Prospect Info: [2024 - 130th] Tyler Thorpe (RW) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If the D and goaltending is so bad, then why were they involved in what, 30ish one goal games last year? While missing Dach and others for periods of time. I don’t see the Ducks or Sharks being better either. You’re going to be very, very surprised. Which is good!
People bringing up the 1 goal games thing reminds me of that line in The Mighty Ducks

Gordon Bombay "an inch to the right and I would have scored"

Charlie Conway "yeah but an inch to the left and you would have missed completely"

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
People bringing up the 1 goal games thing reminds me of that line in The Mighty Ducks

Gordon Bombay "an inch to the right and I would have scored"

Charlie Conway "yeah but an inch to the left and you would have missed completely"
When you have a bottom 5 team with a ton of injuries and you played that many one goal games, I think it’s significant. Especially when criticizing the D and goaltending. The top 6 is significantly better than last year (arguably, all forward lines are better). Given the slim point difference between 5th and 12th last, I’d say a point here and there is quite significant.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
When you have a bottom 5 team with a ton of injuries and you played that many one goal games, I think it’s significant. Especially when criticizing the D and goaltending. The top 6 is significantly better than last year (arguably, all forward lines are better). Given the slim point difference between 5th and 12th last, I’d say a point here and there is quite significant.
Sure but those 1 goal losses were just as likely to swing to 2 goal losses and then we wouldn't even pick up a loser point.

We had the least regulation wins in the Eastern Conference last year, 3rd lowest in the league. We had the most overtime games in the season last year, and we picked up 16 loser points.

Now that I think about it - 30ish 1 goal games seems like it can be easily explained by the fact that we played 26 overtime games last season.

For context we were:

20-36 in regulation

10-16 in OT/SO

Reactions: NewDef

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Sure but those 1 goal losses were just as likely to swing to 2 goal losses and then we wouldn't even pick up a loser point.

We had the least regulation wins in the Eastern Conference last year, 3rd lowest in the league. We had the most overtime games in the season last year, and we picked up 16 loser points.

Now that I think about it - 30ish 1 goal games seems like it can be easily explained by the fact that we played 26 overtime games last season.

For context we were:

20-36 in regulation

10-16 in OT/SO
Let’s put the current lineup in the same one goal situations. We’re probably sniffing at a playoff spot. Not to mention, some/most of those games are now won in regulation. That’s my original point. Someone was saying they expect another bottom 5 finish and I was arguing against that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Let’s put the current lineup in the same one goal situations. We’re probably sniffing at a playoff spot. Not to mention, some/most of those games are now won in regulation. That’s my original point. Someone was saying they expect another bottom 5 finish and I was arguing against that.
A bottom 5 finish ain't happening moving forward, agreed.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

For context we were:

20-36 in regulation

10-16 in OT/SO
I'd be curious how team did in second half fof these figures. Team was awful to start the season for regulation wins.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
As I have previously posted, after watching Florian last year, I think many people here, due to his name and size, have not surprisingly, miscast Florian as bottom six forward. This kid has superior skating and offensive skills. His offensive vision allowed him to be an important cog (playing the right point/half-boards) on the Bulldogs' power play. This is not your usual 4th line grinder. As he showed at the recent development camp, his future success in the NHL will rest on his hockey skills and not his supposed physical prowess. While it is highly doubtful that Florian makes the team out of training camp, I think if he can repeat his level of play at Laval at the end of last season (where he was very effective) he will be the first call up if injuries strike. This was a great 4th round pick. The type of intuitive pick that can materially alter your team's depth and talent level.
Xhekaj seems quite comfortable handling the puck at pace moving through traffic in the neutral zone. A lot of things have to be working well in order for a player to demonstrate that consistently, so it also seems to me that there's a lot of potential for this player to be eventually playing higher up in the lineup. His shot also looks like a strength in his game. I'm very excited to see what he shows in training camp.

I'm curious how Thorpe develops. He seems to have some promising qualities too.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Xhekaj seems quite comfortable handling the puck at pace moving through traffic in the neutral zone. A lot of things have to be working well in order for a player to demonstrate that consistently, so it also seems to me that there's a lot of potential for this player to be eventually playing higher up in the lineup. His shot also looks like a strength in his game. I'm very excited to see what he shows in training camp.

I'm curious how Thorpe develops. He seems to have some promising qualities too.
The big difference at this stage between the two players is their comparative skating abilities. While no plug, Thorpe lacks Florian’s straight forward speed. Hopefully he will add that element and when you add Thorpe to the potential that Florian, Tuch and Sawyer offer, one can start to see the makings of a large, mobile group of forwards that will change the dynamics of this team in a few years.

With Demidov and Hage knocking on the door and Hughes having 3 first rounders and 4 second rounders over the next two years, this could get very interesting.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
If I were Florian, I’d be working on my 200 ft game and forechecking. He could also slot in on the 4th.

Health, more scoring, more experience, better PP. no way they’re drafting top 5 again. I think the difference between 5 and 10 last year was, what? 8-10 points? That’s easily made up.
I have hopes Florian will be part of a solid 3rd line... He's like a Slaf lite. Worse case 4th line but his ceiling is a big unknown and he may well push someone out of the 2nd line after a few years in the league. It took time for Tage Thompson, we gotta be patient with the big boys with skills.

Roy - Kapanen - Florian would be a hell of a 3rd line if all pans out.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

For context we were:

20-36 in regulation

10-16 in OT/SO
One can look at those loser points as showing the team was in those games and that with a little bit improvement from maturation may turn a loser point to a win in the future.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
As I have previously posted, after watching Florian last year, I think many people here, due to his name and size, have not surprisingly, miscast Florian as bottom six forward. This kid has superior skating and offensive skills. His offensive vision allowed him to be an important cog (playing the right point/half-boards) on the Bulldogs' power play. This is not your usual 4th line grinder. As he showed at the recent development camp, his future success in the NHL will rest on his hockey skills and not his supposed physical prowess. While it is highly doubtful that Florian makes the team out of training camp, I think if he can repeat his level of play at Laval at the end of last season (where he was very effective) he will be the first call up if injuries strike. This was a great 4th round pick. The type of intuitive pick that can materially alter your team's depth and talent level.
Look like he can be more than 4th line but If he ends up on the 4th this means our team is stacked big time and that 4th line would in effect be a physical 3rd line that contributes. If all lines are dangerous, we could be a perenial contender. I'd be fine with that ;)

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Look like he can be more than 4th line but If he ends up on the 4th this means our team is stacked big time and that 4th line would in effect be a physical 3rd line that contributes. If all lines are dangerous, we could be a perenial contender. I'd be fine with that ;)
Times are changing, and they are changing fast. There's a new power rising in the east and they are wearing red, white and blue.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Florian Xhekaj is a better version of Michael Pezzetta. He was 19 in junior last year, a point per game is nothing to be very excited about. He is bottom-6 stuff at best, which would be great for a 4th round pick.
Xhekaj was in his second OHL season and only played on a scoring line last season. Pezzetta played 5 years in junior and was shit for 4. Developing late and putting up good numbers after mediocre seasons because you are 4 years older than most players have NOTHING in common.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Well especially that he had a huge growth spurt the summer before and may have had a slow start due to getting accustomed to his body. 6'4 with a mean streak with a scoring touch can't be faked. As good as Pezz story is, a Florian at maturity will hold his own better and will absolutely not be a punching bag.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I suspect that is HUGOs vision. Four lines that can all play. I suspect our prospect pool will be really deep and Laval will be competitive as Hell

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Xhekaj was in his second OHL season and only played on a scoring line last season. Pezzetta played 5 years in junior and was shit for 4. Developing late and putting up good numbers after mediocre seasons because you are 4 years older than most players have NOTHING in common.

small correction....Pezzeta played FOUR years in junior, and was shit for THREE

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Be good in playoffs especially. Game seems to value them more then. Last few Finals team had big heavy bluelines. Us in '21, Chiarot, Edmunston, Weber. They had more value then.
Don’t forget Petry in that as well. 6’3” 225. We had a huge blue line that year. Looks like our future blue line will be the same

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
last name checks out
1725979821286.png

Anything with Thorpe and I'm a fan
Do I have to explain who Ogie Ogilthorpe and Bill Goldthorpe are for the young punks here? Will they get the connection? @OldCraig71 we may need you in this thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad