubs down the stretch. Stands to reason too that a player that has had the whole season off has more energy to muster for short amount of games.

Arvid didn't score a goal in playoffs and he has 0-0-0 boxcars since. We're paying him 8M to be here. Another potentially exploding contract. Arivd won't hit benchmarks of even 20g 20A this season. He hasn't been good on pk either.

Skinner worked OK with McD so lets refuse to do that....Seems odd. Why not park Nuge with Drai for awhile and give them some third?
Oh look. The same top 6 lines that didn’t work and giving Henrique more 4th liners. I wonder how effective that will be!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oh look. The same top 6 lines that didn’t work and giving Henrique more 4th liners. I wonder how effective that will be!
In fairness KK likes to do this apparently. He'll have some strange config at practice and then surprise us all at it not being the case when the game starts. He's done with the lines and D pairs already this season. KK trolling us? hehe

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
One could argue keeping them apart always isn't either. McD and Drai eat much more punishment and both get much tighter checking when they are apart. With lack of any enforcer in lineup this season is that really what we want?
They made the Cup Final last year playing on separate lines. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't the answer and given that they're scoring at a league-worst rate right now I think the results speak for themselves.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They made the Cup Final last year playing on separate lines. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't the answer and given that they're scoring at a league-worst rate right now I think the results speak for themselves.
They were also playing together at times, in the playoffs. My own personal preference is apart, play them apart, so we're not in disagreement overall.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing players but the team is better off if they're running their own lines. The biggest this season, outside of Skinner, is that the top guys haven't been nearly good enough even strength and on the PP. The depth lines have been good, the defending (contrary to popular belief) has been fine. It's the top guys (PP) and goaltending that has done them in early on.

The positive of this is that it's only a matter of time until the top guys play like.....top guys so the team will take off at some point but thus far they are one of the problems with RNH and Hyman added in but I consider Hyman a part of that top group.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing players but the team is better off if they're running their own lines. The biggest this season, outside of Skinner, is that the top guys haven't been nearly good enough even strength and on the PP. The depth lines have been good, the defending (contrary to popular belief) has been fine. It's the top guys (PP) and goaltending that has done them in early on.

The positive of this is that it's only a matter of time until the top guys play like.....top guys so the team will take off at some point but thus far they are one of the problems with RNH and Hyman added in but I consider Hyman a part of that top group.
Its overstated that the depth lines have been very good. I love Henrique but his line was not good last game. Perry has on moments and then games like Dallas where he disappears. On the road trip particularly our depth lines haven't been good.

The focus is weird being McD and Drai when several players on this club haven't even scored a goal or have 0,1 or 2pts. We're not getting the forward depth production alleged. We're really missing Kane obviously, but nobody outside of McDrai is producing much. Outside of Skinner hardly any production outside our to two that always carry us.

6 forwards that have played every one of our 6 games that haven't scored yet. Thats not good. Its a problem.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its overstated that the depth lines have been very good. I love Henrique but his line was not good last game. Perry has on moments and then games like Dallas where he disappears.

The focus is weird being McD and Drai when several players on this club haven't even scored a goal or have 0,1 or 2pts. We're not getting the forward depth production alleged. We're really missing Kane obviously, but nobody outside of McDrai is producing much. Outside of Skinner hardly any production outside our to two that always carry us.
The PP is at 6.7%, that's due to the top guys not performing up to par. That and the PK is killing the team but I also think poor goaltending is the main reason for the poor PK percentage so by extension of that I put the blame more on Skinner than the PK.

True that even strength there hasn't been a lot of depth scoring but I feel that Skinner (3rd liner for a while now) and the 4th line has been their best lines. 2nd line with Ryan Nothing has been the biggest issue up front but the top guys aren't producing like they usually do either although they tilt the ice like they always do.

It's fine, it's early, no reason to be alarmed or draw conclusions but that's my take about the season thus far. Special Teams being the forefront of the issues which is generally a top guy and goaltending issue.

Reactions: K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The PP is at 6.7%, that's due to the top guys not performing up to par. That and the PK is killing the team but I also think poor goaltending is the main reason for the poor PK percentage so by extension of that I put the blame more on Skinner than the PK.

True that even strength there hasn't been a lot of depth scoring but I feel that Skinner (3rd liner for a while now) and the 4th line has been their best lines. 2nd line with Ryan Nothing has been the biggest issue up front but the top guys aren't producing like they usually do either although they tilt the ice like they always do.

It's fine, it's early, no reason to be alarmed or draw conclusions but that's my take about the season thus far. Special Teams being the forefront of the issues which is generally a top guy and goaltending issue.
Hyman and Nuge having zero goals contributes to that. PP hasn't looked sharp. EV McDrai are producing pretty much as usual.

Henrique line was not good on road trip. Not getting it done. Really Henrique, a player of his stature probably needs more roles and we need to use him more. Hard to say if we can though with his age. As @Spawn has mentioned we're paying tons for a selection of players that are not producing much.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness KK likes to do this apparently. He'll have some strange config at practice and then surprise us all at it not being the case when the game starts. He's done with the lines and D pairs already this season. KK trolling us? hehe
I just don’t get the point. Why practice with lines you know you won’t use.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The Flames are actually a bad comparision at this point in time.
San Jose is a better comparison.

Just like the start of last season the Oilers are fighting it out with San Jose for the bottom of the Pacific Division.

Goals for GP:
San Jose: 11 goals in 5 games
Edmonton: 12 goals in 6 games (tied for last in the NHL)

Goal differential:
San Jose: -11
Edmonton: -12 (2nd last in the NHL)

Net PP%:
San Jose: 15.4%
Edmonton: 6.7% (Bottom 5 in the NHL)

Net PK%:
San Jose: 80%
Edmonton: 55% (last in the NHL)

The Oilers deserve to be where they currently are in the standings and the vast majority of the blame falls on their best players.

Yeah totally the big dogs fault. Oop, I found this graph

team-goaltending-oct-20-v0-lt91w02c24wd1.jpeg

Huh. Weird. Who could have guessed this?

Anyway, I wonder why we lost to Dallas? We were playing so well... Must be McDavid and Draisaitl, all them.

I wonder why our goal differential is so bad too. Must just be all McDavid and Draisaitl, too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

View attachment 919465

Anyway, I wonder why we lost to Dallas? We were playing so well... Must be McDavid and Draisaitl, all them.

I wonder why our goal differential is so bad too. Must just be all McDavid and Draisaitl, too.
Seems almost like the most obvious things somehow are not obvious. heh What could be more evident than Colorado and Oilers are getting the worst goaltending by miles. These two are off the graph, they're outlier off the graph. Not even in the normal curve distribution, lol

1729540004462.png

f***ing lazy Drai letting all those goals in

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

View attachment 919465

you expected to win the game 0-0 with McDrai doing jack shit all game?

the difference between the Oilers and Avs is MacKinnon, Rantanen and Markar are actually producing at an almost 2PPG clip

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Late to the party, and not sure if these have been stated.

Henrique had an awful, awful, awful game. Bad route to his assignment on lost faceoff on PP goal against (I couldn't believe it even after watching replay, such a basic and silly mistake). Lost his man (the scorer) on another play out of the corner. Turned the puck over every time he touched it. Very far cry from his usual dependable but unspectacular play.

Again we generated a ton of looks but we have 12 (!!!) goals in 6 games. That is unsustainable given the amount of chances we normally create. I mean, Hyman has had a ton of great looks and probably has 5-6 goals by now if he's finishing like last year. He must feel like it will never go in for him again at this point. I think we will come around but our poise/finish/puck luck around the net has been rough so far. I guess that is a long-winded way of saying I think we are still a very good team and it's coming. I hope.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad