2023 Tank Thread - Die Hard for Bedard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
You do realize how many other good pieces are needed to be a good team? Chicago was way more than Kane and Toews. Keith and Seabrook was an elite top pairing for a decade. Pitt had MAF and Letang. Going to ground zero with Bedard still need the rest of the roster to fill out. How many years will be needed to be blown off his career while trying to find the replacements for the key guys who would need to be moved to be that terrible?

it's irrelevant. they can't tank. they are locked into competing.

Reactions: mriswith

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
it's irrelevant. they can't tank. they are locked into competing.
Rutherford is a hilarious sellout. He obviously knows he can’t do shit with this mess but he still took the money. There is no chance he is allowed to rebuild, and I doubt he would even want to. He is accepting a paycheque he knows he will never earn.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Rutherford is a hilarious sellout. He obviously knows he can’t do shit with this mess but he still took the money. There is no chance he is allowed to rebuild, and I doubt he would even want to. He is accepting a paycheque he knows he will never earn.
This core won't be blown up for 4 it 5 years. He'll be retired long before they rebuild.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
So this is probably my usual delusional Canucks copium, but I haven't lost all hope yet. Coming into this season I expected Vancouver to be a borderline playoff team and a finish somewhere 4-5 in the Pacific. And I think that's exactly the potential they've shown so far.

I think the Canucks are better than Seattle, Anaheim and SJ. The battle for #4 is going to be with LA and Vegas. I'm not going to lose hope until I see the team play against more teams in the Pacific with a sample size that includes some home games.

Sure, the defense is horrible and we've known that for a while, so not surprising. That can be somewhat improved with a trade. On the other hand, having multigoal leads in 4 consecutive road games isn't easy, so we know the team has some talent. Coaching is horrible though and the boys are not getting properly prepared for games (just look at the Caps game, two goals allowed within seconds of starting periods 1 and 2, a goal within 5 seconds of a PP, etc.), but I expect some adjustments there.

This first week has been more painful than usual because of the blown leads, that's just life as a Canucks fan, the emotional roller coaster will always be dizzying. But things even out and I don't expect this kind of bad luck to persist. I'd be more worried if the team was 0-3-1 with no signs it can win a game. But so far, in every single game they've played, there has been a point where I thought the team was definitely going to win. So as I said, I'll wait until we have a larger sample size that includes home games and more games against the Pacific division's middle and lower tier teams.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
philly west

everyone predicted the flyers would be the idiots that overestimate how good their team is, go for a playoff push, and maybe, maybe even trade their first round pick for a mid-season rental to salvage things after a terrible start

we all forgot that it's much funnier (and more fitting) for that to be the canucks

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
philly west

everyone predicted the flyers would be the idiots that overestimate how good their team is, go for a playoff push, and maybe, maybe even trade their first round pick for a mid-season rental to salvage things after a terrible start

we all forgot that it's much funnier (and more fitting) for that to be the canucks

And Carter Hart has been absolutely phenomenal while our "star" goaltenders have really struggled. Torts tenure here was a disaster and he has a rather short shelf-life but he has a way of getting talent to buy into his structure and keep things simple. Boudreau seems to be the opposite.

Reactions: vancityluongo

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
I think the Canucks are better than Seattle, Anaheim and SJ. The battle for #4 is going to be with LA and Vegas. I'm not going to lose hope until I see the team play against more teams in the Pacific with a sample size that includes some home games.
A fact of being a Canucks fan over the past few years that has been very annoying has been that any time we are "in the hunt" for the playoffs is less a result of us improving, and more of a result of there being worse teams in the division or the conference, usually teams with a real plan

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
when you let an injured man bleed a long time before he gets treated, there are consequences even if the bleeding has stopped now.

I think we might need a full rebuild.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
when you let an injured man bleed a long time before he gets treated, there are consequences even if the bleeding has stopped now.

Management laid out a two year plan but that was with the assumption that the team had good foundations, if that's no longer true (and I think if we've fallen out of it by American Thanksgiving then that would be the clear indicator) then it should be a serious consideration to change the timeline from gradually re-tooling over two years to an aggressive re-build that will take 3-5.

Management laid out a two year plan but that was with the assumption that the team had good foundations, if that's no longer true (and I think if we've fallen out of it by American Thanksgiving then that would be the clear indicator) then it should be a serious consideration to change the timeline from gradually re-tooling over two years to an aggressive re-build that will take 3-5.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's the eternal damnation of an NHL team in the mushy middle. The Canucks could 'flip their roster' between the NHL and Abbotsford, and it still might not be 'bad enough' to out-tank the Coyotes or the Hawks.

But can you imagine if Bedard were to end up down the I-5 in Seattle? They could quickly pass the Canucks heading in the opposite direction.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to flail around trying to sneak into a wildcard spot for the next 5 years (before you actually rebuild) you could do that. If you're actually serious about building a contender and possibly winning a Cup, you probably need to start thinking about a rather significant roster turnover right now.

There are a number of media members at this point that have basically said they don't see more than 2-3 of the current players even being on the roster the next time the Canucks are legitimately a perennial playoff team.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Need Fantilli. HIs Hockeydb picture alone:

1666209695919.png

Oh and he's currently pacing 2ppg

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Honestly would not be mad if the Canucks just cleaned house.

Trade bo, trade miller, trade boeser, hell even trade garland if we are keeping Bruce around to coach. Try to accumulate as many 23 1sts. This draft is insanely deep. With the accumulation of draft capital there’s going to be a few buchnevich/bjorkstrands shake loose. Trade a 2nd to take them on with all the free cap space

This team finishes bottom 6 that’s guaranteed shot at 1 of bedard/michikov/fantili/carlsson/yager/Ritchie

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That's the eternal damnation of an NHL team in the mushy middle. The Canucks could 'flip their roster' between the NHL and Abbotsford, and it still might not be 'bad enough' to out-tank the Coyotes or the Hawks.

But can you imagine if Bedard were to end up down the I-5 in Seattle? They could quickly pass the Canucks heading in the opposite direction.

They will have Shane Wright and Connor Bedard as their top 6 centers. We will be so far behind them, it's not even funny.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

Trade bo, trade miller, trade boeser, hell even trade garland if we are keeping Bruce around to coach. Try to accumulate as many 23 1sts. This draft is insanely deep. With the accumulation of draft capital there’s going to be a few buchnevich/bjorkstrands shake loose. Trade a 2nd to take them on with all the free cap space

This team finishes bottom 6 that’s guaranteed shot at 1 of bedard/michikov/fantili/carlsson/yager/Ritchie

it's too late. other than horvat all these players have too much term and too much money owed. go look at capfriendly and try to find space for these guys

Reactions: Timmer44

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

I don't doubt the Canucks are trying to move pieces. But who can afford these guys at the moment. All the good teams are capped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad