Injury Report: 2024 - 2025 Injury Reports

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He can dry his tears by reading his bank statement then. He is vastly overpaid. If he doesn't realize that, he might not be smart enough to read. A bunch of randoms on the internet making jokes in a forum can't be worse than your boss trying to pay other teams to take you and getting few takers.

HarryTaint97

Aug 20, 2024
NHL Salary Cap Topics > Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) - High Level Overview

Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) - High Level Overview​

• To qualify for LTIR, a player must be expected to miss at least 10 NHL Games AND 24 days of the NHL season
  • When a player is on LTIR, a team may exceed the salary cap. Despite the common misconception, LTIR does not remove a Cap Hit from a team’s overall Cap Hit, it just potentially allows the team to exceed the salary cap.
  • The amount that a team may exceed the salary cap due to LTIR is commonly referred to as the “LTIR Pool”
  • If a team is cap compliant on opening day without using LTIR, or uses LTIR at any point during the season, the LTIR Pool is the Cap Hit of the LTIR player less the team’s cap space when the player goes on LTIR. For example, if a player with a $4M Cap Hit goes on LTIR when the team has $100K of Cap Space, the LTIR pool is $3.9M ($4M-$0.1M). Because of this, team’s often make several roster moves right before a player goes on LTIR in order to be as close to the cap as possible, in order to maximize the LTIR Pool
  • If a team cannot be cap compliant on opening day without using LTIR, the LTIR Pool is the amount the team exceeds the Cap. For example, if a team is $3M over the Cap and places a player on LTIR with a $4M Cap Hit for the opening roster submission, the LTIR Pool is the $3M that the team exceeded the cap
  • While on LTIR, Cap Space is no longer accrued, meaning any portion of the LTIR pool not used cannot be used later.
  • When a player comes off LTIR, the team’s annual cap hit for that day must be under the Cap

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am actually surprised and disappointed by some of the posters in here and on social media with this Krug news. Yes I thought Krug was overpaid, yes I wanted to see him moved too, but I never questioned his level of effort to this team. Now his year and possibly his career are over and people are making jokes at his expense? Where is the empathy? Thank you Krug, I know that it hasn't always been a comfortable relationship in St. Louis but I genuinely appreciate your effort day in and day out to make this team better.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
You're right. But it doesn't look like the cap is going to be a problem. And as was mentioned, if the Blues put him on LTIR, insurance probably pays his salary. 8.5M real dollars this year. Plus, the Blues could still go over the cap with him on LTIR. They have plenty of flexibility now with this being confirmed.
They had 2.2M in cap space. If he goes on LTIR they have approximately 6.5M minus the 2.2 (to get to the cap). At least that's how it was explained to me. And yeah, I agree it's confusing. In fact, I just confused myself. Bottom line, they have cap space if they don't LTIR him. They have more if they do.
I feel like all fans say this but I don’t think it’s that cut and dry in practicality. I’m sure the premiums are exhorbinant to insure big $ professional athletes salaries considering the high risk of injuries and who knows what the deductible is. Does a sports franchise really pay to insure its entire team? And what is the cost? Perhaps Brian could provide his thoughts! Always been curious about this topic…

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I feel like all fans say this but I don’t think it’s that cut and dry in practicality. I’m sure the premiums are exhorbinant to insure big $ professional athletes salaries considering the high risk of injuries and who knows what the deductible is. Does a sports franchise really pay to insure its entire team? And what is the cost? Perhaps Brian could provide his thoughts! Always been curious about this topic…
Part of their salary goes toward an investable, interest-accruing insurance fund, so they are paid at a 100% rate. That's my guess.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I don't know. I have read that they insure the high end contracts. That seems a bit odd to me. But who knows? Any former front office NHL personnel hanging around here just kind of kickin' it with the riff raff?
Seriously, I would guess there is at least some truth to it. The owners are big businessmen. They don't want to pay 8.5M to Torey Krug while he recovers from an arthritic ankle. If there's a way around it, ...

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am actually surprised and disappointed by some of the posters in here and on social media with this Krug news. Yes I thought Krug was overpaid, yes I wanted to see him moved too, but I never questioned his level of effort to this team. Now his year and possibly his career are over and people are making jokes at his expense? Where is the empathy? Thank you Krug, I know that it hasn't always been a comfortable relationship in St. Louis but I genuinely appreciate your effort day in and day out to make this team better.
Oh ffs, there always has to be people that complain that others aren’t being classy enough.

It’s not like Torey Krug’s life is in danger, his ankle is injured - not his brain or his heart. He has already had a longer hockey career and made more money than 99.9999999% of people ever will. He will be completely fine.

Look I’m sure he’s a nice guy. I have nothing against him as a person. But I’m a Blues fan first and foremost and I root for what is best for this team, and ending the Krug experiment undoubtedly is for the better at this point. Therefore, I am going to save my empathy for people that actually need it - and not someone who played 13 years as a professional athlete, made tens of millions of dollars and is set for life. At some point everyone’s body breaks down and they have to retire and Krug may be approaching that point soon. That’s normal, it’s not a tragedy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

My empathy is reserved for individuals not set for life. People make jokes about our prospects who fail, and nobody bats an eye. Their careers ending are much more devestating financially. Krug is set for life. The loss of his career will not set his quality if life back, especially as he will continue to get paid.

My empathy is for players who will suffer long term from injuries. This is not an injury that is devastatingly painful for the rest of his life. The surgery us meant to alleviate his pain. It's not like he has multiple concussions and suffer from them for his whole life, or chronic back pain that will debilitating him his whole life.

Krug's life will be better than 99.9% of the worlds. What are we empathizing?

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Oh ffs, there always has to be people that complain that others aren’t being classy enough.

It’s not like Torey Krug’s life is in danger, his ankle is injured - not his brain or his heart. He has already had a longer hockey career and made more money than 99.9999999% of people ever will. He will be completely fine.

Look I’m sure he’s a nice guy. I have nothing against him as a person. But I’m a Blues fan first and foremost and I root for what is best for this team, and ending the Krug experiment undoubtedly is for the better at this point. Therefore, I am going to save my empathy for people that actually need it - and not someone who played 13 years as a professional athlete, made tens of millions of dollars and is set for life. At some point everyone’s body breaks down and they have to retire and Krug may be approaching that point soon. That’s normal, it’s not a tragedy.

You seem like a well adjusted person. Tell me what exactly is the salary range to qualify for empathy? I have a successful career, make good, not great, money but am overall happy, if I was told that it might be ending I would be gutted. Guy dedicated his entire life for this career and to be told that your career might be in jeopardy has to be hard on him. Then to find fans of the team you play for saying they are happy they are hurt is just piling on. It is fine to play armchair GM and I agree that I wanted the Krug experiment end as well but I hope it would happen via a trade not a injury. The lack of empathy and outright joy that some have about this is disgusting.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My empathy is reserved for individuals not set for life. People make jokes about our prospects who fail, and nobody bats an eye. Their careers ending are much more devestating financially. Krug is set for life. The loss of his career will not set his quality if life back, especially as he will continue to get paid.

My empathy is for players who will suffer long term from injuries. This is not an injury that is devastatingly painful for the rest of his life. The surgery us meant to alleviate his pain. It's not like he has multiple concussions and suffer from them for his whole life, or chronic back pain that will debilitating him his whole life.

I guess you are more limited than me, I am capable of being empathetic for both. It's comforting that he has the safety net, doesn't mean he is exempt from empathy though.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I don't know. I have read that they insure the high end contracts. That seems a bit odd to me. But who knows? Any former front office NHL personnel hanging around here just kind of kickin' it with the riff raff?
Seriously, I would guess there is at least some truth to it. The owners are big businessmen. They don't want to pay 8.5M to Torey Krug while he recovers from an arthritic ankle. If there's a way around it, ...
You must have typed something similar as me into google because I also read some semi-vague blurb about teams only insuring the highest paid players. And I also agree that seems odd. Ha. Like you insure Jordan Kyrou but not Nick Leddy? Does each player get its own quote from the insurer or is it pooled together? How are claims honored? Does player X have to miss X number of games? We’re not talking about heath care or disability insurance which I think the PA might oversee. We’re talking about salary insurance for the organization. The concept of insuring salaries is kind of counter intuitive as an employer but the NHL is unusual in that salaries are guaranteed.

Reactions: blueper

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

except I know someone who had to have his ankle fused in his 20’s from arthritis he developed from an injury, it most certainly altered his life with a lot of things he could no longer do

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I guess you are more limited than me, I am capable of being empathetic for both. It's comforting that he has the safety net, doesn't mean he is exempt from empathy though.

Again, empathy for what? For retiring early with more than enough money? For having a long career relative to his chosen profession end? For having the means to have surgery to fix an issue before it is a problem?

You are coming off holier than thou about this. People poke fun of players way worse off than Krug with no push back on here all the time. But because you decided this deserved empathy, suddenly others aren't good people. Just because they made a joke about someone whom it would be tough to punch more up than.

Now let me just say I am disagreeing with you on thus issue but overall I think you are a fantastic poster. I just disagree we need to tiptoe around being happy a bad player is not on our team due to a injury he caught before it became problematic. We can make fun of Chicago players whose career end due to issues but not Krug with pre-arthritis?

except I know someone who had to have his ankle fused in his 20’s from arthritis he developed from an injury, it most certainly altered his life with a lot of things he could no longer do

And Krug is pre-arthritic. They caught it and are fixing it pre, ie before it becomes an issue.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
You seem like a well adjusted person. Tell me what exactly is the salary range to qualify for empathy? I have a successful career, make good, not great, money but am overall happy, if I was told that it might be ending I would be gutted. Guy dedicated his entire life for this career and to be told that your career might be in jeopardy has to be hard on him. Then to find fans of the team you play for saying they are happy they are hurt is just piling on. It is fine to play armchair GM and I agree that I wanted the Krug experiment end as well but I hope it would happen via a trade not an injury. The lack of empathy and outright joy that some have about this is disgusting.
Your kind of ignoring the reality that this is more than likely a fake injury as the manager didn’t want him on the team anymore, his salary was unmovable without the Blues moving a premium asset, and the player didn’t want to ride the buses for the remainder of his deal. Everyone is cutting their losses.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
have to wonder if that's the beginning of the end for krug

defense was definitely better with him in the line up rather than out, but i get why people are pleased with the news

broberg gonna saddle that scapegoat next? nahh, probably just kyrou for scoring 34

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Your kind of ignoring the reality that this is more than likely a fake injury as the manager didn’t want him on the team anymore, his salary was unmovable without the Blues moving a premium asset, and the player didn’t want to ride the buses for the remainder of his deal. Everyone is cutting their losses.
Nobody has surgery for a fake injury.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Nobody has surgery for a fake injury.
“Fake” in the sense that no one in the organization really cares about his prognosis or future as a player in the organization or this would’ve been done right after the season. Pre-arthritic? I mean, I’m not a doctor but let’s read the tea leaves here…

• Wow

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Again, empathy for what? For retiring early with more than enough money? For having a long career relative to his chosen profession end? For having the means to have surgery to fix an issue before it is a problem?

You are coming off holier than thou about this. People poke fun of players way worse off than Krug with no push back on here all the time. But because you decided this deserved empathy, suddenly others aren't good people. Just because they made a joke about someone whom it would be tough to punch more up than.

Now let me just say I am disagreeing with you on thus issue but overall I think you are a fantastic poster. I just disagree we need to tiptoe around being happy a bad player is not on our team due to a injury he caught before it became problematic. We can make fun of Chicago players whose career end due to issues but not Krug with pre-arthritis?

And Krug is pre-arthritic. They caught it and are fixing it pre, ie before it becomes an issue.

First let me say that overall I think you are a very good poster as well, that is part of the reason I am even engaging here. That being said this will be my last post on the matter before this escalates.

So the basis of your argument is that Krug has made a lot of money so is not deserving of empathy? So I will again ask the question, what is the salary range to qualify for empathy? Yes, people poke fun at the players performances all the time, that is just part of being a fan. However, I can say confidently that whenever a player has had a potentially career ending injury whether he is Chicago (Hossa? Toews?) or the Blues (Steen) I have shown empathy. "It sucks that their career might come to end out of their own control." Does that make me "holier than thou." I guess but I would rather be that than a disrespectful jackass. Truth be told I really can't really think of a time when I have seen so much joy off of a player being injured and there is a difference between joking to alleviate tension and finding joy in a players suffering. Perunovich as a prospect has been constantly injured and people have generally shown concern about his development, frustration at the lost time and some tongue in cheek jokes about him being made of glass. I can't recall a single post saying they are happy he is out hurt.

Krug is not a bad player, he is actually very talented but he needs to be insulated by a strong team defense. The situation is not ideal in St. Louis and I would be happy if he was no longer on our team via a trade but I am not going to celebrate him being injured.

“Fake” in the sense that no one in the organization really cares about his prognosis or future as a player in the organization or this would’ve been done right after the season. Pre-arthritic? I mean, I’m not a doctor but let’s read the tea leaves here…

Yes, Army who just this summer traded a pick alongside Hayes so that he could continue his NHL career instead of burying him minors when he realized he wasn't a good fit, doesn't care about his players. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ds774622

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

It's not a fake injury, come on.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I feel bad for the guy. I don't care what he makes. He's a decent hockey player in the later stage of his career. An injury now is hard to deal with. I have empathy for that. It could be anyone of us in our own careers. Sidelined by something out of our control. As someone 10 years from potential retirement I can relate.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
First let me say that overall I think you are a very good poster as well, that is part of the reason I am even engaging here. That being said this will be my last post on the matter before this escalates.

So the basis of your argument is that Krug has made a lot of money so is not deserving of empathy? So I will again ask the question, what is the salary range to qualify for empathy? Yes, people poke fun at the players performances all the time, that is just part of being a fan. However, I can say confidently that whenever a player has had a potentially career ending injury whether he is Chicago (Hossa? Toews?) or the Blues (Steen) I have shown empathy. "It sucks that their career might come to end out of their own control." Does that make me "holier than thou." I guess but I would rather be that than a disrespectful jackass. Truth be told I really can't really think of a time when I have seen so much joy off of a player being injured and there is a difference between joking to alleviate tension and finding joy in a players suffering. Perunovich as a prospect has been constantly injured and people have generally shown concern about his development, frustration at the lost time and some tongue in cheek jokes about him being made of glass. I can't recall a single post saying they are happy he is out hurt.

Krug is not a bad player, he is actually very talented but he needs to be insulated by a strong team defense. The situation is not ideal in St. Louis and I would be happy if he was no longer on our team via a trade but I am not going to celebrate him being injured.

Yes, Army who just this summer traded a pick alongside Hayes so that he could continue his NHL career instead of burying him minors when he realized he wasn't a good fit, doesn't care about his players. :rolleyes:

You said this is your last post, and I respect that. But you asked a question about salary range for empathy. To answer, there is no range. Its the totality of circumstances.

Krug is someone who played a longer than average career in his chosen field. He made more than average for that career, and far more than average for all careers.

The field he chose is one that ends often with long-term injury issues, yet he was able to catch it and take care of it before it became an issue. KRUG made the decision to prioritize his health over continuing to play.

So while you can have some empathy for a career cut short, it's longer than the vast majority of NHL careers, he is not losing money as he will be paid out his contract, he shouldn't suffer long-term effects and the choice was never taken from him.

And as for nobody making fun of the Blackhawks, they absolutely made fun of Hossa and Toews. Quick search I saw "Toews got Hossa'd" and "got to love it" in response to Crawford retiring due to concussion issues. How about the Coliacovo report (which got renamed after various Blues with injury issues)?

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You seem like a well adjusted person. Tell me what exactly is the salary range to qualify for empathy? I have a successful career, make good, not great, money but am overall happy, if I was told that it might be ending I would be gutted. Guy dedicated his entire life for this career and to be told that your career might be in jeopardy has to be hard on him. Then to find fans of the team you play for saying they are happy they are hurt is just piling on. It is fine to play armchair GM and I agree that I wanted the Krug experiment end as well but I hope it would happen via a trade not an injury. The lack of empathy and outright joy that some have about this is disgusting.
I really do not care. Bottom line is you can get over it.

I am not saying I am happy he is injured, what I am saying is I am happy that he can be placed on LTIR and potentially not play for us anymore. Hopefully his surgery goes well but I don’t want him to suit up for another game for us. Him not being on the ice for the Blues is a win for us. Unfortunately it took an injury for this to happen instead of a trade like I wanted, but here we are. This is the situation and I’m not sad about it.

If harmless posts are an Internet forum are “disgusting” then you’re worried about the wrong things in life because I didn’t even say anything bad, but that won’t stop you from trying to be a justice warrior.

It’s a much simpler policy to try and show empathy and graciousness for everyone all the time. We never have enough data to know everyone’s whole story. This thread has gotten kind of embarrassing to me as a Blues fan.
Another soft post. Go root for a team that won’t embarrass you then. Oh wait, that team doesn’t exist because every fanbase has people that have different opinions and not everyone will be as “empathetic” towards mega rich people as you want them to be. That’s too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad