Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Edition

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Noticing a couple of rumours linking us with Arda Guler. Not a signing I’d expect, but for that low a fee and reasonable wages he’d be worth the punt.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
AFTV predictably melting down over City joining the Rice race. :laugh:
Well, that's because City can spend 100 million straight up (Arsenal has always worked in instalments) and can even overpay for players. We all agree here that Rice is probably being valued at 30 million too much, but City can come in and give them 130 and still be okay, which is a pushing limit for the Arsenal. Arsenal has never once shown to overpay for anyone...except Havertz of all pieces, but they probably value him as a 70 million player stupidly enough.

And you United fans have no reason to banter, you lot are about to spend the same amount for a significantly inferior player in Mount lol. If Arsenal lose out on Rice, it will be a huge loss no questions asked, but Arsenal can go in for SMS or Caicedo instead along with Lavia. There are many options to choose from.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
To be fair to Arsenal, Sullivan was always going to drag out the Rice saga. He wants top dollar and will do all he can to get it. Despite Sullivan’s mistake about talking about Rice leaving, no one should expect any significant discount there. That said, Arsenal could get closer to the asking price at this point and just sit down with them and thrash out a deal. Havertz strikes me as a somewhat luxury signing as it is and @S E P H is right that you could/should wait on him and get Rice over the line first.

Reactions: maclean

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Can't believe Arsenal bought Havertz for that much. They are always eager to take our rejects.
Being the leading goal scorer on a team that can't score isn't that impressive. His lack of contributions is a big reason why we couldn't score as well.

The wrong German was sold back to the Bundesliga.
There was a lot more disfunction at Chelsea last year than just Havertz - maybe having him (and everyone) play under 3 managers, one of which they previously fired and then re-hired as interim, was not a great idea.

I would have liked the fee to be lower, but this is one "reject" that I'm confident will be far better at Arsenal than the Chelsea circus.

Man City was always rumored, not to mention United lurking in the background as well. Sure, no concrete bids yet, but they were always there and a possibility.

Haven’t seen any reporting on the City offer, so no idea what it actually is.
The rumors could just as well have been leaks from West Ham to drive up the price. There hasn't been any concrete interest from those teams in weeks. I want to finalize Rice pretty badly, but West Ham is asking for Bellingham money for a guy that is worth less than that.

Think about having Havertz as your priority signing more so than Rice lol. Perpetual 2nd place club.
To be fair to Arsenal, Sullivan was always going to drag out the Rice saga. He wants top dollar and will do all he can to get it. Despite Sullivan’s mistake about talking about Rice leaving, no one should expect any significant discount there. That said, Arsenal could get closer to the asking price at this point and just sit down with them and thrash out a deal. Havertz strikes me as a somewhat luxury signing as it is and @S E P H is right that you could/should wait on him and get Rice over the line first.
They've been negotiating with West Ham for far longer. Rice has been the priority, but they are asking for an overpay. Maybe Havertz was an overpay too, but it doesn't mean Rice hasn't been the priority.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
While what you say is true, at the same time I do understand being more careful at that 100m mark.
People here seem to think that breaking your club's transfer record should be as simple and easy as clicking thru the FIFA negotiations in 2mins

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No other club made an offer for Havertz. Going to pretend as if Real Madrid’s and Bayern’s reported interest did not exist.

Can’t believe Arsenal bailed us out of a player making 200k+ per week with only two years left on his deal and paid far more than other teams were reportedly willing to pay (but because they never submitted an official bid - it is fake news)

It needs to be investigated, honestly. Apalling

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
There was a lot more disfunction at Chelsea last year than just Havertz - maybe having him (and everyone) play under 3 managers, one of which they previously fired and then re-hired as interim, was not a great idea.

I would have liked the fee to be lower, but this is one "reject" that I'm confident will be far better at Arsenal than the Chelsea circus.

The rumors could just as well have been leaks from West Ham to drive up the price. There hasn't been any concrete interest from those teams in weeks. I want to finalize Rice pretty badly, but West Ham is asking for Bellingham money for a guy that is worth less than that.

They've been negotiating with West Ham for far longer. Rice has been the priority, but they are asking for an overpay. Maybe Havertz was an overpay too, but it doesn't mean Rice hasn't been the priority.
Bellingham money is north of £115M with add-ons, so not the same and also not a PL to PL transfer. Arsenal can quibble over the base and £10M if they want, the way it’s looking someone’s going to pay it.

And if they decide to go for Caicedo instead, they’d be dropping down on the player and end up paying like the same price. That sounds like bad business.

And Havertz was definitely an overpay.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

As I said, they’ll try and squeeze out every last penny from Arsenal, so sit down and thrash out the deal. I don’t know when this saga started and I’m not saying it’s even long in the tooth yet, but they can’t dawdle and Havertz clearly can wait. Also, never said Rice wasn’t the priority.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
As I said, they’ll try and squeeze out every last penny from Arsenal, so sit down and thrash out the deal. I don’t know when this saga started and I’m not saying it’s even long in the tooth yet, but they can’t dawdle and Havertz clearly can wait. Also, never said Rice wasn’t the priority.
It’s kinda like when I used to go on vacation with my buddies and we spend like $1,500+ on flights and accommodations and then they complain about spending €10 on breakfast. Bro, we’re here. Just spend the extra money. You start targeting £100M players and you’re going to throw a fit at the last £10M?

• Haha
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No other club made an offer for Havertz. Going to pretend as if Real Madrid’s and Bayern’s reported interest did not exist.

Can’t believe Arsenal bailed us out of a player making 200k+ per week with only two years left on his deal and paid far more than other teams were reportedly willing to pay (but because they never submitted an official bid - it is fake news)

It needs to be investigated, honestly. Apalling
Funny that you keep posting stuff like this but won't even @ me.

Bayern and Real Madrid balking at a 50M+ fee for Havertz (rumors that Chelsea originally asked for 70M+ and Madrid said nothing more than 50M) is a lot different than a rumors of Inter taking players on loan and not willing to pay for a permanent transfer. I never pretended there weren't any teams asking about KK, Ziyech, Mendy, and CHO. I said no one offered a transfer fee and there wasn't any rumors for permanent transfers except from Saudi.

Meanwhile, you were the one that said it would be shocking to receive a fee for any of these players before I even entered the conversation.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It’s kinda like when I used to go on vacation with my buddies and we spend like $1,500+ on flights and accommodations and then they complain about spending €10 on breakfast. Bro, we’re here. Just spend the extra money. You start targeting £100M players and you’re going to throw a fit at the last £10M?
Exactly. And if you are possibly overpaying on a lesser player to the same degree...

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Meanwhile, you were the one that said it would be shocking to receive a fee for any of these players before I even entered the conversation.
I’ve let you keep repeating this but I never said that. That was Blender. Re-read the entire thread.

What I had been doing prior to you chiming in was posting twitter links of updates.

You are frankly just incapable of having a discussion without lying or creating strawmen. A majority of your responses have made false claims or you reading a post where I said X and then you restating it in your own words with quotations to attack it.

That’s the reason I switched to just mocking you. And now I’ll be blocking you.

I’ve been consistent in this thread. I guessed Havertz fee would land at 60+. I guessed Chelsea and United would find an agreement in the middle around 55+. I always thought a fee for Mendy would land in the 15ish range.

I just hate Ziyech but I understand why he is garnering a fee.

The only one that still does not make sense to me is the reported fee for Koulibaly. His wages are astronomical (again - this does not matter for Saudi but frankly he was not going to return this otherwise). He seemingly was unwilling to take a big wage cut by early indications. So the market was essentially dead and he was going to go into the season as 5th/6th choice.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013

The Milan report from Italy yesterday is affirmed on the Chelsea side. But the journalist here also reports that Lukaku is going to continue to block non-Inter moves at this stage.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't know why people are upset about Arsenal's window. Finalized Havertz for a fair deal, and are in the pole position to get Rice and Timber. That City is rumored to be finally be making a bid at the same level as Arsenal's after being rumored to be making a bid for weeks doesn't really change anything.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't know why people are upset about Arsenal's window. Finalized Havertz for a fair deal, and are in the pole position to get Rice and Timber. That City is rumored to be finally be making a bid at the same level as Arsenal's after being rumored to be making a bid for weeks doesn't really change anything.

As of right now, I'm not upset. In fact I continue to be quite optimistic. But given past conditioning, I think anyone can be forgiven for harbouring worries about the team's ability to get things done. If a month from now Havertz is still all we have, I will have crossed into upset territory

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Partey linked with a move to Juventus.

People here seem to think that breaking your club's transfer record should be as simple and easy as clicking thru the FIFA negotiations in 2mins
As I mentioned before, Rice is getting the overpay treatment when there are as good of options available. The problem I have (and Arsenal should also have) is now having to get Rice to block him from going to City. I am totally fine with letting some other clubs go in for Rice and we go after Caicedo, but not City.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
- Partey linked with a move to Juventus.

As I mentioned before, Rice is getting the overpay treatment when there are as good of options available. The problem I have (and Arsenal should also have) is now having to get Rice to block him from going to City. I am totally fine with letting some other clubs go in for Rice and we go after Caicedo, but not City.
You’ll pay just as much (or very close to it) for Caicedo and get a worse player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I don’t know how much there is to this and it’s Marca, but seeing this again. I welcome it at that price. We need two RBs and even if Fresneda only ever ended up being a squad player, that’s still not a bad price.

Nah mate, you can’t think that way. You buy based on your needs and not trying to block other clubs. City were fine selling to rivals and still won the treble.

As for Rice to City, I think City could well be interested considering the players they’re losing this Summer. Still, I think Rice would prefer Arsenal and staying in London.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad