Injury Report: 2024 - 2025 Injury Reports

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
You must have typed something similar as me into google because I also read some semi-vague blurb about teams only insuring the highest paid players. And I also agree that seems odd. Ha. Like you insure Jordan Kyrou but not Nick Leddy? Does each player get its own quote from the insurer or is it pooled together? How are claims honored? Does player X have to miss X number of games? We’re not talking about heath care or disability insurance which I think the PA might oversee. We’re talking about salary insurance for the organization. The concept of insuring salaries is kind of counter intuitive as an employer but the NHL is unusual in that salaries are guaranteed.
It’s been years since I’ve seen anything official but here’s my understanding of how it works.

Teams decide which contracts to insure and which not to insure. It’s up to their own cost/benefit analysis (perhaps more actuarial tables 😜). But yes, generally teams will insure the big contracts but not really bother with the low AAV/short term ones. Leddy? He’s probably borderline. My guess is his contract is insured. But yes, the premiums are costly so I’m sure there’s some math out there that helps determine when insurance is worth it and when it’s not.

Each policy would be for each individual player and there could be exceptions. Like say the Blues sign a player that has had numerous shoulder injuries. There could be a clause saying everything is covered except for that shoulder for example.

Yes, players have to miss X number of games first for the insurance to kick in. I forget what X is. Maybe 20 games? Which isn’t nothing. That’s 1/4 of the season. And usually the amount covered is 80%.

That said, I’m sure all of these variables are negotiable but that’s my understanding of what’s “standard”.

My understanding is there’s really only 1-2 insurance companies that specialize in this sort of insurance. Not like you can just stop by your local State Farm office and Jake will insure your $100M contract.

Last edited:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
It’s been years since I’ve seen anything official but here’s my understanding of how it works.

Teams decide which contracts to insure and which not to ensure. It’s up to their own cost/benefit analysis (perhaps more actuarial tables 😜). But yes, generally teams will insure the big contracts but not really bother with the low AAV/short term ones. Leddy? He’s probably borderline. My guess is his contract is insured. But yes, the premiums are costly so I’m sure there’s some math out there that helps determine when insurance is worth it and when it’s not.

Each policy would be for each individual player and there could be exceptions. Like say the Blues sign a player that has had numerous shoulder injuries. There could be a clause saying everything is covered except for that shoulder for example.

Yes, players have to miss X number of games first for the insurance to kick in. I forget what X is. Maybe 20 games? Which isn’t nothing. That’s 1/4 of the season. And usually the amount covered is 80%.

That said, I’m sure all of these variables are negotiable but that’s my understanding of what’s “standard”.

My understanding is there’s really only 1-2 insurance companies that specialize in this sort of insurance. Not like you can just stop by your local State Farm office and Jake will insure your $100M contract.
That sounds about right...season or career ending injuries for high $ payroll guys is the worst case scenario but perhaps the more common claim is what you're describing...a guy misses 20 games with a legitimate injury and the team makes a covered claim for up to 80% of his salary over X number of payroll dates during the time he is out.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
That sounds about right...season or career ending injuries for high $ payroll guys is the worst case scenario but perhaps the more common claim is what you're describing...a guy misses 20 games with a legitimate injury and the team makes a covered claim for up to 80% of his salary over X number of payroll dates during the time he is out.
Well 20 games was just my recollection of how many games a player had to miss for insurance to even start to pay out. ie. the team would still be paying 100% of the cost for those 20 games and then insurance would start to cover 80%.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Well 20 games was just my recollection of how many games a player had to miss for insurance to even start to pay out. ie. the team would still be paying 100% of the cost for those 20 games and then insurance would start to cover 80%.
Ah, I see...so then ya, the salary insurance, however it's calculated, is then really for more catastrophic situations like season & career ending situations where a lot of money is still owed to a non-contributing player.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I am actually surprised and disappointed by some of the posters in here and on social media with this Krug news. Yes I thought Krug was overpaid, yes I wanted to see him moved too, but I never questioned his level of effort to this team. Now his year and possibly his career are over and people are making jokes at his expense? Where is the empathy? Thank you Krug, I know that it hasn't always been a comfortable relationship in St. Louis but I genuinely appreciate your effort day in and day out to make this team better.
This. 100%.

These are human beings at the end of the day. Krug seems like a good man and a good father. I wish him well in his recovery .

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Zero sympathy. Never liked his game or what he brought to Blues. Its not his fault he sucks, but Army acquiring him was one of the biggest mistakes.

Such a cry baby.

Reactions: TheDizee

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I don't like how Krug has played the past few years but I never questioned his character like I do with Kyrou. I wish him all the best in his recovery but I want him to never play for us again, along with Kyrou, unless he can contribute without a negative impact.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Zero sympathy. Never liked his game or what he brought to Blues. Its not his fault he sucks, but Army acquiring him was one of the biggest mistakes.

Such a cry baby.

And ladies and gentlemen, we got a winner! The biggest douchebag award goes to... Ranksu!

Come on man... I understand you're not a fan of him, but have some sympathy: the man's career is probably over.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Gotta say this strikes pretty close to home for me. Watching that Krug interview was very remiscent of the struggles I've been going through the past 6 months now.

Dealing with my 4th diagnosed concussion and developing knee issues at 34 back in March this year. Both still bother me today and have essentially forced me out of the workplace because I cannot handle the day to day basics at home, let alone on an industrial site for 10+ hour work days.

For those mocking the emotions he shows - f*** off. Being forced to sit down and deal with recovering from injuries that may well take you away from a job you'd anticipated working until retirement is beyond heartless, that mental toll leads to you questioning almost everything about yourself when you can't do the things you took for granted. Yes, Krug is able to dry those tears with the $$ from an insurance policy most likely, but listening to the struggles at home shouldn't draw criticisms. Save your cry baby comments for your buddies you drink beer with at home.

I can admit I wanted Krug moved after his first 2 years with us because stylistically he doesn't fit our team needs, but I can admit that made efforts to improve and gave an effort every night he took the ice.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Relating to the quote he talks about the playoff injury 6 years ago, Matt DeFranks has pinpointed it to this moment.

I had the suspicions that this surgery/injury is possibly career ending for him, and I'd say that is still possibly the case. I've wanted Krug off the team as he just wasn't a fit here, but it's unfortunate to see it play it out this way. I do hope that he is able to either find a way back to a roster (just not the Blues) or find a path that is equally enjoyable to him within the sport, his brother is a very successful coach at Adrian College (NCAA D3) so maybe he could follow that route if playing is not an option again.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It’s a much simpler policy to try and show empathy and graciousness for everyone all the time. We never have enough data to know everyone’s whole story. This thread has gotten kind of embarrassing to me as a Blues fan.

I'm often embarrassed to be a Blues fan reading some comments on this forum but it's usually the same 3-4 people. Anyone happy about Krug's injury is not a good person as far as I'm concerned. Watching him brought to years discussing his injury and not being able to play this year should dispel any idea that he is faking or was persuaded to exaggerate the severity.

Another soft post. Go root for a team that won’t embarrass you then. Oh wait, that team doesn’t exist because every fanbase has people that have different opinions and not everyone will be as “empathetic” towards mega rich people as you want them to be. That’s too bad.

If you're saying every fan base has a certain amount of a-holes then I agree.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Man that press conference was tough to watch. That felt like a guy who knows his career is over.

I haven’t ever hid my disdain for his contract. From a roster perspective I think we are far better off not having us play for him. But man do I feel bad for him. If this really is the end it’s such a brutal way to end a career. Not being able to walk away on your own terms has to be horrible.

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
And Krug is pre-arthritic. They caught it and are fixing it pre, ie before it becomes an issue.

As a busy and underpaid medical doctor, I'll shed some light on this topic. I won't comment on Krug’s particular case as I haven’t reviewed his chart or met with him personally, but I can speak broadly about it. I understand the confusion around the diagnosis, but pre-arthritic does not mean that it's not a problem (if it weren't a problem, he wouldn't have been seeing a doctor about it in the first place). These individuals usually have pain, discomfort, and stiffness around the ankle, but when X rays are performed, they do not show characteristic changes you would expect from wear-and-tear (joint space narrowing, osteophytes, subchondral sclerosis, etc). This often suggests that there are microscopic inflammatory changes taking place that are triggering pain pathways, and you would never detect these things on a routine X ray. In practice, we simply call it osteoarthritis, bone-on-bone, or age-related degeneration.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Yeah you know what guys after watching that I changed my mind, he doesn't deserve empathy...:rolleyes:

Seriously though I think people just aren't able to separate the professional from the personal. Professionally I don't like the Krug the contract. Professionally I think he is a poor fit for our team. However, that doesn't mean that I can't relate personally to what he is going through and show empathy. If that makes me "holier than thou" or a "justice warrior" so be it. I would rather be that than someone who takes joy in someone else's pain.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah you know what guys after watching that I changed my mind, he doesn't deserve empathy...:rolleyes:

Seriously though I think people just aren't able to separate the professional from the personal. Professionally I don't like the Krug the contract. Professionally I think he is a poor fit for our team. However, that doesn't mean that I can't relate personally to what he is going through and show empathy. If that makes me "holier than thou" or a "justice warrior" so be it. I would rather be that than someone who takes joy in someone else's pain.

Having empathy does not make you holier than thou. Comments like "I am actually surprised and disappointed by some of the posters in here and on social media with this Krug news". Who are you to be dissapointed in and judge others?

Or "I guess you are more limited than me, I am capable of being empathetic for both". I'm limited because I'm not going to chastise so none on an internet message board because his lucrative and long career MAY be over a few years early and he needs a procedure that will fix his problems?

I mean that's literally saying you think you are holier than I am in my limited capacity. With if being less limited means being a key oard warrior crusading for millionaires with boo-boos, call me limited.

• Wow
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Having empathy does not make you holier than thou. Comments like "I am actually surprised and disappointed by some of the posters in here and on social media with this Krug news". Who are you to be dissapointed in and judge others?

Or "I guess you are more limited than me, I am capable of being empathetic for both". I'm limited because I'm not going to chastise so none on an internet message board because his lucrative and long career MAY be over a few years early and he needs a procedure that will fix his problems?

I mean that's literally saying you think you are holier than I am in my limited capacity. With if being less limited means being a key oard warrior crusading for millionaires with boo-boos, call me limited.

To your first point. Hi I am Blanick, my comments and feelings are my own. I am sorry for expressing them on a message board.

As for the 'limited capacity," that was joke in reference to you saying you would rather be empathic to someone less well off than Krug. A setup to the broader point that I was making that being empathic isn't mutually exclusive.

With that I am done with conversation. I am not letting myself get baited into some kind of morality debate with name calling and labels. We disagree and seemingly will continue to disagree. I don't believe any of the labels you have tried to stick to me are true. I am just a regular guy who believes Krug deserves empathy for his situation and have been disappointed by some of the responses from my fellow Blues fans, that I generally hold in high regard. Again I am not labeling you or others as bad people, just expressing my disappointment in your lack of empathy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad