2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
And too a degree Army got him fired, too. When you have a coach with a particular style of play and philosophy he emphasizes and you hand him a roster than doesn't align with that, something has to give.

It was a collective effort, or lack thereof.
If he keeps trying to force round pegs into a square hole I'm sorry to break it to you but he's not much of a coach.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That 2019 draft could end the Blues impressive streak of finding NHL-caliber talent every year, year after year in the amateur draft. I’d be shocked if Alexandrov made it to 100 games played unless a team like San Jose or Chicago gave him a shot while buying their own draftees more development time.

The hopes of finding a 100-game player rest on a couple of goalies, Ellis and Zherenko. Don’t see either unseating Binner or Hofer in the next three years, though.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The hopes of finding a 100-game player rest on a couple of goalies, Ellis and Zherenko. Don’t see either unseating Binner or Hofer in the next three years, though.

That depends on development. I could see one of those goalies making someone else expendable or open up the availability. This is what happened with Huso.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
That 2019 draft could end the Blues impressive streak of finding NHL-caliber talent every year, year after year in the amateur draft. I’d be shocked if Alexandrov made it to 100 games played unless a team like San Jose or Chicago gave him a shot while buying their own draftees more development time.

Hopefully, the T-Birds' defense is better than average this season. I want to see how both Ellis and Zherenko perform behind a revamped roster. My money is on Ellis to take a bigger step than Zherenko.

Reactions: execwrite1

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet but it sounds like this is the first time he's talked as openly as he can about the situation while they are both still active in the league...disappointed and sad implies that he has regret...if you listen to the fans on this board who are adamant that Petro didn't want to be here then this description runs contrary to that opinion...I think Armstrong got in a dick swinging contest w/ Petro and his agent at the beginning of negotiations and the whole thing eventually unraveled over time. That's a logical takeaway. I would have regret too.

Sure Petro wanted to be here as long as he got everything he was asking for. The question is how badly did he want to be here? Obviously both sides could have conceded more than they did. Maybe Petro just let his agent handle it and wasn't even part of the day to day process.

Regardless, Petro alone wouldn't have kept our window open and he's not worth his contract anymore. Army's offer was fair but Vegas needed to up the ante to get him to accept.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That Buchnevich interview was awesome. I love the way he thinks about his career. Pretty amazing that they immediately agreed on a fair salary. But the biggest insights are the way the team pitched their view for the future of the Blues, the way he bought into it (showed confidence in Armstrong and Steen) and his personal responsibility to play better. I lots of guys have the talent to be pro hockey players, but never find the mental intensity to get there. Buchnevich, just in the way he discusses stuff like this shows an almost inhuman mental discipline and personal drive that is jarring. Next time I get a jersey, I'm getting his.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
That Buchnevich interview was awesome. I love the way he thinks about his career. Pretty amazing that they immediately agreed on a fair salary. But the biggest insights are the way the team pitched their view for the future of the Blues, the way he bought into it (showed confidence in Armstrong and Steen) and his personal responsibility to play better. I lots of guys have the talent to be pro hockey players, but never find the mental intensity to get there. Buchnevich, just in the way he discusses stuff like this shows an almost inhuman mental discipline and personal drive that is jarring. Next time I get a jersey, I'm getting his.

Can you imagine that? A player that says he wants to be here and then signs a fair contract and actually does it?

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
If he keeps trying to force round pegs into a square hole I'm sorry to break it to you but he's not much of a coach.
Perhaps, but there are a lot of coaches like that in all sports. Some do pretty well at it.

The other side of that coin is if you are a GM and you hire/retain/extend a coach with a rather rigid style and philosophy, you better be getting players that fit his system. Acquiring square pegs when you know the holes are round does not make a lot of sense, either.

If the GM and coach aren't on the same page, you get what we have had the last few years.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I know the Rangers were in a tough spot, but I still can’t believe it only took a 2nd and Blais to get him

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can you imagine that? A player that says he wants to be here and then signs a fair contract and actually does it?
Oh, I also love how the NTC was just something his agent negotiated that he doesn’t even care about. “If a team trades you, it’s for the best because it’s not good to be somewhere you aren’t wanted.”

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Oh, I also love how the NTC was just something his agent negotiated that he doesn’t even care about. “If a team trades you, it’s for the best because it’s not good to be somewhere you aren’t wanted.”
But he still controls where he goes so he has less to worry about. So saying things like it’s for the best becomes much easier.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

interesting to see creampuff is #9 on top salaries in the NHL. not worth it.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007

interesting to see creampuff is #9 on top salaries in the NHL. not worth it.

Singling out the guy who has 2 of the 4 Cup wins by the 10 top paid players this coming season is one way to do it... I guess if this was a one year deal in a vacuum maybe it isn't worth it, even if you only dock the real cap hit, but I doubt you'll find many Vegas fans crying about the contract...

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
did you move from Houston?
Soon. After living in Houston for the last 26 years (plus 4 for college a bit earlier), I'm moving to Nashville next month. We will be within walking distance from Bridgeport Arena (and also walking distance to Vandy, so I will be attending SEC football/basketball/baseball too).

Once we decided to move, we looked at which cities would meet our needs personally and professionally. Ultimately it came down to Nashville and Charlotte, and having an NHL team in town was actually a significant part of why we chose Nashville (along with live music scene). I want to be able to watch games in person, not just on TV. The Blues will always be my team, but it's fun when the local team wins so I'm a Preds fan now too.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Soon. After living in Houston for the last 26 years (plus 4 for college a bit earlier), I'm moving to Nashville next month. We will be within walking distance from Bridgepoint Arena (and also walking distance to Vandy, so I will be attending SEC football/basketball/baseball too).

Once we decided to move, we looked at which cities would meet our needs personally and professionally. Ultimately it came down to Nashville and Charlotte, and having an NHL team in town was actually a significant part of why we chose Nashville (along with live music scene). I want to be able to watch games in person, not just on TV. The Blues will always be my team, but it's fun when the local team wins so I'm a Preds fan now too.

I look forward to your new name of BluePred

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I bought a Blues ROR jersey to wear to games. I got a navy Preds hat I can pair it with. I'd like to eventually get a Preds jersey too, but I can't see myself wearing that much yellow.
You could get the Blues gold reverse retro (if you don’t have it already) that way you can blend in the sea of yellow but it looks better :badidea:

You’ll also have a growing college hockey scene as Tennessee State is gearing up for an inaugural 25-26 season for NCAA D1 hockey

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad