2023 Prospect Poll #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Sabres' #1 prospect?

• Isak Rosen, W

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noah Ostlund, C

• Ryan Johnson, D

• Anton Wahlberg, C/W

• Maxim Strbak, D

• Lukas Rousek, W

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Kulich could've went 16th overall in the draft, performed really well at the WJCs, and then at the AHL level. That's a shade more than just a rounded out Olofsson.
All players develop different. Initial success of a more nhl ready player should not have an impact on rankings. Performance should be balanced with expectations. Kulich was always going to be a more NHL ready prospect than say Rosen. His initial success in AHL does not make him a better prospect or Rosen worse. Kulich did not do anything to change his ranking imo. His upside has not changed. Unless Savoie Benson and Levi stuggle to develop and find success they will be top 3.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Kulich add Nadeau

All players develop different. Initial success of a more nhl ready player should not have an impact on rankings. Performance should be balanced with expectations. Kulich was always going to be a more NHL ready prospect than say Rosen. His initial success in AHL does not make him a better prospect or Rosen worse. Kulich did not do anything to change his ranking imo. His upside has not changed. Unless Savoie Benson and Levi stuggle to develop and find success they will be top 3.

I'm a little confused how Kulich's success in the same league a year younger doesn't seem to have any meaning?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I'm a little confused how Kulich's success in the same league a year younger doesn't seem to have any meaning?
Rosen was a long term project. His path to NHL from draft was 3-4 years. Kulich was one of the more NHL ready players.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Poor Levi. People are going to turn on this kid fast when their expectations meet reality of a rookie with no pro experience being thrown into the deep end and sinking.

You‘re expectations are way too high if you‘ve convinced yourself that he’s like…definitely going to be one of the top 3 goalies in the league. Man…

I get the the Adams tenure has starved everyone for even average goaltending. But you have to walk back these expectations before the season starts or you’re going to jump off a ledge.

And that’s with ignoring that goalies are voodoo.

It’s easily Benson and it’s not particularly close

Can you try contributing for 24 hours without being extremely condescending to everyone else who posts here.

It would also be nice if I could find a thread where you aren’t bashing the GM, but that appears to be an unreasonable expectation, and at this point, allowed

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Levi. Simply because he HAS to be the guy.

(add Nadeau for the count)

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Agree but it's also not straight lines for prospects. Levi doesn't crack the top 10 in his draft year for the Sabres. 3 years later and he's in the conversations for #1 overall. So potential and perceptions of potential change.

What changed with Levi? He played in a really hard league and proved to be the best goalie at his level. It allowed him to jump straight to the NHL, where he also played well. So that has to factor in.

It works all different ways. Look at Mittelstadt and Thompson, who had wonky development timelines, where Mittelstadt went from top prospect in all of hockey..... to not the top prospect or even close based on NHL and AHL play.

The fact that Levi is still a prospect, with NHL victories under his belt, is a big deal and has to be factored into any prospect ranking.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Remember that everyone rates prospects differently. Some do take into account the level of play and what they've shown.

There is no right way to rank a prospect and no wrong way. Just different ways.

Personally, for me it's all about ceiling and then likelihood to reach said ceiling. The level of play they're at currently is only a tiebreaker for me.
So Benson has a higher ceiling than Levi for you?

I feel like Levi has an "all time great" ceiling(not saying I think he'll get there), which would make him a higher prospect for me.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Kulich. His trajectory has been awesome and to do what he did as a teenager in the AHL is crazy.

Add Neuchev.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So Benson has a higher ceiling than Levi for you?

I feel like Levi has an "all time great" ceiling(not saying I think he'll get there), which would make him a higher prospect for me.

I think Levi's ceiling is Juuse Saros.

I think Benson's ceiling is legit top-line PITA player.

Both insanely valuable. I think Benson is more likely to hit his ceiling than Levi

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
It’s all subjective, hence the robust discussions taking place. I personally asked myself if every one of these players ends up as good as we think they could be, who becomes the most invaluable to the team … that answer for me was Levi.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Benson, interesting to see Savoie 4th in votes.
I am torn between him and Levi for 2nd.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Benson, interesting to see Savoie 4th in votes.
I am torn between him and Levi for 2nd.
I tend to think that Savoie will be comfortably in 3rd once it all shakes out. I would certainly put him above Kulich. I just think Benson’s two way game and tenacity puts him at a higher level, and Levi certainly seems to be on an incredible trajectory.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think Levi's ceiling is Juuse Saros.

I think Benson's ceiling is legit top-line PITA player.

Both insanely valuable. I think Benson is more likely to hit his ceiling than Levi.
This is a fun debate. I actually trust Levi hitting his ceiling more than Benson, but I'm admittedly still learning about Benson. I know a lot about Levi, though.

I think of how Miller looked at Michigan St and in Rochester then I compare it to what Ive witnessed from Levi over the past year and, honestly, I think Levi has a slight edge. The fact Im even thinking that puts into perspective how high I am on Levi.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
add milley
1688784541880.png

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I tend to think that Savoie will be comfortably in 3rd once it all shakes out. I would certainly put him above Kulich. I just think Benson’s two way game and tenacity puts him at a higher level, and Levi certainly seems to be on an incredible trajectory.
I wouldn't be so sure

Reactions: MagnumForce2

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Realistically it’s Levi until he shows otherwise (and he’s a goalie- at some point there will be reason for doubt, but until it happens I’m convinced he’s Hasek-lite).. but I went with Benson. Shiny new toy syndrome, I’m just that pumped about the pick.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
2 players with the potential to be great. 1 has shown he can play in the NHL the other was drafted a week ago.

Levi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad