2023 Tank Thread - Die Hard for Bedard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
About the only way the Canucks will be 'in' on the Bedard sweepstakes is if they strip-mine their roster much like Chicago did. Since that's not happening, Bedard isn't even a remote possibility.

A sadder possibility is that Boudreau--who's without a contract for next season--ends up walking the plank. That would be a poor reflection on this 'mentally fragile' group.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They wont be able to dismantle this team now.

This is what we got for the next couple of seasons.

Disagree. The only players they won't be able to move are OEL & probably Miller.

They can dismantle the team if they want too. Teams would be lining up for Hughes, Demko, Horvat as a rental, Kuzmenko as a cheap rental, exc.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The point isn't to get Bedard; it's clear that's extremely unlikely. The point is to be picking at, say, six rather than fifteen, to have more than one pick in the first round, to dispose of veterans and use the cap space to acquire more youth. etc.

I'm impatient for management to show some patience.

I want to see that management is working on a plan to develop a genuine contender, rather than a team that might have a shot at some playoff success if absolutely everything goes right for a couple of years before a complete tear-down becomes inevitable, with a prospect pool probably even worse than it is now.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks have to win 5 out of their next 7 just to be .500 after the 10 game mark to give themselves a chance of eventually climbing back into a playoff spot as the season progresses.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I didn’t want to resign Miller or do the direction this team decided to go.

That being said, this thread is dumb after 3 games.

0-10 then I’m back on that train but for now this is kinda dumb tbh.
The problem is that it’s not just a 3 game sample size. The same core had the same issues last year. The only thing that hasn’t changed since last year are the players who are suppose to lead the team. everything else has been tried to get better results on a consistent basis. There is definitely a culture and chemistry problem that’s been the elephant in the room for the past 2 years. The only thing left is to do what the Rangers did 3 years ago. Admit what they have is never going to get them to a contending team and surgically cut away the problems and restock the prospect pool.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
it's funny to see some of the clear eyed realists suggest this franchise should tank for 1st overall. Tanking for the 1st overall pick is something a successful team would do. We're talking about the Vancouver Canucks here.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
it's funny to see some of the clear eyed realists suggest this franchise should tank for 1st overall. Tanking for the 1st overall pick is something a successful team would do. We're talking about the Vancouver Canucks here.
You do realize how many other good pieces are needed to be a good team? Chicago was way more than Kane and Toews. Keith and Seabrook was an elite top pairing for a decade. Pitt had MAF and Letang. Going to ground zero with Bedard still need the rest of the roster to fill out. How many years will be needed to be blown off his career while trying to find the replacements for the key guys who would need to be moved to be that terrible?

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Yeah, it's early.

Have you watched this team though?

Do you honestly think that even if they made the playoffs, they would get out of the 1st round?

This is the best draft year since 2015, and there is a lot of baggage on this team that needs to go. This team has zero impact prospects in the pipeline - they need a high pick and it's the year to get one.

Outside of Bedard, you have Michkov and Fantilli who would be excellent 1st overall picks in any year.
Tanking is for losers bro.

What I want is 17th overall. Who needs Bedard when you got Ryan Leonard sitting there pretty at 17? Personally speaking, I'd rather have $1.25 million Ryan Leonard in 2026 rather than $9.5 million Bedard.

Could probably get a haul from NJ. I'd ask for Nemec + 2023 1st.
There's no honour in that though. Trading players for picks and prospects is for p***yes.

What would really be in the best interests of this team is being out playoff contention by the end of November, and then winning the next 40 of 60 games and landing that coveted 17th overall spot. Why? Because - that is what will truly set the tone and pace for the 2023-2024 season. It's about intangibles. It's about character. It's about commitment. It's about where we're from.

Last edited:

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Tanking is for losers bro.

What I want is 17th overall. Who needs Bedard when you got Ryan Leonard sitting there pretty at 17? Personally speaking, I'd rather have $1.25 million Ryan Leonard in 2026 rather than $9.5 million Bedard.

There's no honour in that though. Trading players for picks and prospects is for p***yes.

What would really be in the best interests of this team is being out playoff contention by the end of November, and then winning the next 40 of 60 games and landing that coveted 17th overall spot. Why? Because - that is what will truly set the tone and pace for the 2023-2024 season. It's about intangibles. It's about character. It's about commitment. It's about where we're from.
🤨

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
oh-yes-gag1vz.jpg

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The point isn't to get Bedard; it's clear that's extremely unlikely. The point is to be picking at, say, six rather than fifteen, to have more than one pick in the first round, to dispose of veterans and use the cap space to acquire more youth. etc.

I'm impatient for management to show some patience.

I want to see that management is working on a plan to develop a genuine contender, rather than a team that might have a shot at some playoff success if absolutely everything goes right for a couple of years before a complete tear-down becomes inevitable, with a prospect pool probably even worse than it is now.
The top 6 this year >> the top 6 in most recent years. Especially the top 3.

This is the strongest top 3 since McDavid/Eichel/Strome (lol, basically Marner)

Fantilli would be an incredible consolation prize.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
There are hockey Gods and they hate Vancouver. Vancouver has almost never done well in the draft even pre-lottery times, never got the top pick and as recent years have shown even finishing 2nd from bottom doesn't get them the #1 pick. With Canuck luck if they did get the #1 pick, they would have already traded it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad