2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Makes sense with Laine’s work ethic.
He did change for the better under Torts, and if you believe Blue Jackets fans Laine was actually one of the harder back checking forwards in the team.

Doesn't mean he would like Torts though. Easy Company got pretty good at soldiering under Cpt. Sobel (in Band of Brothers, if you are a poor soul and missing on that reference), and everyone hated him. Though for his defence, Torts also has his fans among players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He did change for the better under Torts, and if you believe Blue Jackets fans Laine was actually one of the harder back checking forwards in the team.

Doesn't mean he would like Torts though. Easy Company got pretty good at soldiering under Cpt. Sobel (in Band of Brothers, if you are a poor soul and missing on that reference), and everyone hated him. Though for his defence, Torts also has his fans among players.
Just because Laine tried harder under Torts doesn’t mean Laine enjoyed that.

Lots of players will run to defend Torts. He certainly runs some the wrong way, but most eventually figure out that he’s better for them and they come to appreciate it. Helps he’s also brutally honest, but still a good person that cares.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Just because Laine tried harder under Torts doesn’t mean Laine enjoyed that.

Lots of players will run to defend Torts. He certainly runs some the wrong way, but most eventually figure out that he’s better for them and they come to appreciate it. Helps he’s also brutally honest, but still a good person that cares.
I would argue that brutally honest and care don't go well together. Empathy is important and people who are brutally honest are often lacking in soft skills. Just because someone says the truth doesn't mean that its OK to say these things, in that way. A lot of bullies are truthful. They are still assholes...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Okay, does anyone have a link to a recent interview by Danny Briere, where he apparently talked shit about Matvei Michkov?
Huh? Every time I heard him talking about Michkov he had sparks in his eyes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would argue that brutally honest and care don't go well together. Empathy is important and people who are brutally honest are often lacking in soft skills. Just because someone says the truth doesn't mean that its OK to say these things, in that way. A lot of bullies are truthful. They are still assholes...
I would argue you're ignoring all the players that speak very highly of Torts, even those he didn't get along with for hockey reasons.

Reactions: missionAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A lot of people much prefer someone who's brutally honest and up front as opposed to someone who care more about feelings and comes off as disingenuous. I have mixed feelings about Torts, but one thing he maintains along with honesty is that he doesn't play favorites, doesn't matter if you're a star player or a 4th line scrub, you get treated equally.

Yeah, he's an asshole, but there are worse things.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Huberdeau is pretty awful too

As seen with the Tavares saga, I believe they do this to avoid Canadian taxes.

Huberdeau, Tavares, Matthews, Draisaitl...all playing in Canada.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As seen with the Tavares saga, I believe they do this to avoid Canadian taxes.

Huberdeau, Tavares, Matthews, Draisaitl...all playing in Canada.
Well, did they ever resolve that whole thing with Tavares? Because that should still be taxable income.

I think it has more to do with lockout AND buyout protection than it has to do with any sort of tax stuff, but it ain't like I'm an expert on these sorts of things.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's a combination of three things:

- signing bonus heavy contracts are more lockout proof
- singing bonus heavy contracts are harder to buy out
- signing bonus heavy contracts enable the players get more money on hand faster

I don't really see what Canadian taxes have to do with it, US teams do it too if you are a superstar player and the team owner isn't cheap:

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I would argue you're ignoring all the players that speak very highly of Torts, even those he didn't get along with for hockey reasons.
I wasn't specifically talking about Torts. I don't know much about him. Although when there's smoke there's fire...

A lot of people much prefer someone who's brutally honest and up front as opposed to someone who care more about feelings and comes off as disingenuous. I have mixed feelings about Torts, but one thing he maintains along with honesty is that he doesn't play favorites, doesn't matter if you're a star player or a 4th line scrub, you get treated equally.

Yeah, he's an asshole, but there are worse things.
That's a very good way to put it.
Just because someone has a nice quality, it doesn't men that he doesn't have the faults as well.
This is not a black or white thing.
Sounds like an honest asshole... but an asshole regardless.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A lot depends on the player too. Nikita Zadorov didn't do great under a player's coach like Jared Bednar, but he thrived under a taskmaster like Darryl Sutter. Seems like he did okay under Rick Tocchet too. Guess we'll see how he does in Boston and Monty.

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well, did they ever resolve that whole thing with Tavares? Because that should still be taxable income.
The Tavares camp is still fighting the CRA over it AFAIK.

I don't really see what Canadian taxes have to do with it

Players claim that signing bonuses werent earned while working in Canada and therefore arent taxable in Canada.

niskYkY.png

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers have to win next season. Otherwise in 25-26 they've got Draisaitl and Bouchard new contracts kicking in plus Skinner, Brown, and Emberson as UFAs.

Draisaitl and Bouchard alone will account for a likely 12M cap increase for them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Tavares camp is still fighting the CRA over it AFAIK.

Players claim that signing bonuses werent earned while working in Canada and therefore arent taxable in Canada.

niskYkY.png
Yeah sure, but players who have zero of these issues still want signing bonuses. Thus, it's not really a tax motivation. Do you hear a guy like Huberdeau or Marner fighting fith CRA? No, because they didn't try to exploit it. Yet still got signing bonuses.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's a combination of three things:

- signing bonus heavy contracts are more lockout proof
- singing bonus heavy contracts are harder to buy out
- signing bonus heavy contracts enable the players get more money on hand faster

I don't really see what Canadian taxes have to do with it, US teams do it too if you are a superstar player and the team owner isn't cheap:

"Under a Canada-U.S. tax treaty, signing bonuses and other inducements for athletes, artists, actors and musicians get special treatment and are taxed at a low 15 per cent rate. But if all of the money paid to Tavares under the seven-year deal with the Leafs was treated as normal income, it would likely be taxed at the top marginal federal rate of 33 per cent, plus the provincial Ontario tax."

The case isn't resolved so the situation could change, but as of now it's a significant factor.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The case isn't resolved so the situation could chan-ge, but as of now it's a significant factor.
Yet everyone else does it too (if they can) even though they are not affected by said treaty in any way. Because the advantages of signing bonuses are universal, and have nothing to do with Canadian tax laws.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wasn't specifically talking about Torts. I don't know much about him. Although when there's smoke there's fire...
Being brutally honest as a coach does not mean you don't care as a person. Work and life can be and most of the times are different than outside life. As a manager, you can be critical and honest about somebody's work, but also care as a person.

On Torts specifically. There are scores of players that will go to bat for Torts... even many of those that didn't like playing for him. Vinny absolutely hated playing for Torts, but speaks very highly of him today. MDZ famously didn't get along with Torts, but years later he praised him a ton. Most players rave about the quality of person Torts is. The Columbus leadership group basically begged him to coach them for another season

So where there's smoke... there's a media narrative about him because he's actively combative with the media.

The Oilers have to win next season. Otherwise in 25-26 they've got Draisaitl and Bouchard new contracts kicking in plus Skinner, Brown, and Emberson as UFAs.

Draisaitl and Bouchard alone will account for a likely 12M cap increase for them.

Yeah they are not well setup to keep the team going. The move to grab Savoie (if he pans out), might turn out to be a savvy one. That's an ELC that might allow them to dump a guy and save 4-5m. They need another couple of those and the aging curve to not slap them in the face.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yet everyone else does it too (if they can) even though they are not affected by said treaty in any way. Because the advantages of signing bonuses are universal, and have nothing to do with Canadian tax laws.
Bettman is screwing small market Canadian teams yet again.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Both can be true.

Yes, signing bonuses benefits are universal, but there are additional incentives for players in Canadian cities.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad