Patriots/NFL 2023 Regular Season Part 2: Patriots officially eliminated from playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Not with this o-line.
F_9wN2cXQAAjmo6

The o-line that all graded out well this week? It's not elite but when everyone is healthy like it was this week, the line is solid. The excuses have to stop for the biggest reason this team is 2-9, the qb. Brady would probably get this team into the playoffs despite all the injuries.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020

That's why i said when they are healthy. Vederian Lowe and Conor McDermott suck but most back up offensive linemen suck, there's way more talented pass rushers in the league than pass protectors.

Hard to say the o-line sucks when 60% of them are grading strongly when they are playing where they should and are healthy

• Love
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Onwenu missed games because of off-season surgery but has been healthy his first three seasons. Brown is really the only injury prone guy on the line. He's huge so will always be a risk but it's worth it because of how good he is when he plays.

With how much cap space the Patriots have, both should be re-signed. If you go into the draft with your biggest weakness on the line being Cole Strange i think that's a good place to be in. Try and find a better swing tackle than the guys they brought in this year and let them focus on getting the next qb talent around them.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's why i said when they are healthy. Vederian Lowe and Conor McDermott suck but most back up offensive linemen suck, there's way more talented pass rushers in the league than pass protectors.

Hard to say the o-line sucks when 60% of them are grading strongly when they are playing where they should and are healthy

Stephenson a great last 3 weeks despite having historically bad QB play. props to the oline and Stephenson overcoming a huge anchor

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
O-line grading and performing well? Well then its going to be the running backs that are terrible! No way Mac is bad!

Tom Brady would have the win-loss record flipped to 9-2 with this team :nod:. Though, Tom Brady would have also made Matt Patricia look like an offensive genius. But, Brady is gone. Can't wait to see how the draft goes. Lets see if Bill can mess up the tank and finish with 4 wins and then also trade down in the 1st.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Well, I'd argue that's a true statement actually. I'm not talking super bowls. But win more than your roster should? Absolutely.

Anyone can win with a Brady. Hell, Bruce Arians won a freaking super bowl with him.

Belichick can't even manage a winning regular season record without Brady. Never mind a super bowl.
I don’t want to be that guy, but Belichick did pull a 10-7 season and made the playoffs with rookie Mac Jones.

Still has to be fired

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
95% certain the Bears are going to be taking a QB with one of their 2 early first rounders....I don't see them sticking with Fields.
I would stick with Fields, he is not a bad QB. He just needs more experience. It would make no sense to me to have Fields standing on the sidelines watching the game and trying to develop another QB, which usually takes 2-3 years. The Bears would be better off trading the pick and surrounding themselves with more talent or take Harrison with the first pick. Their offense would be greatly improved if they picked MH and Bowers with their first round picks.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Patriots used to be the team that had an answer for everything. Answers have proven elusive for the Patriots during this annus horribilis for the Hoodie. But Bill Belichick & Co. have gotten one definitive answer this season. It’s just not the one they hoped for.

Mac Jones isn’t the answer at quarterback. He’s not the franchise quarterback for the future, and he shouldn’t be the starting quarterback of the present. Mac is a mess. He’s broken. The coach/quarterback relationship he shares with Belichick is busted, as is their trust in one another after the last three weeks, which included two disheartening losses and one bizarre and shambolic process of preparing a starting quarterback for Sunday’s game against the Giants.

It’s over, and so should be Jones’s reign as starting quarterback. It’s time to move on. That’s not because Bailey Zappe represents a better option — it’s marginal at best — but because continuing to put Jones through this psychological wringer is cruel and unusual punishment, and, like the team’s offense, totally unproductive.

After all the intrigue and obfuscation regarding the naming of a starting quarterback, Jones started Sunday’s 10-7 loss. He didn’t finish it. MetLife Stadium may go down as the Waterloo of his Patriots career.

Jones was yanked yet again for Zappe, for the second consecutive game and the fourth time this season. This time the Hoodie Hook came at halftime with the team scoreless and Mac 12 of 21 for 89 yards with a pair of ghastly interceptions. The second pick came with the Patriots in field goal range and set up New York’s only touchdown after Bobby Okereke returned the errant pass to the New England 26.

It was pick 12 for Jones. No. 12 was once a magic number for the Patriots passing game. Now, it’s an integer of ineptitude.

“Just bad quarterback play,” Jones said. “It wasn’t good enough by me, so if the quarterback doesn’t play well, you got no chance.”

It’s clear that Jones is not a successful successor to Brady. The Patriots will have to go back into the draft or try to pick off a quarterback via trade or free agency to return to respectability.

The plan was to salvage Jones with old/new offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien. Instead, this year’s offense makes the Matt Patricia one look like the Air Coryell Chargers. Jones is beyond fixing, at least in Foxborough.

His QB circuitry is fried, and so is his confidence. The more the Patriots drill him not to make mistakes, the more mistake-prone and tentative he becomes. You can thank Belichick for some of that.

Losing more games benefits them with draft position.

Frankly, watching the Patriots under both quarterbacks the last two games has been an affront to offensive football. They’ve combined for five interceptions and three scoring drives.

This was one of the most embarrassing losses of the Belichick era, considering the Giants came in dead last in the NFL in points per game, the Patriots were coming off a bye, and New York started Jersey Boy JAG (Just Another Guy) QB Tommy DeVito, albeit he’s a heartwarming story.

If the Patriots couldn’t win this game, what game can they win?

It’s tempting to say Jones played his last meaningful snaps as a Patriot. However, Belichick is too unpredictable as he tries to squeeze out every victory to catch Don Shula. Injuries could necessitate Jones playing. His contract only calls for him to make $2.785 million next season, so a new regime could want him to stick around as a bridge QB.

The Patriots’ offensive futility isn’t all on Jones, but he’s the focal point.

It’s too late to rally behind Jones. Instead, it’s time to put his behind on the bench for his own good and the team’s.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I would stick with Fields, he is not a bad QB. He just needs more experience. It would make no sense to me to have Fields standing on the sidelines watching the game and trying to develop another QB, which usually takes 2-3 years. The Bears would be better off trading the pick and surrounding themselves with more talent or take Harrison with the first pick. Their offense would be greatly improved if they picked MH and Bowers with their first round picks.
Fields has had 3 years to show his stuff, and it isn’t good enough. Right or wrong, the Bears are definitely going QB this spring, either through the draft or free agency, because they aren’t going to extend him. They’ve also got the draft capital to upgrade at QB AND add skill positions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad