Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season - 154-8 still possible - Adam Duvall suffered fractured wrist, no timetable set for his return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Imagine thinking Matt McCarthy is good at Red Sox talk.

HahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahajajajahahahhaahjahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahjahahahahahjahahaahahjhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahajajajahahahhaahjahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahjahahahahahjahahaahahjhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

I can only imagine who thinks he’s good. Total clown show.

Reactions: Mione134

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I bet the FSG didn‘t force Bloom to stay a few millions above the luxury tax line and not trade Eovaldi, JD and others.
I think that it’s absolutely within the realm of possibility that they didn’t want the Sox to sell when they had a 25% chance at the playoffs. Waiving the white flag means empty seats immediately. The one guy they sold off they replaced with somebody just as good who is signed for longer. They were clearly trying to still hunt for a wild card. The team was just poopoo pantses after Vazquez got dealt because they were soft. At least the facade of competing for a spot will keep the park reasonably full for a bit.

I think Bloom deserves criticism for some of his trade returns and for constructing a roster that can’t field the ball (at least at this point when they’re missing multiple guys). Cora deserves criticism for making constant stupid decisions the last two years. Ownership deserves criticism for, well, being the annoying people they are

I also think the Rays are making them look awful but to be fair they’ve made everybody look awful thus far and I can see why. We sit over here crying about the Sox not spending- the Rays just gave out their biggest UFA deal of all time and it was like 3/40. “Not spending” (when they just gave a guy 10/300) shouldn’t prohibit them from winning.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think that it’s absolutely within the realm of possibility that they didn’t want the Sox to sell when they had a 25% chance at the playoffs. Waiving the white flag means empty seats immediately. The one guy they sold off they replaced with somebody just as good who is signed for longer. They were clearly trying to still hunt for a wild card. The team was just poopoo pantses after Vazquez got dealt because they were soft. At least the facade of competing for a spot will keep the park reasonably full for a bit.
Trying to spin this like everyone thought they got the same level of player when they traded Vazquez? Absolutely nobody was saying that. Last year's trade deadline was a complete waste of time and did absolutely nothing to help the franchise moving forward. The only way that team was going to compete is if they added significant pieces. They didn't do that so standing pat was just dumb.
We sit over here crying about the Sox not spending- the Rays just gave out their biggest UFA deal of all time and it was like 3/40. “Not spending” (when they just gave a guy 10/300) shouldn’t prohibit them from winning.
At least you're finally coming around to the fact that the GM has done a terrible job here. It's not even a debate anymore. With that said, fans can absolutely question the spending from ownership:

So ya the Red Sox are not spending like they should yet they have the balls to charge top prices in MLB. And even if they want to curt back on spending we hired the wrong nerd to build a team. There is absolutely no imminent hope for a turnaround.

We're two weeks in.

Talk to me on June 1st.
Will do. I look forward to seeing you post again on June 1.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I think Bloom deserves criticism for some of his trade returns and for constructing a roster that can’t field the ball (at least at this point when they’re missing multiple guys). Cora deserves criticism for making constant stupid decisions the last two years. Ownership deserves criticism for, well, being the annoying people they are

I also think the Rays are making them look awful but to be fair they’ve made everybody look awful thus far and I can see why. We sit over here crying about the Sox not spending- the Rays just gave out their biggest UFA deal of all time and it was like 3/40. “Not spending” (when they just gave a guy 10/300) shouldn’t prohibit them from winning.

That move still baffles me.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

That’s honestly disgusting

I'm not a Sox fan, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me the issue with this team isn't run production. Its pitching, an absolutely dreadful defense and a mediocre (I'm being generous) farm system with some lottery ticket prospects that you HOPE will pan out. That's on the GM, and I don't think re-signing Bogaerts would have made a huge difference.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not a Sox fan, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me the issue with this team isn't run production. Its pitching, an absolutely dreadful defense and a mediocre (I'm being generous) farm system with some lottery ticket prospects that you HOPE will pan out. That's on the GM, and I don't think re-signing Bogaerts would have made a huge difference.
I personally do not think the farm is mediocre and the bullpen has actually been pretty good. The $30 mill pitcher has cost them 2 games now unfortunately

That lineup today, however, will be lucky to score 2 runs.

I do think the defense is dreadful and I think that’s a combo of the roster Bloom put together and Cora being a f***ing idiot. But honestly injuries are also a major factor in the defense being bad.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I personally do not think the farm is mediocre and the bullpen has actually been pretty good. The $30 mill pitcher has cost them 2 games now unfortunately

I do think the defense is dreadful and I think that’s a combo of the roster Bloom put together and Cora being a f***ing idiot. But honestly injuries are also a major factor in the defense being bad.
The bullpen is decent, but at this rate, it'll be ground into dust by the end of July. I don't see it sustaining.

We'll agree to disagree on the farm system. Especially when you compare it to other AL teams (Cleveland, Texas, Tampa, even the Yankees). Fans always tend to over value their own prospects. As an outside observer, I don't see anything special with the possible exception of Mayer and Casas. The Sox pitching prospects are non-existent.

That said, its early and the Sox are 5-7, basically the same record as Houston. But I don't see things improving. Who knows. Its a long season.

Reactions: CDJ and Johnnyduke

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The bullpen is decent, but at this rate, it'll be ground into dust by the end of July. I don't see it sustaining.

We'll agree to disagree on the farm system. Especially when you compare it to other AL teams (Cleveland, Texas, Tampa, even the Yankees). Fans always tend to over value their own prospects. As an outside observer, I don't see anything special with the possible exception of Mayer and Casas. The Sox pitching prospects are non-existent.

That said, its early and the Sox are 5-7, basically the same record as Houston. But I don't see things improving. Who knows. Its a long season.
Casas of the .143 BA?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Casas of the .143 BA?
That's my point. I said "possible" exception. I don't think the guy's a lock, but its still early in the season and early in this kid's career.

To my earlier point. I still don't think the Sox have recorded a quality start in their first 12 games. That to me, is the most concerning thing about this club. Shit starting pitching + shit defense = bad baseball team.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Bleis is there and highly regarded by fangraphs already- fairly certain ranked close to Casas- and is also off to a great start as a teen in full season ball. Would’ve been a top 5 pick in the draft last year if he was Michael Blaze from an American high school. Some pretty awesome stuff is down there if you look.

As for pitchers Drohan is picking up A LOT of steam and we have guys like Winckowski and Bello making an impact in the bigs. Perales gets a lot of hype from different outlets. Brandon Walter should be a good pitcher for us too. Mata has the stuff, he just needs to regain his control after the TJ surgery. It’s not a barren pitcher group- I’d say the pitching prospects could be classified as middling relative to the rest of baseball but the positions prospects are legitimately good relative to the rest of baseball. I think they may have crushed last draft tbh, Romero/Meidroth/Anthony all have had good early returns

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Allow me to translate: another pitcher doesn't like the pitch clock
sounds like MLB already losing money if they are already extending beer sales. doubt the hurry up and get in the box crowd are spending a bundle at games

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
sounds like MLB already losing money if they are already extending beer sales. doubt the hurry up and get in the box crowd are spending a bundle at games
If you're concerned about ownership's concession revenues declining. Don't be....

They'll find a way to get their cash one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad