GDT: 2023 Running Preseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- Jenner and Texier have very good chemistry. They prefer vertical hockey and know to play it (remember Jenner -- Texier -- Foligno line). Let play together.
- Laine can play center.
- I think Provorov is better than Werenski. Ivan has better hockey vision, skill than Zack.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Can we not bring the Bengals into this thread? I get sick enough watching them. I don’t need to combine that with my CBJ sickness.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m between zero and one degrees of separation from Joe Burrow so it’s very weird to me that he’s this huge star now. I used to sell him pizza when he was in middle and high school, and my best friend’s youngest brother was in his class growing up. I lived in Athens for a long time. What the LSU fans did for the Athens food pantry still makes me tear up when I think about it. If you’re a Bengals fan, consider making a donation to them because Athens county is desperately poor.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I am starting to believe that Laine could be a center but personally rather him be Fantilli's wingman. Nothing bad out there tonight but there were a few times Laine had a decent shooting lane and passed it off instead of taking the shot. Good guy Laine out there was being too much of a team player and leader. I can't believe I am complaining about a player not being selfish enough by shooting the puck more but here I am.

If this team can play more like the first period this is going to be a fun season.

Also a fun note:
Greaves .923 Sv% 36/39
Laine FO 57%

If Laine can take face-offs like that for OT we probably have one of the most dangerous 3v3 if we get the first possession...

Also seems like Texier was one of the missing pieces that this team needs. He's our French Swiss army knife now it seems. You can put him anywhere and he will elevate that line. Of all the players so far in preseason Tex is the one that's making me feel the best so far.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’m between zero and one degrees of separation from Joe Burrow so it’s very weird to me that he’s this huge star now. I used to sell him pizza when he was in middle and high school, and my best friend’s youngest brother was in his class growing up. I lived in Athens for a long time. What the LSU fans did for the Athens food pantry still makes me tear up when I think about it. If you’re a Bengals fan, consider making a donation to them because Athens county is desperately poor.
It wasn't just the LSU fans. Lots of folks from Ohio,, including me, donated heavily to the cause. As an OU grad, I know they needed it.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
That whole area is really bad off. I have horror stories growing up in Scioto County (Portsmouth) and still hear horror stories today about people I grew up with. I am always doing whatever I can to help out Southeast Ohio and others should too!

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Lol if my math is correct, Patrik Laine as a center 4gp 2+5=7 +8

On pace for 41+102=143p and +164 over 82gp!

Funnies aside, I haven't watched the preseason games but I'm hearing few complaints apart from the iffy faceoffs. I see he had a lot of face off wins against Sundqvist, who seems to be a real center but not very good in the circle. Anyway if Laine is a legit center option (at least in somewhat sheltered role avoiding D-zone face offs) for regular season, that could be interesting and create flexibility for line combos.

Also seems like Texier was one of the missing pieces that this team needs. He's our French Swiss army knife now it seems. You can put him anywhere and he will elevate that line. Of all the players so far in preseason Tex is the one that's making me feel the best so far.

That's great to hear, I had high hopes but low expectations for Texier, if he's the player he could be, that would be huge for the team. Between him and Danforth they could really add a lot the team was missing last season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko looked really good and dangerous out there. Maybe more versatile, I'm getting more confident that he could help a lot of lines.

I am starting to believe that Laine could be a center but personally rather him be Fantilli's wingman. Nothing bad out there tonight but there were a few times Laine had a decent shooting lane and passed it off instead of taking the shot. Good guy Laine out there was being too much of a team player and leader. I can't believe I am complaining about a player not being selfish enough by shooting the puck more but here I am.

I'd rather Laine and Fantilli share center duties on a line. I didn't think this was Laine's best game and Fantilli looked much better with Laine than with KJ.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I know Roslovic was in the lineup tonight, but I don't think I remember him doing anything.

Anyone think its remotely possible he gets waived?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know Roslovic was in the lineup tonight, but I don't think I remember him doing anything.

I thought he fit nicely with Texier and Jenner. Nothing special but some good forechecking.

Could he get waived? I suppose it's one way to not have to worry about anyone getting claimed. But I also think he can be better than a lot of the marginal guys we're trying to protect. I'd still like to see him opposite Gaudreau.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I thought he fit nicely with Texier and Jenner. Nothing special but some good forechecking.

Could he get waived? I suppose it's one way to not have to worry about anyone getting claimed. But I also think he can be better than a lot of the marginal guys we're trying to protect. I'd still like to see him opposite Gaudreau.
How did you feel Provorov-Jiricek were tonight?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

If this team can play more like the first period this is going to be a fun season.

Also a fun note:
Greaves .923 Sv% 36/39
Laine FO 57%

If Laine can take face-offs like that for OT we probably have one of the most dangerous 3v3 if we get the first possession...

Our 3vs3 should be really good this year. We can have our best fo guy take the draw and then go to a change as when we have possession, so that’s not an issue.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Did not get a chance to watch the entire game, but was fairly pleased with how Provorov, Jiricek and Severson looked first 30 minutes

Voronkov cemented his spot on the team tonight
What makes you say that ? I felt he was still a bit slow at times

I do believe it might be time to part ways with him, we’re just overloaded up front with more intriguing players

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Something I noted nobody was talking about tonight about Marchenko that caught my eye...his defensive ability tonight was OUTSTANDING by forward standards.
Agreed, I also noticed some good backchecking plays by him, he seems to really come prepared to this camp, might take the first line spot to start the season

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad