2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
VGK has a strong case for termination but out of the goodness in their hearts they will continue to pay Lehner? I don't believe this story.
Lehner is contractually obligated to show up for a physical before starting the season. So him not showing up is a direct violation of his contract. Vegas cannot put Lehner on LTIR without a physical. Without them moving to terminate his contract, they couldn't be compliant with the cap. They don't care about the money, so their offer was basically, we'll pay you but it doesn't count. NHLPA takes this as a huge win as they don't have a precedent on contract termination and their guy gets paid.

I'm gonna trade him to Winnipeg in my NHL 25 franchise mode when it comes out. Gonna trade him cheap too so he knows how I feel about this situation.
EA loves this.

• Haha
Reactions: missionAvs

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Lehner is contractually obligated to show up for a physical before starting the season. So him not showing up is a direct violation of his contract. Vegas cannot put Lehner on LTIR without a physical. Without them moving to terminate his contract, they couldn't be compliant with the cap. They don't care about the money, so their offer was basically, we'll pay you but it doesn't count. NHLPA takes this as a huge win as they don't have a precedent on contract termination and their guy gets paid.

EA loves this.
Is the NHL ok with such a large amount of money being outside the cap since Vegas seems to be fine eating the $5m in its entirety?

Not that we would ever expect KSE to do something like this, but just trying to understand if this could have any bearing on our situation with you know who.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is the NHL ok with such a large amount of money being outside the cap since Vegas seems to be fine eating the $5m in its entirety?

Not that we would ever expect KSE to do something like this, but just trying to understand if this could have any bearing on our situation with you know who.
It counts against the players' share, so it isn't outside the 50/50 split. Just doesn't hit the cap.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wonder if this sets a precedent moving forward, as I can't recall any other situation where a player gets paid but doesn't count against the cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wonder if this sets a precedent moving forward, as I can't recall any other situation where a player gets paid but doesn't count against the cap.
It could... but it takes a number of things falling in line to happen. A player that doesn't want to play. A team that is okay with paying the player fully. A violation of the contract to prompt termination. Then all parties agreeing on it. I can't see that happening too often.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
VGK has a strong case for termination but out of the goodness in their hearts they will continue to pay Lehner? I don't believe this story.

Their owner doesn't really care that much about costs, if nothing else they've proven that time and again. It's the cap hits that concern them.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Interesting. Wonder how they managed that?

Keep in mind that in addition to their yearly cap-dodging shenanigans, they also lobbied heavily for and got a very big pound of flesh from the Ottawa Senators for something that frankly, shouldn't have cost them more than a fine at most.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting. Wonder how they managed that?

Keep in mind that in addition to their yearly cap-dodging shenanigans, they also lobbied heavily for and got a very big pound of flesh from the Ottawa Senators for something that frankly, shouldn't have cost them more than a fine at most.
Seems pretty clear really... Lehner violated his contract where Vegas had grounds to terminate. So Vegas moved to terminate. The NHLPA wanting to avoid a termination and precedent, negotiated where Vegas simply offered up to pay the full amount... just not have it count against the cap. Then NHL and NHLPA agreed it would count as part of the 50% players' share. A series of steps, but not all that complex.

This (and RyJo) goes to show that contracts can be terminated for even pretty minor things. Whether that holds up or how it is negotiated is the real question.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I loathe Las Vegas as much as anyone but their player hasn't turned up and fulfilled his contract, why should they be liable for his cap hit?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I loathe Las Vegas as much as anyone but their player hasn't turned up and fulfilled his contract, why should they be liable for his cap hit?
Because ours has been caught twice with a nose full of Burger sugar and we still have to suffer the cap consequences, but this f***er misses one physical and now they get their cap space back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Because ours has been caught twice with a nose full of Burger sugar and we still have to suffer the cap consequences, but this f***er misses one physical and now they get their cap space back.
If Nuke doesn't show up for his physical in November, the Avs could move to terminate. They could move to terminate once he's out of the program anyway (they won't but could). What the negotiation ends up being is a completely different story. I can't see Stan footing the whole bill personally.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Seems pretty clear really... Lehner violated his contract where Vegas had grounds to terminate. So Vegas moved to terminate. The NHLPA wanting to avoid a termination and precedent, negotiated where Vegas simply offered up to pay the full amount... just not have it count against the cap. Then NHL and NHLPA agreed it would count as part of the 50% players' share. A series of steps, but not all that complex.

This (and RyJo) goes to show that contracts can be terminated for even pretty minor things. Whether that holds up or how it is negotiated is the real question.

I'm torn about this Lehner thing, in relation to Nuke's situation. I'm glad the NHL takes a generous view with the PAP. Hell, it appears that both Drouin and Girard came out with flying colors. So I like the compassion part. But the fact that Lehner's contract-voiding action was missing a physical while Nuke got caught 3 times with a failed drug test just bugs me. Cocaine is a freaking felony!

For the record, I seriously doubt Kroenke would foot the bill for Nuke's payroll, cap space or not.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We deal with his cap when he's here, and he's part of the league sanctioned process to deal with his personal problems (and is the reason for him being unavailable now). Lehner has been in the assistance program before and now he's not turned up for the team, and he's not doing anything with the program either.

If Nichushkin's suspension is over and he doesn't turn up in Colorado to start playing again we wouldn't have his cap hit, and in that situation we shouldn't.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If Nuke doesn't show up for his physical in November, the Avs could move to terminate. They could move to terminate once he's out of the program anyway (they won't but could). What the negotiation ends up being is a completely different story. I can't see Stan footing the whole bill personally.
Oh, he'll show up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad