Prospect Info: [2024 - 130th] Tyler Thorpe (RW) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
small correction....Pezzeta played FOUR years in junior, and was shit for THREE
He was kind of shite for 4 if we want to be honest. 52 points in 62 games -16 and then only 2 points in 12 playoffs games as a 19 years old in junior is not very impressive.

Thorpe had 44 points in 51 games -9 as a 18 years old. It's already a better seaosn than Pazetta's best season. He's also bigger than Pazetta. We'll see what Thorpe will do as a 19 years old this season but so far he's ahead of where Pazetta was at the same age and he's also bigger.

Florian is also bigger than Pazetta and his 19 years old season was also better. 65 points ins 63 games +17 along with 5 points in 6 playoffs games.

Reactions: Expos94 and Sagikev

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Was he the pick they said he was not 100pct in hockey and player lacrosse quite a bit?
Making hockey his sport 100pct might also be a huge reason for improved. performence.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think he moves pretty well for a jumbo sized guy all told, he's not starting from zero in that department IMO. There's some hope there.

If it were 10 years ago but in today's NHL speed is so important unless you have some high end skill to overcome it. We'll see how it goes, at least he's not as a bad of a skater as Ben Merrill. But with any prospect if you get drafted and it's not a token draft pick in honor of a former scout that worked for you a long time, then there's always hope since prospects it's always about progress or lack of over many years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has a few years to develop his skating. We shall see

yes every prospect has years usually to work on things, that's why you rarely see me ever use the word bust as I know it's often a long process that can take many years. On the other hand I also know that most draft picks won't ever sniff the NHL for more then a cup of coffee so we need to be rational.

Some didn't like it when I said Mysak was a non prospect but it was clear as day if you are small, slower, not a very good skater and lack strength, you have a major hill to climb. Doesn't mean he can't do it, but until they start to show they can do those things that are holding them back much better it's better to call it as it is.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
yes every prospect has years usually to work on things, that's why you rarely see me ever use the word bust as I know it's often a long process that can take many years. On the other hand I also know that most draft picks won't ever sniff the NHL for more then a cup of coffee so we need to be rational.

Some didn't like it when I said Mysak was a non prospect but it was clear as day if you are small, slower, not a very good skater and lack strength, you have a major hill to climb. Doesn't mean he can't do it, but until they start to show they can do those things that are holding them back much better it's better to call it as it is.
For sure the stats are against Thorpe ever making it. He is a project through and through. It will be fun to watch though!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For sure the stats are against Thorpe ever making it. He is a project through and through. It will be fun to watch though!

I don't look at stats much, but the odds of anyone making it to the NHL full time (say 200 NHL games played in career) when picked outside the 1st round is shockingly bad so the easy way to look at it is assume every pick is a bust until it isn't.

My favorite though is when people tell me they looked at the stats of Danault and then compared them to a prospect and said he will be this or that. Like what does looking up one prospects stats have to do with the price of tea in boston? I say look with your eyes and nothing else, keep out emotions and just be fair and objective to what you see.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't look at stats much, but the odds of anyone making it to the NHL full time (say 200 NHL games played in career) when picked outside the 1st round is shockingly bad so the easy way to look at it is assume every pick is a bust until it isn't.

My favorite though is when people tell me they looked at the stats of Danault and then compared them to a prospect and said he will be this or that. Like what does looking up one prospects stats have to do with the price of tea in boston? I say look with your eyes and nothing else, keep out emotions and just be fair and objective to what you see.
Bad choice of words...I should have used odds instead of stats. Not many mid round picks make it.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
His positioning and shot are really good and we drafted him this year. In two years we might have something very special here. If he works on his speed and uses his body more who knows.

Reactions: NewDef

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Reminds me of Justin Brazeau. Could score at will in juniors, will earn himself a contract and with hard work and dedication may be able to make it as a role player despites the skating issues. With the size, shot and incoming junior dominance ( I expect at least 35 goals+ this season if healthy), Thorpe was going to earn a contract somewhere anyway. I'm glad we picked him in the 5th round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad