2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Why should 33 year old Henrique give a f*** about the franchise lol… the guy is playing for his next contract
Which is why we should have traded him when he had the value. Gain the assets and move on.

But in all reality, our goaltending has probably been the biggest factor in earning loser points. They’ve been really good in a lot of games, including the last two games.

I don’t want to see players quit. But this year our management might have gained assets by moving “tank up setters”.

I hate everything about this season we need a top three pick but I want the guys to keep playing hard.
Like a dog chasing it’s tail

Reactions: Terry Yake

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Because they're trying to finish the value of losing specific games, and that would increase it
sorry, i didn't mean to include a question mark there. my post is just saying i think we should only have the bottom 5 teams have a chance at winning the lottery.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Which is why we should have traded him when he had the value. Gain the assets and move on.

But in all reality, our goaltending has probably been the biggest factor in earning loser points. They’ve been really good in a lot of games, including the last two games.

I don’t want to see players quit. But this year our management might have gained assets by moving “tank up setters”.

I hate everything about this season we need a top three pick but I want the guys to keep playing hard.
gibson playing out of his mind a few months ago really messed things up

that carolina game immediately comes to mind

Reactions: pbgoalie

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

I think his injury right at the TDL being longer term might have scared a lot of teams off and tanked his value

Reactions: pbgoalie

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The fact of the matter is we have 2 points in our last 11 games. Don't think you could realistically do any worse. The points that killed them were the unexpected or miraculous ones earlier in the season. Said it a few weeks ago, but having just two less points (TWO!) would make such a difference in the potential outcomes.

Beating Carolina on the road (and actually beating them both times this season), scoring 2 with the goalie pulled to get an OT point against Nashville, getting a point on the road against Boston, etc.

edit: Nice to see the Sharks going back to the familiar game plan of scoring first, then giving up a goal almost immediately and now down 3-1.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Whatever the solution is, people will be upset. My personal feeling is it should just be by standings but if you pick first overall, you can't pick first or second overall for three subsequent years. Figure it out with third-tenth overall picks and let other teams have a shot at top talent. If your scouts and managers haven't figured it out by then, you're eligible for the tip of the draft again.

The only way to prevent tanking is to have a totally random draw of all non playoff teams with even odds. Which is uniquely terrible because a bubble team that just misses because of key injuries but otherwise have a competitive playoff ready roster could end up with a generational talent in a down year which really defeats the purpose of keeping parity level through the draft.

Lottery rule changes from 2021 and 2022:

The 2021 NHL Draft Lottery will be reduced from three drawings to two as part of changes announced Tuesday.
Two other changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:
-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws.
-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.
The NHL said the changes will reduce the likelihood of the worst-finishing team dropping in the draft order and not retaining the right to the No. 1 pick; reduce the magnitude of any possible drop in draft order for the worst-finishing team; limit the number of teams eligible to win the No. 1 pick (based on final regular-season standings); and limit the number of times the same team can benefit from winning a lottery drawing.

I like these changes that started in 2021. It really helps out the worst team in the league as well as prevents the worst team from missing out on a top-3 pick, which happened to the Red Wings in the 2020 draft.

The team and players don't tank, which is evidenced by the roller coaster ride we have witnessed in recent weeks between the bottom-4 rotations of BJs, Ducks, Hawks, and Sharks. Throughout the season, the Ducks' roster was the worst in the league. When the TDL occurred, the roster for the other three teams got significantly worse than the Ducks. Somehow, the Sharks' got D Thrun from the NCAA and boosted their winning chances for a spell.

Even when the GM hampers the team the team still manages to earn a point or win, like when the Ducks had to play with only 5D and forced Fowler to play an NHL record high of 38:55 TOI and with their fourth goalie depth in OEE.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I knew we weren't getting bedard, and by "knew" I mean I don't expect us to get nice things so I can't be disappointed when he goes elsewhere. I was at least hopeful to have a top 3 pick though. My pessimist thoughts are telling me we will be lucky to get a top five now.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
ers.png

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I knew we weren't getting bedard, and by "knew" I mean I don't expect us to get nice things so I can't be disappointed when he goes elsewhere. I was at least hopeful to have a top 3 pick though. My pessimist thoughts are telling me we will be lucky to get a top five now.
6th overall here we come

Reactions: MCB

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You can't blame Derek for being told to cover the Kings in the playoffs. He needs to make a living, and that apparently means covering the Kings at times. I would say "Yuck", but it's not my paycheck.

Sounds like Stephens' situation with the Athletic, except it's full time for both. Speaking of which, here's his latest article on the Ducks and tanking with quotes from Rico and Eakins...

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Sounds like Stephens' situation with the Athletic, except it's full time for both. Speaking of which, here's his latest article on the Ducks and tanking with quotes from Rico and Eakins...

The Ducks will soon end the worst season in franchise history. It might conclude with 13 straight defeats. It is a position Henrique hates to be in and he’s expecting changes. He wants this to be rock bottom and hopes they start to make progress. “If it doesn’t, guys aren’t going to want to be here because why would you want to go through this year after year after year?” he said.

But there are players and coaches that want to win when they hit the ice Tuesday and Thursday. Eakins noticed Columbus getting blanked by the New York Rangers, San Jose falling meekly to Edmonton and Chicago getting scorched by Seattle on Saturday while his team came within 35 seconds of beating Arizona and had a two-goal lead over Colorado until they made repeated trips to the penalty box. “Our guys are still full of a lot of sandpaper and battling,” he said. “I think if you had a bunch of guys that just weren’t going to compete anymore, I’m not sure you want them in your organization.”
giphy.gif

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Yup, tomorrow is huge.

I am happy that Seattle is right on the Kings' tail and that they may have something to play for in game 82. if they were to be locked in, definitely see them tanking that game.

I'm of the opinion that the Sharks, Hawks and Jackets will not be earning any more points this season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lottery rule changes from 2021 and 2022:

The 2021 NHL Draft Lottery will be reduced from three drawings to two as part of changes announced Tuesday.
Two other changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:
-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws.
-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.
The NHL said the changes will reduce the likelihood of the worst-finishing team dropping in the draft order and not retaining the right to the No. 1 pick; reduce the magnitude of any possible drop in draft order for the worst-finishing team; limit the number of teams eligible to win the No. 1 pick (based on final regular-season standings); and limit the number of times the same team can benefit from winning a lottery drawing.

I like these changes that started in 2021. It really helps out the worst team in the league as well as prevents the worst team from missing out on a top-3 pick, which happened to the Red Wings in the 2020 draft.

The team and players don't tank, which is evidenced by the roller coaster ride we have witnessed in recent weeks between the bottom-4 rotations of BJs, Ducks, Hawks, and Sharks. Throughout the season, the Ducks' roster was the worst in the league. When the TDL occurred, the roster for the other three teams got significantly worse than the Ducks. Somehow, the Sharks' got D Thrun from the NCAA and boosted their winning chances for a spell.

Even when the GM hampers the team the team still manages to earn a point or win, like when the Ducks had to play with only 5D and forced Fowler to play an NHL record high of 38:55 TOI and with their fourth goalie depth in OEE.
Yeah I think as frustrating as it is to be a fan of a team in range, I don't think the current system is far off what can be considered "ideal"

At this point I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that we have to pray for RNG to go our way for once. The draw for the top 2 picks are a veritable crapshoot and anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad