Prospect Info: [2024 - 102nd] Owen Protz (LD) - Brantford Bulldogs (OHL)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Xhekaj is aggressive, will fight, but is more offensively inclined. Protz is more defensive, won't ever be known for his offensive instincts, but damn he likes to hit, still don't think he fights that often, nor won't in the future. They just don't play the same style at all, won't have the same impact, I see Xhekaj more like Souray was before he understood how to produce, while some pointed Protz being like Emelin, which isn't a bad comparison at all if Protz learns to skate better.

IF Protz makes it while Xhekaj is still there, could see a case to be made for both on the team at the same time (depending on a shitload of factors, of course)
Yeah I was more talking about
As a #3LD.

Guhle and Hutson will have the top4 LD spots for the next 10 years.

If Xhekaj's 'style' don't cut it as the 3LD were all hoping for
This kid is the insurance, since he will 'never' be fighting for a top4 LD spot here

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Yeah I was more talking about
As a #3LD.

Guhle and Hutson will have the top4 LD spots for the next 10 years.

If Xhekaj's 'style' don't cut it as the 3LD were all hoping for
This kid is the insurance, since he will 'never' be fighting for a top4 LD spot here

I wasn't sure what you were meaning, but yeah, there's only one 3LD spot, and yeah, Protz probably won't ever be more than that if he makes it, unless one of them would adapt on the right side, but that's a big if.

Reactions: Redux91

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
The funny thing about this guy is he played for the Wolves, I went to lots of Wolves games this year and cannot remember him at all. He must have really found his stride with Brantford.

Reactions: Tyson

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

He seems like a cross between Gorges and Murray, or just a smaller Murray. Loves to hit, seems solid as can be, but all he can do is basic plays. Literally knock pucks to the corner and off the glass, which isn't a bad thing, but doesn't seem like he's got much skill in him at all.

Also, hate, or what, but Grant, or at least someone working for him puts in the work for videos like this.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The funny thing about this guy is he played for the Wolves, I went to lots of Wolves games this year and cannot remember him at all. He must have really found his stride with Brantford.
He got really limited ice time in Sudbury, he was pretty buried in the depth chart. He was playing 20 minutes a game in Brantford, pretty much right away, so he had a lot more opportunities there.

He seems like a cross between Gorges and Murray, or just a smaller Murray. Loves to hit, seems solid as can be, but all he can do is basic plays. Literally knock pucks to the corner and off the glass, which isn't a bad thing, but doesn't seem like he's got much skill in him at all.

Also, hate, or what, but Grant, or at least someone working for him puts in the work for videos like this.

He's definitely a defense first type, don't expect anything too fancy out of him with the puck, pretty much ever. I've seen him enough to feel confident about his ability to do the basic stuff though, he can get the puck where it needs to go and he's a solid all around skater, so he can minimize the damage most of the time when he does mess up. Romanov is my comp for him, I can really see it.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

One thing he'll need to improve is he often stop playing after a hit. At the NHL you can't stop playing to admire the result of your hit.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Watching/following Florian Xhekaj's development I watched quite a few Bulldogs' games last year. While watching Protz play in that process I didn't notice anything that shouted future NHL defenceman about the then draft eligible player. That being said, watching the video of the Canadiens' development camp last month provided me with greater optimism as to Protz's upside. He was, in this writer's opinion, one of the most active (if not the most active) defenceman on the ice. Protz showed that in at least a largely non-contact environment, he had the mobility and offensive vision to be noticeable among his peers. I even saw a little of Struble's game in Protz's play and I loved his attitude and how he spoke to the hovering, ever present press.

As I have noted in the past, there is nothing more certain in hockey than the uncertainty of a young player's rate of development. I will be watching Protz this year with great interest. I have a feeling that he has more potential than many here have and are currently giving him. Including this writer.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Watching/following Florian Xhekaj's development I watched quite a few Bulldogs' games last year. While watching Protz play in that process I didn't notice anything that shouted future NHL defenceman about the then draft eligible player. That being said, watching the video of the Canadiens' development camp last month provided me with greater optimism as to Protz's upside. He was, in this writer's opinion, one of the most active (if not the most active) defenceman on the ice. Protz showed that in at least a largely non-contact environment, he had the mobility and offensive vision to be noticeable among his peers. I even saw a little of Struble's game in Protz's play and I loved his attitude and how he spoke to the hovering, ever present press.

As I have noted in the past, there is nothing more certain in hockey than the uncertainty of a young player's rate of development. I will be watching Protz this year with great interest. I have a feeling that he has more potential than many here have and are currently giving him. Including this writer.
Struble is the first player I thought of, when I first learned about Protz. When I watched Struble in college. He never really did anything to stand out for me. So I couldn't understand why some of our prospect guru's were so high on him. It wasn't until I saw him in Laval, and later with the Habs. That he did a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. Making smart, low risk plays. Using his strength to keep opposing players out of the crease. Taking his man against the boards, eliminating them from the cycle. Hitting players and usually not taking himself out of the play.

Plays that most defensemen should make, but he was doing it on a consistent basis. Not saying that Protz will be the next Struble. But I"m seeing a lot of similarities. Which is why I"m quite curious to see how his development goes.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Struble is the first player I thought of, when I first learned about Protz. When I watched Struble in college. He never really did anything to stand out for me. So I couldn't understand why some of our prospect guru's were so high on him. It wasn't until I saw him in Laval, and later with the Habs. That he did a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. Making smart, low risk plays. Using his strength to keep opposing players out of the crease. Taking his man against the boards, eliminating them from the cycle. Hitting players and usually not taking himself out of the play.

Plays that most defensemen should make, but he was doing it on a consistent basis. Not saying that Protz will be the next Struble. But I"m seeing a lot of similarities. Which is why I"m quite curious to see how his development goes.
Struble in his first two years in the NCAA had shown more than a few flashes of some solid offensive acumen. For whatever reason that stagnated in his junior/senior years.

When I saw that, I thought there was little hope for him. I think a few people watching him were growing pretty chuffed with his defensive game if I remember correctly while his offense was declining.

Love that he’s recapturing that initial hype. Can’t wait to see what he does this year

I don’t care, I loved Crankshaft. Maybe he becomes our 7th D. Sounds like a potentially great option there

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Struble in his first two years in the NCAA had shown more than a few flashes of some solid offensive acumen. For whatever reason that stagnated in his junior/senior years.

When I saw that, I thought there was little hope for him. I think a few people watching him were growing pretty chuffed with his defensive game if I remember correctly while his offense was declining.

Love that he’s recapturing that initial hype. Can’t wait to see what he does this year

I don’t care, I loved Crankshaft. Maybe he becomes our 7th D. Sounds like a potentially great option there
I'll admit I didn't see any of Struble for his first couple of years. It wasn't until I had heard/read some of you talking highly of him. That I decided to watch as much video as possible. Now I wish I would have watched him from the beginning.

I actually thought the same. I didn't see anything special, maybe a player that would be solid for Laval. But that was about it.

Me too, he's one of my favourite young players. I think he gets a little underrated.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

His stats look like another Fairbrother.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'll admit I didn't see any of Struble for his first couple of years. It wasn't until I had heard/read some of you talking highly of him. That I decided to watch as much video as possible. Now I wish I would have watched him from the beginning.

I actually thought the same. I didn't see anything special, maybe a player that would be solid for Laval. But that was about it.

Me too, he's one of my favourite young players. I think he gets a little underrated.
I always thought struble can become an imposing defensive d men, however last years he showed some flashes on offense that make me think there is more

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

He's mean as fook.

His puck handling needs work though.

Reactions: Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium