2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can see Hawks being blown out in the last 3 games, that roster is incredibly weak.

Against the Flyers though? That is my only hopeful game, and we just need one.…well that’s if the Ducks lose their next two in regulation. Who knows what will happen there.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
If I were the league, I'd be looking real hard at tweaking the lottery formula again to make it more random or find another way to disincentive tanking. It's getting a little too blatant and distasteful again.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If I were the league, I'd be looking real hard at tweaking the lottery formula again to make it more random or find another way to disincentive tanking. It's getting a little too blatant and distasteful again.
I agree. I'd probably even out the % into tiers. Bottom 5 teams at like 11% each. 6-10 @ 6% 11-16 2.5%. There has also been talk about doing a mini playoff for the pick but that favors the better teams who miss.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
When I posted the lineups of all 4 teams in this spot a couple weeks ago or whenever, was clear to me this team had a hell of a battle to finish below CHI/SJ/CBJ, our team is just way better. Finishing below any of them would be a success to me

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Start praying

1Jc1TefN_400x400.jpeg

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
There was an interesting article on the Gold Plan. Essentially, the draft ranking are based on how many points you win after you've been eliminated. That way it incentivizes teams to keep winning.

It balances out because better teams will have less time to accumulate points and worse teams will still struggle. But it forces everyone to want to win games. I think if you are keeping a lottery, this makes the most sense.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
There was an interesting article on the Gold Plan. Essentially, the draft ranking are based on how many points you win after you've been eliminated. That way it incentivizes teams to keep winning.

It balances out because better teams will have less time to accumulate points and worse teams will still struggle. But it forces everyone to want to win games. I think if you are keeping a lottery, this makes the most sense.
I would think it would just mean that teams in the 22-28 range are getting top picks whole bottom teams will languish

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

It's interesting but it also likely results in the best of the worst with the best odds.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Let AI decide the draft order based on legitimate team strength and effort. If you intentionally kill off your teams competitiveness then it weighs unfavourably compared to a team that also sucks but is actually trying to improve.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Let AI decide the draft order based on legitimate team strength and effort. If you intentionally kill off your teams competitiveness then it weighs unfavourably compared to a team that also sucks but is actually trying to improve.
An effort level metric would be the crown jewel for determining draft position, but the definition of effort could be pretty subjective and even harder to reasonably measure at this point. maybe in the future? I just think if it were far enough along and advanced enough, the league would be using it already.

in theory, i totally agree though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Whatever the solution is, people will be upset. My personal feeling is it should just be by standings but if you pick first overall, you can't pick first or second overall for three subsequent years. Figure it out with third-tenth overall picks and let other teams have a shot at top talent. If your scouts and managers haven't figured it out by then, you're eligible for the tip of the draft again.

The only way to prevent tanking is to have a totally random draw of all non playoff teams with even odds. Which is uniquely terrible because a bubble team that just misses because of key injuries but otherwise have a competitive playoff ready roster could end up with a generational talent in a down year which really defeats the purpose of keeping parity level through the draft.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

Gold plan sounds neat until you realize that we really suck and would actually get a worse pick even though we've been out of the race for so long

But the whole point is to try and stop teams from tanking. PV probably makes alternative decisions if the difference between 1st and 6th isn't losing but winning games.

The chart also shows all the worst teams. None of the teams close to the playoffs are on that list. It provides an opportunity for the worst teams to get the top picks, but the rules force teams to want to win games instead of losing.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I don't have a problem with tanking as a concept throughout the league. It usually takes a long time for tanking teams to turn their organizations around. That, to me, is enough of a consequence.

The lottery, in it's current form, is only exacerbates the consequence. Not a fan of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad