2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Is Dri even going to resign with them? Not sure why he would. This seems like their best shot to win a cup.
No.

The Oilers don’t have to take the entire time. They’ve told the players they’re heading to St. Louis per numerous sources. Friedman, Rishaug, Kypreoa and Strickland.
You forgot Jordan "The Scoop" Schmaltz!!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This isn't really a needle mover on this front. This is the type of move that will either work out or not and we'll likely only know it in a few years. Could he develop into a Forsling? Sure, I hope he does. Right now though, he's a 3rd pair defender who needs minutes and leash to make mistakes.
Only one team signed those guys to offer sheets. Any GM could have done it. It absolutely counts as a significant move for Armstrong to orchestrate.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Only one team signed those guys to offer sheets. Any GM could have done it. It absolutely counts as a significant move for Armstrong to orchestrate.

You can say the same thing about any free agent or trade. What ultimately matters is they become contributers at the NHL level. He took a flyer on guys with potential who have struggled so far. It's a pretty good gamble as there's nothing really lost here, but it doesn't materially change the quality of the roster right now.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
1. Dalibor Dvorsky (89.8%)
2. Jimmy Snuggerud (48.8%)
3. Theo Lindstein (73.1%)
4. Adam Jiricek (41.2%)
5. Zack Bolduc (65.2%)
6. Otto Stenberg (94.4%)
7. Juraj Pekarcik (35.5%)
8. Matt Kessel (58.8%)
9. Zach Dean (77.9%)
10. Vadim Zherenko (40.0%)
11. Lukas Fischer (39.3%)
12. Michael Buchinger (48.3%)
13. Colin Ralph (54.7%)
14. Quinton Burns (22.9%)
15. Ondrej Kos (24.4%)
16. Paul Fischer (27.3%)
17. Jakub Stancl (31.1%)
18. Nikita Susuyev (36.6%)
19. Aleksanteri Kaskimäki (36.4%)

If these are our top 19 prospects, hypothetically, where would you put Broberg and Holloway?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
4. Adam Jiricek (41.2%)
5. Zack Bolduc (65.2%)
6. Otto Stenberg (94.4%)
8. Matt Kessel (58.8%)
9. Zach Dean (77.9%)
13. Colin Ralph (54.7%)
15. Ondrej Kos (24.4%)
16. Paul Fischer (27.3%)
17. Jakub Stancl (31.1%)

If these are our top 19 prospects, hypothetically, where would you put Broberg and Holloway?

It's kind of a tough comparison since I haven't followed their development but I'd put Holloway after Stenberg. Broberg is in the group with Lindstein and Jiricek but tough to say who should be ahead of who. Jiricek might have the most raw ability, Lindstein the highest floor and Bro somewhere in between.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
4. Adam Jiricek (41.2%)
5. Zack Bolduc (65.2%)
6. Otto Stenberg (94.4%)
8. Matt Kessel (58.8%)
9. Zach Dean (77.9%)
13. Colin Ralph (54.7%)
15. Ondrej Kos (24.4%)
16. Paul Fischer (27.3%)
17. Jakub Stancl (31.1%)

I'd put Broberg between Jiricek and Bolduc. Holloway between Stenberg and Pekarcik.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I do have to give a shoutout to @stl76 who made an excellent point during the playoffs about how important Broberg was to the Oilers.

I didn’t disagree with it at all at the time, and now I agree with it even more. In fact I’ll take what he said one step further and say that he was their best player in the postseason. Yes, better than McDavid, and quite frankly it wasn’t that close.

• Haha
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I do have to give a shoutout to @stl76 who made an excellent point during the playoffs about how important Broberg was to the Oilers.

I didn’t disagree with it at all at the time, and now I agree with it even more. In fact I’ll take what he said one step further and say that he was their best player in the postseason. Yes, better than McDavid, and quite frankly it wasn’t that close.
Wow! So Broberg is the next Bobby Orr??!!!

• Wow

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Very, very, very excited to see how things shake out on the blue line during camp.

Barring trades, Parayko, Leddy, Faulk, and Broberg are locks to be in the healthy 6 man D group. The first 3 are no brainers and you don't give Broberg that offer sheet unless you intend to play him every night. Kessel seems like a safe bet to play a lot of games as the 3rd pair RD. He genuinely succeeded in his time here last season and he's the only righty in that group.

Suddenly you're down to just one lineup spot for Suter, Joseph, and Perunovich.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Very, very, very excited to see how things shake out on the blue line during camp.

Barring trades, Parayko, Leddy, Faulk, and Broberg are locks to be in the healthy 6 man D group. The first 3 are no brainers and you don't give Broberg that offer sheet unless you intend to play him every night. Kessel seems like a safe bet to play a lot of games as the 3rd pair RD. He genuinely succeeded in his time here last season and he's the only righty in that group.

That's a good situation.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
This has been the most fun offseason ever! I actually liked what the Oilers did to bolster their Cup chances with the signings of Arvidsson and J. Skinner and also trading for Savoie....and then Bowman happened. LOL

Oilers players better keep their heads on a swivel cuz the hunters are a comin'!!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I would put money down on Suter being in the top 4 on opening night

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Glad you’ve finally seen the light!

:teach:

…just wait until Paul Fischer wins his first Norris :sarcasm:

Barring injury, I’ll bet you a nickel it’s:

Leddy - Parayko
Suter - Faulk
Broberg - Kessel

At least to start the season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don't see it. He sure didn't look like a guy capable of that last season.
He played a #4 role for all 82 games on a very good team last year. I see no reason he can’t play 18-19 minutes a night for the Blues this year as we hopefully ease Broberg in to 2nd pairing minutes as the season goes on.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Sure, I don't think it's the sign of a healthy defense, but I have a hard time seeing Broberg coming in and winning a top 4 spot after struggling to stick in the NHL last season with similar competition for defensive spots. I think @stl76 has it spot on.
Wasn’t part of the reason Broberg struggled because he was tasked playing on his off hand similar to how Faulk was when he came to St. Louis?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You can say the same thing about any free agent or trade. What ultimately matters is they become contributers at the NHL level. He took a flyer on guys with potential who have struggled so far. It's a pretty good gamble as there's nothing really lost here, but it doesn't materially change the quality of the roster right now.

You seem to be desperately trying to downplay how good of a move this was by Armstrong.

IMO our top 6 D are going to be these pairings

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel

This will keep Suter relatively fresh for the playoffs which I fully believe we will be a part of.

I don't see it. He sure didn't look like a guy capable of that last season.
3rd pairing with Kessel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad