2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Torts era Jackets were a good team. They shouldn't have waited til the final season of Bob and Bread to push the chips into the middle. Since Torts, the wheels have fallen off.
And the wheels fell off because they decided to try and run it back even after those two talents left, in a season where Torts had to be convinced by Nick Foligno to return and, it turns out, at least two more stars wanted out.

IMO they won’t be able to fix the damage done, and the damage extends far beyond Jarmo’s stint as GM.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO they won’t be able to fix the damage done, and the damage extends far beyond Jarmo’s stint as GM.
Now that we've seen what happened with the Laine trade I have to agree.

Owner wants good results but refuses to help his GM. What could go wrong?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And the wheels fell off because they decided to try and run it back even after those two talents left, in a season where Torts had to be convinced by Nick Foligno to return and, it turns out, at least two more stars wanted out.

Now that we've seen what happened with the Laine trade I have to agree.

Owner wants good results but refuses to help his GM. What could go wrong?
It’s ownership more than anything else. Location doesn’t help (though players tend to like Columbus when there), but ownership hamstrings it all.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s ownership more than anything else. Location doesn’t help (though players tend to like Columbus when there), but ownership hamstrings it all.
Oh yeah, especially the whole thing about lowballing RFAs, which alienated a lot of players. Jarmo was the public face of that but ownership were the ones telling him to do that.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

That's actually funny as hell. Why would you move on from a guy that did that once? It's no different than Hejduk's post goal dive and swim. Yeah, you don't want them to do that all the time, but every once in a while when someone does something unexpected and funny you don't have to automatically label them a problem child and ship them out.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
For what it's worth, I don't think the "on ice antics" refers to that celebration or something similar. But rather that he's playing risky, and making it harder on his teammates in order for himself to look better. Challenging attackers 1-on-1 and that leading to a more dangerous chance etc. At least that's what some people were speculating.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
For what it's worth, I don't think the "on ice antics" refers to that celebration or something similar. But rather that he's playing risky, and making it harder on his teammates in order for himself to look better. Challenging attackers 1-on-1 and that leading to a more dangerous chance etc. At least that's what some people were speculating.
Antics is probably the wrong word to articulate that; you could use it loosely to describe foolish decisions but it does paint a picture of a clown.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Trotz always seemed anti-Russian/Eastern European when he was coaching, even if he's Ukrainian. Not that he hates Russians or others in general, but he was always outspoken when one of his Russian players did something stupid compared to NA players.

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The term "antics" has a negative connotation and I doubt it'd be used if it was just about playing style. Trotz is firing shots as Askarov heads out the door, which is fine after how things went down, but just don't be mad when Askarov responds in kind..

Reactions: dahrougem2

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

What have you heard they like. I have spent time in Columbus and find it lacking in services and frankly with few qualities to redeem it.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Oh yeah, especially the whole thing about lowballing RFAs, which alienated a lot of players. Jarmo was the public face of that but ownership were the ones telling him to do that.
They opened up the piggy bank for Johnny regular season. You can say all you want Columbus doesn't want to spend to win. But they're more than happy to spend big on a player you know you can't win with.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
A team should offer sheet Swayman. Anything under 9.16M is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd he’s easily worth that. Bruins have a bit over 8.5M in space they’d be forced to make a move.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
A team should offer sheet Swayman. Anything under 9.16M is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd he’s easily worth that. Bruins have a bit over 8.5M in space they’d be forced to make a move.

I wonder how many teams would even want to pay a goalie 9 mill nowadays. Swayman looks amazing but even if the Avs could make the space I'd want no part of that.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I wonder how many teams would even want to pay a goalie 9 mill nowadays. Swayman looks amazing but even if the Avs could make the space I'd want no part of that.
Detroit is a team that makes sense to me. Has the cap space, ready to take the next step, and no clear incumbent.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
They also have Seider and Raymond waiting on contracts along with 3 NHL goaltenders under contract.
hey fellas... someone should offer sheet Seider and Raymond ;)

side note - Talbot at 2 X 2.5M woof.
Talbot + Husso money would be nearly enough for Swayman. They would have enough if they signed Seider and Raymond both in the 7.5-8M range.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Utah could also afford Swayman. Could ship out Ingram or Vej and get something back too

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Detroit won't do that, Yzerman is betting on Sebastian Cossa to be The Man in the next year or two. I'm still curious as to whether him or Walstedt will be the better NHL goalie (my guess is Walstedt unfortunately).

Yzerman's run in Detroit has been a curious one so far. His last big move was to send away the one defenseman who paired well with Seider to make room for a Trouba trade that the player vetoed. Not even sure what they're trying to do there, and Yzerman also has the compounded issue of a coach he's clearly not on the same page with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
hey fellas... someone should offer sheet Seider and Raymond ;)

side note - Talbot at 2 X 2.5M woof.
Talbot + Husso money would be nearly enough for Swayman. They would have enough if they signed Seider and Raymond both in the 7.5-8M range.
These are the two that make sense. Seider is that unicorn big RD with physicality and can handle a lot of minutes... flashes of #1D ability too. Raymond is an imperfect player, but he screams core level top line winger. Neither of these guys are getting offers like that, and if you stay in the 1st + 2nd + 3rd level... they'll both be worth that trade for any team looking to be outside the top 10.

Detroit won't do that, Yzerman is betting on Sebastian Cossa to be The Man in the next year or two. I'm still curious as to whether him or Walstedt will be the better NHL goalie (my guess is Walstedt unfortunately).
Cossa was incredibly good down the stretch last season... only AHL goalie that was better was Levi. Issue being this was the first time in years Cossa has put it all together.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Yzerman's run in Detroit has been a curious one so far. His last big move was to send away the one defenseman who paired well with Seider to make room for a Trouba trade that the player vetoed. Not even sure what they're trying to do there, and Yzerman also has the compounded issue of a coach he's clearly not on the same page with.

Yzerman's rebuild is going to fail because he didn't get a chance to draft a real 1C the year he bottomed out. Larkin is a pretty good 1C, but not good enough to win a Cup with. As a 2C though, he would be absolutely elite. That team with Stutzle instead of Raymond has a massively different future outlook. And since he pushed so hard to rush to the playoffs after that, he isn't going to draft high enough to get another 1C again until it's too late.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yzerman's rebuild is going to fail because he didn't get a chance to draft a real 1C the year he bottomed out. Larkin is a pretty good 1C, but not good enough to win a Cup with. As a 2C though, he would be absolutely elite. That team with Stutzle instead of Raymond has a massively different future outlook. And since he pushed so hard to rush to the playoffs after that, he isn't going to draft high enough to get another 1C again until it's too late.
Detroit have a 2C. Detroit have the 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad