Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season VII - White Sox clean out the front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This thread in a nutshell:

Sox winning? Bitch about the team not spending money

Sox losing? Bitch about the team losing and how they don't spend money

All while the Red Sox continue to spend money. What a world!

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The paradox with the Red Sox is they are still drawing

View attachment 736080

FSG seems to be content that Fenway's true capacity is around 34,000

Janet Marie Smith is now saying she was not fired by the Red Sox but the City of Boston landmarks department would not allow a major reconstruction of the RF Grandstand and Bleachers.

The reality is the Sox are controlled by a woman who turns 45 years old next week. :help:
Werner would love to get proxy control of the team but it is not likely.
What does Sam Kennedy actually do? His title implies that he should be responsible for day-to-day operations of the team.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What does Sam Kennedy actually do? His title implies that he should be responsible for day-to-day operations of the team.

Media mouthpiece so ownership doesn't have to answer questions :laugh:

of course he is, it's unbelievable some of the cases being made like its the sox duty to send a message or draw a line in the sand against big contracts. give me a break

And you guys go the complete other way with it thinking the Sox should give every single player massive contracts as if it's the only way to compete in baseball.

Reactions: smithformeragent

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Media mouthpiece so ownership doesn't have to answer questions :laugh:

And you guys go the complete other way with it thinking the Sox should give every single player massive contracts as if it's the only way to compete in baseball.

No, but its indefensible and a really bad look to dump a 26 year old homegrown MVP and WS winner because you didnt want to pay his upcoming deal.

I mean, all he's done in the 3+ seasons since then is add 2,5 in MVP voting, 2 gold gloves, another WS ring and what looks to be another MVP Top 3 and gold glove this year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
No, but its indefensible and a really bad look to dump a 26 year old homegrown MVP and WS winner because you didnt want to pay his upcoming deal.

I mean, all he's done in the 3+ seasons since then is add 2,5 in MVP voting, 2 gold gloves, another WS ring and what looks to be another MVP Top 3 and gold glove this year.

He didn’t want to be in Boston lmao

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Betts is worth that money. You can't tell me any different.
Let's make a couple of assumptions...

1. Mookie would have signed the same contract in Boston that he eventually signed in Los Angeles.

2. Given the state of the team (Bad contracts, aging roster, lack of young talent on the immediate horizon, etc.) following the 2019 season, the Red Sox made the assessment that they would have a very difficult time competing for the next 3-4 seasons.

Betts was 27 when he was traded. The average player's peak is between ages 26-31. Why would it have made sense for the Red Sox to hand out a $365 million contract in the hopes that they might get 2-3 seasons of peak Mookie where they could surround him with enough talent to compete?

The question isn't whether or not Mookie was worth his deal. The question is whether or not he was worth that kind of deal to the Red Sox.

A large market team like the Dodgers can overcome a singular "bad" contract to Betts for a few years. I think that's the whole point. If you are good at your job you can supplement the team with young talent. They sure as hell didn't give up a lot for Mookie so if you operate that way you aren't decimating your farm system while at the same time paying for top talent. You can't live in fear of a bad contract biting a team 7 years down the line. I just find that crazy. The downfall of Andrew Friedman will never be signing Mookie Betts to that deal. I fail to see how the Red Sox weren't in position to give Mookie what the Dodgers did. He is one of the best players in baseball. If they wanted to commit to him they could have and then worked around that. That's why you hire a GM from Yale. Nobody said the job was easy.
Sure, a team like the Dodgers or Yankees or even the Red Sox can overcome a "bad" contract, but why would they want to? It seems like a very inefficient way to run your team. Isn't it better to sign your young guys long-term at an earlier age like the Braves, Rays, and Mariners did with Austin Riley, Wander Franco, and Julio Rodriguez respectively?

I mean, 13-years, $365 million for ages 28-41 of Mookie Betts, or 10-years, $212 million for ages 26-36 of Austin Riley. I know which deal I'd pick.

When you sign guys like Mookie to the kind of deal that he got, you better pretty sure that you're signing the right guy at the right time. Mookie was probably the right guy, but I'd argue that the timing wasn't right.

If you're good at your job you can supplement the team with young talent? Agreed... but you can't necessarily do it immediately. The fact that Chaim Bloom went to Yale isn't going to turn Michael Chavis into a Major League hitter or Darwinzon Hernandez into someone who can throw strikes.

of course he is, it's unbelievable some of the cases being made like its the sox duty to send a message or draw a line in the sand against big contracts. give me a break
I don't think I ever argued that.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sure, a team like the Dodgers or Yankees or even the Red Sox can overcome a "bad" contract, but why would they want to?
I have to stop here because I think you're just operating in a fantasy land where every contract has to be to the benefit of the team from day one of the contract till the very last day. If pro sports worked this way no top free agent would ever be signed by anyone. Surely the contract Ohtani will get will end up being a bad contract at the end. So should nobody sign him?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I have to stop here because I think you're just operating in a fantasy land where every contract has to be to the benefit of the team from day one of the contract till the very last day. If pro sports worked this way no top free agent would ever be signed by anyone. Surely the contract Ohtani will get will end up being a bad contract at the end. So should nobody sign him?
Austin Riley has three years of service time, and the Braves are paying him $15 million.

They could have taken him to arbitration and paid him a fraction of this amount. The "overpayment" is coming at the front end of the contract instead of the end.

And yes... committing $100+ million in salary to players after they turn 35 years of age is generally pretty risky.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The paradox with the Red Sox is they are still drawing

View attachment 736080

FSG seems to be content that Fenway's true capacity is around 34,000

Janet Marie Smith is now saying she was not fired by the Red Sox but the City of Boston landmarks department would not allow a major reconstruction of the RF Grandstand and Bleachers.

The reality is the Sox are controlled by a woman who turns 45 years old next week. :help:
Werner would love to get proxy control of the team but it is not likely.

Yes/no. Yes they're not winning which is what usually draws people. OTOH they have all of New England to draw on and there are people who still like to watch baseball live or just want to visit Fenway Park.

Who in your opinion is worse- Werner or Mrs. Henry? To me they're both poison

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
And yes... committing $100+ million in salary to players after they turn 35 years of age is generally pretty risky.
I know there is risk. There is risk in signing Trevor Story to the deal he got. There is risk in signing anybody to a $100m deal. But taking a risk doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't do it. So I am kinda confused on your stance here. Should nobody in baseball sign Ohtani? Because I have no doubt you will view the contract as a bad one.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bananaball looks interesting...................
🤔

View attachment 736024

I was skeptical at first but once I understood the rules I liked it a lot. Looked like everyone was having fun!

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I know there is risk. There is risk in signing Trevor Story to the deal he got. There is risk in signing anybody to a $100m deal. But taking a risk doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't do it. So I am kinda confused on your stance here. Should nobody in baseball sign Ohtani? Because I have no doubt you will view the contract as a bad one.
No, I'm not saying that no team should sign Ohtani.

I'm saying that the kind of deal he's likely to get is a calculated risk. The back half of Ohtani's deal is likely to be very painful. GM/Owners need to evaluate whether or not they're in position to take full advantage of the remaining years of Ohtani's prime.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The uniform ads in every sport are f***ing stupid, bushleague, and I hate them.

However, the Nationals having their advertisement patch above their uniform logo sleeve patch takes things to a whole ‘nother level.

The part of me that wants to see the world burn would love to see them cover the entire uniform in patches at this point.

f*** it.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

I'm saying that the kind of deal he's likely to get is a calculated risk. The back half of Ohtani's deal is likely to be very painful. GM/Owners need to evaluate whether or not they're in position to take full advantage of the remaining years of Ohtani's prime.
At some point, sooner rather than later, his pitching career probably ends.

And at that point you’re probably paying the richest contract ever for a designated hitter.

Still can be a valuable player if that’s the case, but if he’s not also pitching he loses a ton of value.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

And I'd prefer the Red Sox be a team that is ok taking a calculated risk on Babe Ruth 2.0. Letting Bogaerts go but signing Devers? I can live with that. What I can't live with is passing on any big signing just because there is risk involved.

At some point, sooner rather than later, his pitching career probably ends.

And at that point you’re probably paying the richest contract ever for a designated hitter.

Still can be a valuable player if that’s the case, but if he’s not also pitching he loses a ton of value.
Why do you say that about his pitching career? He could just be a freak. Verlander still going at his age. There are others. Ohtani is only 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad