2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Sabres are in their like 10th year of their rebuild and are just as far from the cup as ever before.

Oilers are done rebuilding and are still unlikely to win anything despite having a generational talent and a top 5 player on their team.

The Blackhawks and Penguins got plenty of luck to help them get to where they were durning their 3 cups.

Ducks plan of continued losing is an incredibly dangerous one that could set the franchise back many years.

That’s dramatic. What plan of continued losing lol? Under GMBM there was never a plan of losing, so you’re talking approximately a season and a half.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
That’s dramatic. What plan of continued losing lol? Under GMBM there was never a plan of losing, so you’re talking approximately a season and a half.
Ducks couldn't possibly be trying to win in any of the season Eakins was the coach, outside of Eakins being a coach that could have a losing season with the 80's Oilers they also gave him a pretty poor roster.

In 2019, they're biggest off season add was Erik Gudbranson.

2019-2022 is 3 years of pure trash and it doesn't look to be getting better anytime soon.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ducks couldn't possibly be trying to win in any of the season Eakins was the coach, outside of Eakins being a coach that could have a losing season with the 80's Oilers they also gave him a pretty poor roster.

In 2019, they're biggest off season add was Erik Gudbranson.

2019-2022 is 3 years of pure trash and it doesn't look to be getting better anytime soon.

Gudbranson was an in-season addition on Oct 25, 2019. First Ducks game of 2019-20 season was Oct. 3, 2019. The trade was prompted when Manson got hurt and was seen on crutches after the Dallas game on Oct 24, 2019.

The biggest off-season 2019 addition was probably the trade for Des. GM Murray used a 2020 fourth round pick to pry Des away from the Habs.

2019 off-season marked the end/loss of RW Perry, C Kelser, and winger Eaves for good with Anaheim. Perry was bought out. Kesler and Eaves would never set foot on ice again due to their injuries.

2021-22 wasn't all pure trash. It was pure trash when the TDL came around.

Ducks 2021-22
Game SetGPWLOTLPts.GFGAGD
Total8231371476232271-39
Gm 1 - 33
(healthy)
Gm 34 - 62
(not healthy)
29101632376106-30
Gm 63 - 82
(TDL)
204124125274-22

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
If we finish dead last, then we've secured a top-3 pick.

• Scenario 1: Win the lottery, a 25.5% chance to happen.
    • Draft Bedard.

• We just found McTavish's an explosive, scoring winger. Zegras stays at center.

• Line 1: xxx - Zegras - Terry

• Line 2: xxx - McTavish - Bedard

• Scenario 2: Fall to 2nd overall, a 13.5% chance to happen.
    • Draft Fantilli.

• We just found our new top-6 center. Zegras will move to LW.

• Line 1: xxx - McTavish - Terry

• Line 2: Zegras - Fantilli - xxx

• Scenario 3: Fall to 3rd overall, an 11.5% chance to happen.
    • Draft Carlsson.

• We just found our new top-6 center. Zegras will move to LW.

• Line 1: xxx - McTavish - Terry

• Line 2: Zegras - Carlsson - xxx

Bedard is considered a generational talent, but he will be doing it as a winger in the NHL level. He has chemistry with McTavish as they've always roomed together at WJC functions. Fantilli is tearing up the NCAA, which is playing against 18-24 year olds. Carlsson is thriving in the SHL, a top tier men's league in Sweden.

With the 2023 pick, we're adding finishing touches to the talent that we already have and are developing. Going forward, the Ducks will have four top-6 forwards of very good to great talents. We already know Terry and Z can score points in the NHL level. McTavish is around 0.50 ppg rate and getting better within the season.

Potential Top-6 forward prospects in system
    LW Regenda​
    RW Perreault​
    LW Tracey​
    RW Pastujov​
    RW Colangelo​

Defensive prospects + Drysdale
    RD Drysdale (NHL) ... OFD​
    .​
    RD Andersson (AHL) ... 2WD​
    RD Helleson (AHL) ... DFD​
    .​
    LD/RD LaCombe (NCAA, senior) ... 2WD​
    LD Thrun (NCAA, senior) ... 2WD​
    RD Moore (NCAA, soph) ... 2WD​
    LD/RD Zellweger (CHL) ... OFD​
    LD Hinds (CHL) ... 2WD​
    LD Mintyukov ... OFD​
    RD Warren ... DFD​
    RD Luneau ... 2WD​

We're waiting and banking on some of the defensive prospects to pan out. Unfortunately, Drysdale is injured for the season this year and hampers what we have going forward with respect to known NHL development.

At the end of this season or start of next season, we could have five of those defensive prospects going pro in LaCombe, Thrun, Zellweger, Hinds, and Mintyukov.
No to nitpick, but for the sake of accuracy.

Scenario 1 is a 25.5% likely, 2 is 18.8% likely, and 3 is 55.7% likely.

Per Tankathon

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
bt7-tank.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Man, we need to do something about the CHI situation. How can we get them back on the winning track?
Can we start a petition to improve their team, get it viral, and get Chicagoans to put pressure on mgmt? :laugh:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Jeez how about showing a little patience? Guys acting like we're Buffalo. We have great young guys developing, a bunch of exciting prospects on their way, and any of the top 4 in this draft is going to be incredible.
I don't have patience for policies and methods I disagree with. Imo PV has treated this team like a video game. I have never been part of the Tank to win crowd and never will.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I hate tanking but it’s inevitable with this roster and this draft is the year to tank. I just wish they scored more goals.
Yeah, unfortunately if you dont have the core to build around you have to tank until you do. Some teams draft well and get lucky which expedites, others mess up picks and make bad moves and get stuck there for awhile but at the end of the day if you are a near bottom of the league team it is almost required to build through the draft. Luckily for the ducks we draft really well and have some amazing talent in the system. We should be able to project this team to a playoff team with a new coach and a few FAs in a few years.

I just dont understand how people think there is another path other than tanking for elite talent in the draft unless you get extremely lucky and land a Kucherov.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yeah, unfortunately if you dont have the core to build around you have to tank until you do. Some teams draft well and get lucky which expedites, others mess up picks and make bad moves and get stuck there for awhile but at the end of the day if you are a near bottom of the league team it is almost required to build through the draft. Luckily for the ducks we draft really well and have some amazing talent in the system. We should be able to project this team to a playoff team with a new coach and a few FAs in a few years.

I just dont understand how people think there is another path other than tanking for elite talent in the draft unless you get extremely lucky and land a Kucherov.
Define elite because I had thought we had already drafted them. Seems like we're more discussing generational types than Elite.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Define elite because I had thought we had already drafted them. Seems like we're more discussing generational types than Elite.
I would say most teams that are in that conversation for winning a cup have like 2 guys in the top 25 in the league and another 2 in the top 50 with good depth and goaltending.

Avs had McKinnon and Makar in the top 10 with Rantanen probably near 25 and then a bunch of really solid pieces.
Lightning had Kucherov and Hedman in the top 10, Point probably top 25 and great play from Stamkos and Sergachev plus great depth
Blues had RoR and Pietrangelo playing at a really high level and Schwartz, Tarasenko, Perron, Parayko. They were led by size and toughness.

Id say a general rule of thumb is the more toughness you have throughout the lineup the less talent you need.

Now if we project out 5 years I would say

Top 25 - Zegras maybe Terry
Top 50 - Mctavish, maybe Drysdale, maybe Mintyukov
Depth - I think we have the quantity of prospects to be fine here
Toughness - Seriously lacking

Lot's of guesses there and this is super hard to project but I do think if we want to be a cup contender we need another super high-end guy like Bedard or Fantili and then a lot more toughness. New coaching is clearly a must as well.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Sabres are in their like 10th year of their rebuild and are just as far from the cup as ever before.

Oilers are done rebuilding and are still unlikely to win anything despite having a generational talent and a top 5 player on their team.

The Blackhawks and Penguins got plenty of luck to help them get to where they were durning their 3 cups.

Ducks plan of continued losing is an incredibly dangerous one that could set the franchise back many years.
This statement about the Sabres is FALSE.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I would say most teams that are in that conversation for winning a cup have like 2 guys in the top 25 in the league and another 2 in the top 50 with good depth and goaltending.

Avs had McKinnon and Makar in the top 10 with Rantanen probably near 25 and then a bunch of really solid pieces.
Lightning had Kucherov and Hedman in the top 10, Point probably top 25 and great play from Stamkos and Sergachev plus great depth
Blues had RoR and Pietrangelo playing at a really high level and Schwartz, Tarasenko, Perron, Parayko. They were led by size and toughness.

Id say a general rule of thumb is the more toughness you have throughout the lineup the less talent you need.

Now if we project out 5 years I would say

Top 25 - Zegras maybe Terry
Top 50 - Mctavish, maybe Drysdale, maybe Mintyukov
Depth - I think we have the quantity of prospects to be fine here
Toughness - Seriously lacking

Lot's of guesses there and this is super hard to project but I do think if we want to be a cup contender we need another super high-end guy like Bedard or Fantili and then a lot more toughness. New coaching is clearly a must as well.
I’d argue McTavish and Terry could very well both be more impactful players then Zegras.

I think Zegras has to much talent and IQ to not be top 25 but I could easily still see the other 2 being better hockey players perfectly built to compliment Z.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
There have been players who were even more entertaining than they were effective. I think Denis Savard was one of them. Zegs could be in that mold but too early to say for sure.

Tony O

May 31, 2011
don't worry. we'll fall in the lottery like always
Let me put my tinfoil hat on tight, but I don't see the league ever letting us get the first overall. Bedard going to the Blackhawks would means millions of dollars more for the league.

Reactions: Duckcluck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad