Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season - 154-8 still possible - Adam Duvall suffered fractured wrist, no timetable set for his return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
2013 was electric. It is special for many reasons
100% - that was my favorite ring other than 04 for sure. But 18 is right behind it - I love following prospects and having all the outfielders and bogaerts really hammered that home for me

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not sure what the math nerds have to do with certain pitchers and hitters taking their sweet time all game. I guess maybe longer at bats because they don’t care about striking out as much?
The pitching clock needed to be instituted because the stat nerds came up with an equation that said if you waited longer between pitches, you'd get a slight increase in pitch velocity rather than getting it and instantly throwing again. They also are the ones that came up with the spin theory crap that had all the pitchers using all that goop on the ball. So because of these concepts, we get a pitching clock and umpires checking players on the change over in between innings. It's dumb. This is why math and sports need to be kept separate. It's wrecking the game and making it more like algebra homework instead of sports entertainment.

Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The pitching clock needed to be instituted because the stat nerds came up with an equation that said if you waited longer between pitches, you'd get a slight increase in pitch velocity rather than getting it and instantly throwing again. They also are the ones that came up with the spin theory crap that had all the pitchers using all that goop on the ball. So because of these concepts, we get a pitching clock and umpires checking players on the change over in between innings. It's dumb. This is why math and sports need to be kept separate. It's wrecking the game and making it more like algebra homework instead of sports entertainment.
I’ve honestly never heard of that first one. Certainly didn’t help Steve Trachsel 😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’ve honestly never heard of that first one. Certainly didn’t help Steve Trachsel 😭😭

This article is from 2017 and if you chart out the time between pitches from even the early 2000s, you can see why the length of games increased dramatically.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Yesterday's game probably would have taken about 4 1/2 hours without the clock.

Players will get used to it. It's better for the game.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

This article is from 2017 and if you chart out the time between pitches from even the early 2000s, you can see why the length of games increased dramatically.
Fascinating, thx for sharing

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I get that, but there was already a rule about how long a pitcher had in between pitches. It's just that none of the umpires enforced it. It's f***ing dumb.

Fascinating, thx for sharing
It goes further back than 2017, but that article had a lot of key points in there, especially about how the sabermetric heavy teams had all been amongst the slowest in between pitches across their staff for years. It's very telling.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Where did I state I didn’t like them?

Just stating that when you have a bunch of them and a bunch of walks the game will be longer regardless of the clock.

Sox didn't hit any home runs.

Homers make the game longer because of the slow HR trots?

I get that, but there was already a rule about how long a pitcher had in between pitches. It's just that none of the umpires enforced it. It's f***ing dumb.

It goes further back than 2017, but that article had a lot of key points in there, especially about how the sabermetric heavy teams had all been amongst the slowest in between pitches across their staff for years. It's very telling.

Think the 20 seconds is too quick.

Maybe they should move to 25?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

A lot of anonymous scouts and execs saying he didn’t impact the ball are gonna look very f***ing stupid

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022

Hard agree. I just wish it was a touch longer. I like the sometimes lackadaisical nature of baseball and 8 seconds is a little quick for my taste- 12/20 instead of 8/15 might work better for my taste but we refuse moderate alternatives in this country these days it seems

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Average # of pitches per game in 2022 was 292, extra 5 seconds per pitch equates to 24 minutes.
the game I went to yesterday was about 2hours 10 min, pretty quick, but if Im going to take all the trouble to drive to and pay for a game, being rushed out isn't a great memorable experience.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
the game I went to yesterday was about 2hours 10 min, pretty quick, but if Im going to take all the trouble to drive to and pay for a game, being rushed out isn't a great memorable experience.
What game? And did you actually watch it or spend all your time looking at your watch?

You and three other people on this planet are complaining about the clock and getting more baseball.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
What game? And did you actually watch it or spend all your time looking at your watch?

You and three other people on this planet are complaining about the clock and getting more baseball.

for someone so dedicated to saving every precious second. you spend a lot time about what 3 people think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad