2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If Gibson isn’t healthy still, then OEE has to play one of the games. Makes absolutely no sense to play Dostal two nights in a row at this point in the season, with where they are in the standings. Didn’t make sense to me when they made him do that earlier this season either.
Ek just isn’t an NHL goalie, and you shouldn’t do that to the kid. You can’t leave him in for 10+ goals, Dostal would be back on net anyway.

Who was the poor guy that they did that to when we had no goalies during the Hiller vertigo fiasco?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
All we have to do is get zero points in the final 4 games to get the best draft odds. Let’s see if we can execute being the worst in the league for the first time in franchise history and at least making it worth it. If we get the top pick, Eakins deserves a job in the Gulls and Sustr deserves a contract extension!

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Oct 18, 2011
Veebeek needs to tell the coaches he wants to see Dostal and OEE also there are valid reasons to scratch some vets that isn't tanking related. If you were going to shop Henrique this summer why would he even play, there's no reason to risk injury

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ek just isn’t an NHL goalie, and you shouldn’t do that to the kid. You can’t leave him in for 10+ goals, Dostal would be back on net anyway.

Who was the poor guy that they did that to when we had no goalies during the Hiller vertigo fiasco?
While I agree about the general attitude towards the idea of starting him - I guarantee that he’d want that memory of one NHL game and would look back on it positively, no matter how badly he gets lit up. Playing in the NHL is one of the main things he’s been working for for almost two decades now and knowing he made that, regardless of anything happening there, is cathartic. Giving him that as a reward for his work in the organization is basically the only argument for giving him that NHL game/start.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Ducks playing a below average AHL goalie to get a slightly better chance at a pick would be embarrassing. Not even bedard is worth desecrating the crest like that.

First of all, tanking thread dude. If you don’t like it go to literally any other thread lol.

Second of all, there is a legit reason to do it. Playing Dostal on back to back is not good for his development and Dostal’s development is more important then the moral victory we get by competing in game 78 in last place.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
First of all, tanking thread dude. If you don’t like it go to literally any other thread lol.

Second of all, there is a legit reason to do it. Playing Dostal on back to back is not good for his development and Dostal’s development is more important then the moral victory we get by competing in game 78 in last place.
There's a difference between tanking and throwing games all the while putting some kid out there in a situation you know he will fail mightily in.

How is playing a 22 year old goalie on a back to back, bad for development? NHL goalies play back to backs all the time. Goalies in juniors do it. Its part of the game and he will have to do it eventually.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
There's a difference between tanking and throwing games all the while putting some kid out there in a situation you know he will fail mightily in.

How is playing a 22 year old goalie on a back to back, bad for development? NHL goalies play back to backs all the time. Goalies in juniors do it. Its part of the game and he will have to do it eventually.
Because other goalies don’t have to face 40+ shots every game like Ducks goalies do. Do we really need Dostal to get torched 2 nights in a row?

How is putting a goalie under professional contract in a game throwing the game? Stop being dramatic. He is a current NHL backup, not some guy off the street.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Because other goalies don’t have to face 40+ shots every game like Ducks goalies do. Do we really need Dostal to get torched 2 nights in a row?

How is putting a goalie under professional contract in a game throwing the game? Stop being dramatic. He is a current NHL backup, not some guy off the street.

Dostal won't get torched by the coyotes. Playing back to back games late in the season, isn't going to hurt anything. It's a good opportunity to get him some experience.

Hes 2-14 in the minor leagues. He's closer to being a guy off the street (skill / merit wise) than he is an NHL backup.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Dostal won't get torched by the coyotes. Playing back to back games late in the season, isn't going to hurt anything. It's a good opportunity to get him some experience.

Hes 2-14 in the minor leagues. He's closer to being a guy off the street (skill / merit wise) than he is an NHL backup.

He is being paid to be an NHL goalie. He can do the job, and frankly, if he can’t do the job then who cares. Literally game 79 in last place.

You think Dostal won’t get torched by Colorado on a back to back? OEE will probably play anyways. I’d rather he play in Arizona and not come in as relief and give up 6 in 30 minutes in Colorado.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
He is 2-14 in the minor leagues. He's closer to being a guy off the street (skill / merit wise) than he is an NHL backup.
He is a pro hockey goalie playing in a pro league being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so. Stop acting as if he is a beer league goalie. He is not going to be a full-time NHL player, but he will most likely have a nice career in Europe or a league like the ECHL. Alluding that this is pretty much akin to being "a guy off the street" is an insult to professional hockey in those leagues, and in general.

Reactions: LiveLaughDucks

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
He is being paid to be an NHL goalie. He can do the job, and frankly, if he can’t do the job then who cares. Literally game 79 in last place.

You think Dostal won’t get torched by Colorado on a back to back? OEE will probably play anyways. I’d rather he play in Arizona and not come in as relief and give up 6 in 30 minutes in Colorado.
It makes the franchise look bush league.

1. Playing in the NHL should be an incredible honor, given to players who truly deserve to play in the league. Allowing sub quality talent play for you makes the prestige of playing for your organization all the less meaningful.

2. The fans deserve better. People paying NHL prices should not be met with ECHL quality talent, no matter where they are in the standings. Moves like this bring the league closer to being the NBA in terms of disrespect to its paying customers.

He is a pro hockey goalie playing in a pro league being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so. Stop acting as if he is a beer league goalie. He is not going to be a full-time NHL player, but he will most likely have a nice career in Europe or a league like the ECHL. Alluding that this is pretty much akin to being "a guy off the street" is an insult to professional hockey in those leagues, and in general.
Being a pro hockey goalie is fine but that doesn't mean every pro hockey player deserves to play in the NHL.

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
That tankathon lottery sim sure likes moving random teams up 10 spots...

Is there still time for a Gibson Vezina surge? Just asking.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

1. Playing in the NHL should be an incredible honor, given to players who truly deserve to play in the league. Allowing sub quality talent play for you makes the prestige of playing for your organization all the less meaningful.

2. The fans deserve better. People paying NHL prices should not be met with ECHL quality talent, no matter where they are in the standings. Moves like this bring the league closer to being the NBA in terms of disrespect to its paying customers.

Being a pro hockey goalie is fine but that doesn't mean every pro hockey player deserves to play in the NHL.
Have you looked at the stats this year? The team looks bush leageu enough lol.

Playing an AHL goalie for one game is not going to do anything the change the view of the team. Playing him every game I agree would be a bad look. One game wouldn’t.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
giving OEE one game will not make the franchise look "bush league" lmao. take a look at the goalies some of the other tanking teams have been playing. you think he'd turn down the chance to play a NHL game?

he's not in the team's future plans, why not just let him play one game in the NHL before he likely goes back to europe after the season? there's no need to throw dostal out there every night at this point and there's especially no need to play gibson any longer for the remainder of the season

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks playing a below average AHL goalie to get a slightly better chance at a pick would be embarrassing. Not even bedard is worth desecrating the crest like that.
But getting the NHL record for most shots on goal against is some badge of honor. And I know that one is intentional and the other is something that just shaked out from being historically bad. But no one is going to remember or care that we played a third string goalie in the final games of a lost season. Us having a historically bad record for shit defense will be in the record books forever. Even after a team tops it. This season will still be marked as among the top 5 worst from a defensive perspective.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

1. Already discussed

2. The fans deserve better? Are you being serious? This has been the worst season in franchise history. One game is a drop in the bucket of shit. People have continued paying for tickets to bear witness to this terminal season. Playing an AHL goalie instead of the backup doesn't really change much.

3. And?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
While I agree about the general attitude towards the idea of starting him - I guarantee that he’d want that memory of one NHL game and would look back on it positively, no matter how badly he gets lit up. Playing in the NHL is one of the main things he’s been working for for almost two decades now and knowing he made that, regardless of anything happening there, is cathartic. Giving him that as a reward for his work in the organization is basically the only argument for giving him that NHL game/start.
I appreciate your take on this as a goalie, and I would hope that’s the real reason, but…

My concern would be that this is the kid’s chosen career, and its one thing to be pretty sure that your dreams will never come through, and another to have your dreams brutally crushed in a fashion that may ruin you for life. Being the worst goalie to ever wear a Ducks uniform would be quite the stigma. Knowing you did your best and it’ll never be enough is even worse.

This is not to you, but I do wish people would stop pretending that wanting to have this kid play is anything other than personal selfishness. I’m not even disagreeing that it’s the best way forward for the franchise. But…yes, it’s bush league, no, most of you don’t give a Shattenkirk about this kid as a human being or his professional future, no, he is not an NHL goalie, yes, the damage this could do to his confidence could eliminate his (already small) chances of being a career AHL goalie, no, a couple extra thousand for bring on the roster a few days doesn’t justify it and yes, starting the kid is absolutely bush league. This isn’t the miracle underdog zamboni driver living the dream.

This is the tank thread. Have the integrity to own it and stop acting like it’s not sheer greed driving the decision.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
But getting the NHL record for most shots on goal against is some badge of honor. And I know that one is intentional and the other is something that just shaked out from being historically bad. But no one is going to remember or care that we played a third string goalie in the final games of a lost season. Us having a historically bad record for shit defense will be in the record books forever. Even after a team tops it. This season will still be marked as among the top 5 worst from a defensive perspective.
At least one person will, for the rest of his life.

2. The fans deserve better? Are you being serious? This has been the worst season in franchise history. One game is a drop in the bucket of shit. People have continued paying for tickets to bear witness to this terminal season. Playing an AHL goalie instead of the backup doesn't really change much.
If this happens it needs to be tonight, so he has the best chance of just getting beaten, not eradicated. If not, I would expect a refund for my tickets (that I won’t get) for intentionally icing a non-NHL roster, which Is not what I signed up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad