2024-2025 Blues Trade Proposals Thread.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
It's not really fair to blame Brady for Ottawa not making the playoffs. Plenty of great players hadn't had playoff success by the time they were 25. As I said before, team success doesn't depend on one player just as one player doesn't fix a team's problems on their own.

I don't wanna get too deep into it since we've already discussed this here but the way I see it both Tkachuk and Kyrou put up similar points but one is a dominant power forward while the other is a mostly one dimensional, nonphysical player. Brady is a leader while Kyrou hasn't shown that kind of character up to this point. I feel he's more content to be a follower, albeit a very skilled one.

I wouldn't give up a ton more, but I'd give up more than most here I suspect.
I agree with you 100% except for the leadership part. When it comes to intangibles like leadership I have to look at team accomplishments, and Ottawa hasn't accomplished anything. That, combined with their contracts, leaves me uninterested. If we're trading Kyrou or Kyrou+, I want someone who has more going for him or addresses a position of need for us. I'd bet a lot on Brady looking great on a more functional team/organization then Ottawa, but I think he'd only be a marginal upgrade over Kyrou and would need a new 7 or 8 year contract that comes with a sizable rise in AAV in few years.

Reactions: Majorityof1

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Brady is the same flavor as Kyrou with different toppings. Skilled offensive forward who leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Brady just takes a lot more dumb penalties.

If his name wasn't Tkachuk we wouldn't be talking about him Nearly as much.
Agreed with this. I like Tkachuk but I am not tripping over myself to acquire him, seems like everyone loves him here because of his name and where he was born. The thing is we need another skilled top 6 on top of Kyrou, so trading Kyrou for another one doesn't really make much sense to me. We do need to bring in another impactful forward though, preferably at center but at this point in the retool I am not sure right now is the correct time to do so.

Reactions: Majorityof1

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If we were going to trade Kyrou for a Tkachuk, it should’ve been Matthew a couple years ago when Calgary was shopping him. We’ll never know for sure but I recall JR saying the Blues offer didn’t include Kyrou. My impression has always been that Army lowballed Calgary expecting to win the bidding anyway and he lost that game of chicken.

But that ship has sailed. Brady is good but not nearly as good as his brother IMO. 100% agree we wouldn’t be talking about him much at all if he didn’t have the Tkachuk/STL connection.

Might as well talk about acquiring the kid Utah just named their captain. Just as likely to happen IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The part that never made sense is it seemingly comes from a desire to recapture the memories of Keith who was one of the most selfish players and a pure choker. Something happened to Blues fans who were born in the late 80s early 90s, they were too young when Tkachuk was on the team to have differentiation rooting it was just pure rooting.

I want to be arguing about whether we should trade Kyrou for Perron's kids, and Perron's healthy daughter Elizabeth right there amid it all

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Glad to see a lot of posters nailing it with the Tkachuk-Kyrou trade talk. Tkachuk is not enough better to justify the trade cost and contract length. Kyrou has improved defensively, Tkachuk has not. Neutral fans think we need to add 1st rd pick ++ to Kyrou to even it out. That is far more than the difference on ice

The trade, if it happened, would be in the off-season. Tkachuk would have 3 years left before wanting a $10m+ deal taking him into his mid 30s. Kyrou would have twice as long at his current cap

One final note, a lot of people bring up BTs PIMs to diminish his value. I did too and another poster pointed out his penalties drawn. He draws more than he takes. So while the trade-off of losing a $8M player for whoever he is pulling into the box with him is probably a loss, he isn't leaving his team short handed as often as you'd think. Just pointing that out even though it goes against my take for a more honest discussion.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would be much more interested in trading from our futures pool (minus Dvorsky or Lindstein) for Brady than trying to swap Kyrou for him while adding.

I’d imagine I’d someone were wanting to compare it to the Matthew trade - which they shouldn’t, Matthew was a pretty complete player already - the ask would be Kyrou, Broberg and a 1st. That shouldn’t even be contemplated.

If it were something along the lines of Bolduc a 1st and another pick and possibly prospect like a Fischer or Ralph, sure that would make more sense in my eyes at least even if I don’t know if it’s in our best interest. I think the long-term signing of Buch along with the emergence of Neighbors, should put to bed any ideas we have about desperately needing a guy like Tkachuk.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree with you 100% except for the leadership part. When it comes to intangibles like leadership I have to look at team accomplishments, and Ottawa hasn't accomplished anything. That, combined with their contracts, leaves me uninterested. If we're trading Kyrou or Kyrou+, I want someone who has more going for him or addresses a position of need for us. I'd bet a lot on Brady looking great on a more functional team/organization then Ottawa, but I think he'd only be a marginal upgrade over Kyrou and would need a new 7 or 8 year contract that comes with a sizable rise in AAV in few years.

Leadership alone doesn't get a team into the playoffs. Even McDavid didn't get to the playoffs until he was If the Blues were in a division with Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto I doubt we'd fare any better than Ottawa. I guess I'm thinking more of his competitiveness and willingness to stick up for teammates.

If we were going to trade Kyrou for a Tkachuk, it should’ve been Matthew a couple years ago when Calgary was shopping him. We’ll never know for sure but I recall JR saying the Blues offer didn’t include Kyrou. My impression has always been that Army lowballed Calgary expecting to win the bidding anyway and he lost that game of chicken.

But that ship has sailed. Brady is good but not nearly as good as his brother IMO. 100% agree we wouldn’t be talking about him much at all if he didn’t have the Tkachuk/STL connection.

Might as well talk about acquiring the kid Utah just named their captain. Just as likely to happen IMO.

I think it's more likely Brady asks out of Ottawa than Utah making Keller available any time soon, but still not terribly likely. Regarding Matthew, the bigger challenge was moving Krug and/or Tarasenko to clear enough salary. Not sure what the actual offer would have been but the covid cap would have made it extremely complicated.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't wanna get too deep into it since we've already discussed this here but the way I see it both Tkachuk and Kyrou put up similar points but one is a dominant power forward while the other is a mostly one dimensional, nonphysical player.

I very much disagree that the gap between Brady and Kyrou can be accurately described using words like 'dominant' for one with 'one-dimensional' for the other. Brady might be physically dominant (I'd push back on that a bit) but I certainly would not describe his complete NHL game or him as a player overall as dominant. I think he is just as one dimensional as Kyrou. It is a completely different dimension, but his game is pretty far from complete.

Kyrou's speed is no less dominant than Tkachuk's physicality. It impacts the game in very different ways and both have large holes in the elements of the game that isn't their strengths. I don't think that Tkachuk's physicality positively impacts the game by a margin greater than Kyrou's speed. He pulls himself out of position chasing hits all the time. He's in position to intercept/interrupt passes far less than Kyrou.

Brady is a leader while Kyrou hasn't shown that kind of character up to this point. I feel he's more content to be a follower, albeit a very skilled one.

I get that Brady wears the C, but has he created a good culture in Ottawa with his leadership? Is it a sign of good leadership to get five 10 minute misconduct penalties a season? I get that a lack of team success isn't all on the leadership, but Tkachuk hasn't led the Sens to anything. That team has had major issues defending for years and he has continued to be a defensive liability. I don't think fans are particularly well suited to evaluate leadership and I think 'culture' is usually spin when discussing pro sports (good and bad). But there is a lot of talent in Ottawa's lineup and I think a lot of people would say that they have underachieved for the last few years.

All thing being equal, I'd take Brady over Kyrou. But I don't think the gap between them is all that wide and I wouldn't trade Kyrou for Brady 1 for 1 given their current contracts.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Leadership alone doesn't get a team into the playoffs. Even McDavid didn't get to the playoffs until he was If the Blues were in a division with Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto I doubt we'd fare any better than Ottawa. I guess I'm thinking more of his competitiveness and willingness to stick up for teammates.
Ottawa also finished behind Detroit and Buffalo last season. 78 points compared to our 92. And it isn't like Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and Nashville were pushovers at the top of the Central. Each of them had more points than their standings finish counterpart in the Atlantic. Even if you cite strength of schedule to say the Atlantic was the tougher division, it wasn't so much tougher that it accounted for 14 standings points.

They were 5 points up on us in 2022/23, but we both finished 6th in our respective divisions (they were behind Buffalo again).

In 2021/22 we made the playoffs (and 2nd round) while they finished 7th in the Atlantic with 73 points.

I really, really don't buy an argument that our results would have plummeted below what Ottawa has been doing if we swapped divisions. I agree with you that leadership can't just will a team to the playoffs, but I don't buy that the division is even most of Ottawa's problems. I don't think they'd have been good enough to make the playoffs in at least 3 of the 4 divisions every year. That team has major issues beyond simply being stuck in a good division.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think Ottawa and St. Louis are in the same situation. Both are expected to make a push for the playoffs. I think Ottawa has underperformed more than St. Louis over the past two years. But I can't see why they would trade Brady for JK, in the same way I can't see why I would trade JK for Brady. I think both teams would like to add the other's winger, but not 1:1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad