Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season - 154-8 still possible - Adam Duvall suffered fractured wrist, no timetable set for his return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Don’t know why you’d trot Ort out for a 2nd inning knowing the spring he had. Should’ve just let him go back to the shower with a personal W. Bad coaching imo especially when Winck was the next guy in…he could’ve just given that extra inning instead if they needed a guy to give them multiple innings
They probably assumed the game was over by then.

Idk. But putting him in was a choice.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He's called Yoshi in Japan so we're just calling him by what he went by.

He also likes to be called Masa. But we're gonna stick with Yoshi.
OK was just checking on that. I honestly had no idea. It seemed logical to me but wanted to be sure!

Reactions: Mione134

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Don’t know why you’d trot Ort out for a 2nd inning knowing the spring he had. Should’ve just let him go back to the shower with a personal W. Bad coaching imo especially when Winck was the next guy in…he could’ve just given that extra inning instead if they needed a guy to give them multiple innings
If this weren't opening day I think Alex would've managed the pen more aggressively. I can see why he didn't want to burn all his key middle relief guys today when it was still 8-4 at that point but was willing to let Ort mop-up.

It's really cold, they were losing big. I can see why he didn't want to chain together Schreiber, Winckowski, Martin, and Kenley to get through 5 innings of work. Even with tomorrow as a built-in day off, you don't know what you're getting from Sale so I'm okay with him not trying to burn out the whole pen on day 1.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
As long as catchers calling timeout to negate the pitch clock doesn't become a thing. I fear that it will.

Hopefully not. But if that becomes a thing and catchers circumvent the pc, I can see MLB also regulating the timeouts per AB in the future. They should anyway.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
What’s wrong with home runs?

Well, I guess some people just happen to find the 3 outcome scenarios (BB/K/HR) kinda boring. I've watched the Yanks-game for a few Innings and both pitchers combined for like 16Ks over the first 19 outs.

But you cannot say the MLB isn't trying. They reduced the pick off attempts, so stealing may become a little easier. If they make the bags bigger, it should increase the SBs (right?) and especially the banned shift is going to lead to more singles and doubles.

My biggest takeaway from todays game is that I still don't love how the team is constructed, especially the D still feels terribad, Raffy doesn't seem to get any better at 3B all (not that I expected him to, but maybe the ones that handed him his extension). The line-up may actually surprise with the "unsung/unknown" guys in the middle with Turner and Yoshida.

In the end, I just like baseball being back.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
My biggest takeaway from todays game is that I still don't love how the team is constructed, especially the D still feels terribad, Raffy doesn't seem to get any better at 3B all (not that I expected him to, but maybe the ones that handed him his extension). The line-up may actually surprise with the "unsung/unknown" guys in the middle with Turner and Yoshida.
With Devers under contract long term I see no reason to even play him at 3rd now. He should be the DH. Unless we're saying Turner can't really play in the field anymore? If he can't then I agree on the roster construction. There's really no reason they couldn't have given Devers the contract, moved him to DH and then find out what you want to do at 3B.

Damn already in sole possession of last place!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching the Padres game. Don Orsillo is the best. They had Jake Peavy join them in the booth for a while too.

CJ Cron is singlehandedly destroying San Diegi though
Worked with Cron in the cape league. Big goof ball. Teammates seemed to love him. Love seeing him emerge as a major power threat the last few years

Reactions: Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
161 games to go but I was not encouraged by what I saw today.

In the past 20 years, Fenway Park has become soulless.

I will concede that JWH and friends saw the value of the franchise to be far more than what John Harrington and the Yawkey Trust thought it was worth. Bud Selig for all his warts moved heaven and earth to prevent the Dolan family from NY to buy the team and going with Henry/Werner even though the Dolan's offered more.

I do take issue that Henry/Werner wants to set the narrative that they corrected all the issues from the Yawkey ownership days but 2004, 2007, 2013, and 2018 give them cred.

The Yawkey ownership is complicated............ Was he a racist? There is no question he hired executives and managers that were ( Joe Cronin and Mike Higgins )

But he was also a businessman and when the Boston Braves along with most National League teams integrated attendance cratered in the late 40s, and early 50s.

Here is a horrible fact - When the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers integrated their attendance decreased and the Yankees who were the second to last baseball team to integrate increased.

I am a dinosaur - When I was a kid sports in Boston revolved around the Red Sox and Bruins who were among the worst teams in their respective leagues. The Celtics were a dynasty that was ignored until the playoffs. The Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics were all on the old WHDH-AM 850, and if there was a conflict in the winter the Celtics were bumped to FM which back then most people didn't have an FM radio.

When TV38 first went on the air in 1965 they picked up 12 Celtics road games with HARRY CARAY doing play-by-play but the Bruins were so bad they had to wait until 1966 when Channel 56 aired road games. Channel 56 dropped the Bruins and TV38 with new owners took a gamble with hockey.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pitch clock is great, idk what ppl are complaining about. It’s overwhelmingly favored by fans from what I’ve seen. Most players even seem to like it. Only ppl that don’t like it are old timers that want to watch the game circle the drain
I'm all in on anything that makes games less than 4 hours, but in reality, it should have never gotten to the point where they had to mandate a pitching clock. This is what happens when you listen to math nerds instead of baseball players.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm all in on anything that makes games less than 4 hours, but in reality, it should have never gotten to the point where they had to mandate a pitching clock. This is what happens when you listen to math nerds instead of baseball players.
Not sure what the math nerds have to do with certain pitchers and hitters taking their sweet time all game. I guess maybe longer at bats because they don’t care about striking out as much?

Ritmo

Sponsor
Sep 23, 2015
Newberry Volcano
161 games to go but I was not encouraged by what I saw today.
In the past 20 years, Fenway Park has become soulless….

Great post (per usual) Fenway. I’m not able to get back home from Oregon often enough, so while I catch the Sox in Seattle, watch on tv and follow here, sosh etc., I only get to Fenway Park once a decade and really notice the change over time. I took my 73 year-old mother to her first Opening Day yesterday. Of course change is inevitable in the general sense, but I’ll just say some things sure are different. There’s some… disconnect, maybe. Even so there was still clearly a core (heart & soul) of fans in the park that represented those that have been there all along, and I presume/hope always will. Amidst the first-inning-of-the-season boos and widely prevalent obliviousness (32 flavors and then some). We had a great time ourselves. A couple more pitches over the plate instead of under it…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad