2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Being brutally honest as a coach does not mean you don't care as a person. Work and life can be and most of the times are different than outside life. As a manager, you can be critical and honest about somebody's work, but also care as a person.

On Torts specifically. There are scores of players that will go to bat for Torts... even many of those that didn't like playing for him. Vinny absolutely hated playing for Torts, but speaks very highly of him today. MDZ famously didn't get along with Torts, but years later he praised him a ton. Most players rave about the quality of person Torts is. The Columbus leadership group basically begged him to coach them for another season

So where there's smoke... there's a media narrative about him because he's actively combative with the media.

Yeah they are not well setup to keep the team going. The move to grab Savoie (if he pans out), might turn out to be a savvy one. That's an ELC that might allow them to dump a guy and save 4-5m. They need another couple of those and the aging curve to not slap them in the face.
I've got a love/hate relationship with Torts and the closest I ever got to meeting him was chatting with AP about him briefly once. He's also written a couple of articles that went a lot deeper than most and really covered the man he is away from the rink, his work with horses and animal shelters primarily but overall his reporting always left the image of a man who cared tremendously. He also believed in his players (maybe over believed) and that's why he's such a stickler. He knows what they are capable of doing and he wants to hold them accountable to that. He does need to learn to accept that there are ebbs and flows and that it's okay to teach the group out of it, rather than hammering on each individual. I think this is where those who get burn out have it begin to set it. Those that realize he's truly doing it for his own good end up being leaders like the group in Columbus. Those that don't get burnt out and ask for a trade or await their first opportunity to sign elsewhere and take. I think a guy like Vinny...after he got Barry Melrose, followed up by Rick Tocchet and Guy Boucher probably was developing more and more respect for Torts over all those years and that's why although he hated him at the time he learned that he was absolute who and what he needed at the time and is now very vocally supportive of him. 20/20 man, it's never let me down once. I can see exactly where I f***ed up every time I look back at my life's history. Just a damn shame I've never had anything approaching 20/20 looking forward in real time.
great gesture by Cole. I still cant believe Johnny is gone, Still doesnt feel real.

I love it! The fact Cole he wore 13 early because Johnny was a hero is even more touching. It's bringing Caulfield's story full circle while giving the honor to Gaudreau.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
"Under a Canada-U.S. tax treaty, signing bonuses and other inducements for athletes, artists, actors and musicians get special treatment and are taxed at a low 15 per cent rate. But if all of the money paid to Tavares under the seven-year deal with the Leafs was treated as normal income, it would likely be taxed at the top marginal federal rate of 33 per cent, plus the provincial Ontario tax."

The case isn't resolved so the situation could change, but as of now it's a significant factor.
My understanding is the Tavares case only relates to the first year bonus (signing bonus). It was argued that at that time, Tavares was still a resident of the US, so the amount should have been subject to a 15% final withholding tax given that it was paid to a US resident and not a Canadian resident. Then he moved to Toronto, became a Canadian resident and the rest of the bonuses were taxed at the normal rate. This case isn't about global taxation of bonuses, its about taxation of the initial signing bonus that occurs in July, before the player moves from the US to Canada, if he goes from a US team to a Canadian team.

Reactions: PAZ

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Being brutally honest as a coach does not mean you don't care as a person. Work and life can be and most of the times are different than outside life. As a manager, you can be critical and honest about somebody's work, but also care as a person.

On Torts specifically. There are scores of players that will go to bat for Torts... even many of those that didn't like playing for him. Vinny absolutely hated playing for Torts, but speaks very highly of him today. MDZ famously didn't get along with Torts, but years later he praised him a ton. Most players rave about the quality of person Torts is. The Columbus leadership group basically begged him to coach them for another season

So where there's smoke... there's a media narrative about him because he's actively combative with the media.
I don't believe in extremes and I don't believe that the end justifies the means.
As I said, I don't really know Torts so I'm talking generalities here.
But I'm sure he wasn't a dick with everyone. So it isn't surprising that lots of players liked him. But it doesn't mean that the rest never happened either. People who reacted well to his style probably ended-up having a good relationship with him and liked him a lot.
Lots of people are praising Trump...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't believe in extremes and I don't believe that the end justifies the means.
But I'm sure he wasn't a dick with everyone. So it isn't surprising that lots of players liked him. But it doesn't mean that the rest never happened either. People who reacted well to his style probably ended-up having a good relationship with him and liked him a lot.

There are degrees to this stuff. While Torts is obviously a guy who doesn't hesitate to yell at his charges, I haven't yet heard that resorts to the verbal abuse that a guy like Bob Hartley regularly engaged in. And I don't recall him ever hitting players like Peter Laviolette or Bill Peters. And I also haven't heard of guys suffering mental and physical trauma years afterward like what Johan Franzen endured under Mike Babcock.

He's a dick, yes. But I don't believe he engages in abusive behavior. That's a line that should never be crossed.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
On one hand you're saying you're talking about generalities, then getting specific on those that praise him and tossing in a Trump comparison. I would encourage you to listen to interviews with players about him. Especially those like Vinny and MDZ who famously didn't get along with him.

Reactions: missionAvs

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Sounds about right I would say.
I think Hench is right that the media blew it out of proportion with Torts, because of his conflicts with them.
But I don't agree with portraying him as a victim and a caring and loving guy who is praised by a ton of ex-players either.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sounds about right I would say.
I think Hench is right that the media blew it out of proportion with Torts, because of his conflicts with them.
But I don't agree with portraying him as a victim and a caring and loving guy who is praised by a ton of ex-players either.
I don't think that's what he was saying. It's a cliche but a lot of his players have said he's "tough but fair." No one has ever accused him of being a teddy bear. He reserves that level of empathy for the dogs he's rescued over the years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think that's what he was saying. It's a cliche but a lot of his players have said he's "tough but fair." No one has ever accused him of being a teddy bear. He reserves that level of empathy for the dogs he's rescued over the years.
Yup... Torts is not an easy coach to play for. He's demanding and holds everyone accountable. He's also not above making examples out of players. His system is brutal and requires a ton of effort. His training camps are amongst the most difficult in the league. That does not make him a bad human being though. Pretty much every player who has played under him talks about the quality individual he is. Even the most recent public example of Kevin Hayes. They did not see eye to eye about hockey and how it should be played, but even Kevin will speak to the quality of person that Torts is. Vinny, when he played in Tampa famously hated him. Today when he's interviewed he says things like "5 years after he coached me, I realized he's the best coach I ever had." "He's the best person." "Torts is one of my biggest mentors, he always makes time for me." MDZ who also famously didn't get along with him "He would do anything for his players." Merzlikins raves about what Torts did for him as a person and what he did for all the Columbus players after their tragedy a few years ago, when he wasn't even the coach there anymore.

Torts is not a victim. He's simply portrayed as a bad guy all the time by the media, because he has a confrontational relationship with the media... that he's all too willing to play up. They shouldn't treat him with kid gloves or give him puff pieces because he doesn't deserve it from them. He is a very tough hockey coach to play for. He demands a lot, doesn't play favorites, and doesn't give a shit about contracts or letters... if anything he is too harsh on top players. He doesn't hold grudges (there's the old Dale Weise story there that is clear proof and the whole MDZ saga on the 2nd go round), he has great causes he's willing to put his time and money towards, he cares about his players and helping them through life, he actively tries to advance careers (he's a major reason MSL is coaching in the NHL... another player he didn't get along with initially). His actions are very clear. In a world where there is a lot of talk and PR only to find out years later some people are just terrible human beings... it is refreshing to have a person who is genuinely good, cares, and does good things... and doesn't give a single shit about parading it in public. Most people didn't even know of his charitable causes prior to Portzline (IIRC) going against Torts' wishes and putting a spotlight on it.

Fault him as a coach, believe the style is too old school, hate his system, hate how he is actively confrontational with the media... don't drag his humanity through the mud. Google Tortorella Liam Traynor if you want another example.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Looks like they just took the Sharts old 3rds and slapped a diagonal "UTAH" across it.

GWpDrCfXMAA4zVI.jpg

Reactions: UncleRisto

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Genuinely feels like the team got better just from moving cities and changing jerseys.
On top of that they actually did improve the roster.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We're certain to get an answer on the age ol question of "does ownership matter?" That org is about to have as drastic change as we have seen in recent times.
If nothing else, by the looks of things the players will enjoy coming to work a hell of a lot better than the shitshow in Phoenix at the end there.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Looks like they just took the Sharts old 3rds and slapped a diagonal "UTAH" across it.

GWpDrCfXMAA4zVI.jpg
It's actually the least generic thing they could've done (the most would've just spelling it out horizontally in a straight line).

Surprisingly I normally can't stand black and blue together but that's a nice, clean look. I sure hope once the name (I think we all know it's gonna be Yeti) gets announced, they come out with something awesome.

A lot of teams appear to have fixed their uniform issues. IMO the worst current uniform is the one worn by the current Stanley Cup champs, the Florida Panthers.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It seemed immediately the whole youth of Utah was behind Yeti... and let's be honest, that is who the name is supposed to appeal to.
Why? Why do you have to treat a professional sports team like their main audience are little kids? Because they are not. Not anywhere around the world. Or at least, not outside of North America.

There are other ways to get kids into the sport.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Why? Why do you have to treat a professional sports team like their main audience are little kids? Because they are not. Not anywhere around the world. Or at least, not outside of North America.

There are other ways to get kids into the sport.
In the US, it is pretty common for people to choose their favorite teams as kids and stick with them for life. Do what you can to have kids latch onto your team, and you build a lasting fanbase. Utah being one of the youngest states in the country and having tons of kids... you want to convert as many as you can into lifelong fans. A name they like and a cool logo does its part.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In the US, it is pretty common for people to choose their favorite teams as kids and stick with them for life. Do what you can to have kids latch onto your team, and you build a lasting fanbase. Utah being one of the youngest states in the country and having tons of kids... you want to convert as many as you can into lifelong fans. A name they like and a cool logo does its part.
Funny, how it can be done in other parts of the world without the team names being cringe. At least over here, kids get interested because they find the sport interesting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Funny, how it can be done in other parts of the world without the team names being cringe.
Different markets have different outcomes and preferences. What works in Sweden, Russia, Japan or China may not work in the US or vice versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad