Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

A very nice profit for the group that strong-armed Ben Mondor's widow to sell 8 years ago with the threat the Red Sox would pull the affiliation.

That group wanted to build a new stadium in Providence but RI tribal politics prevented that and then a new stadium was proposed for Pawtucket but the Curt Schilling 38Studios fiasco derailed that and the team moved to Worcester.

The numbskulls that run baseball have allowed the Providence Metro to have NO MINOR LEAGUE TEAM as Worcester can block Providence from getting a team. :banghead:

Providence is a bigger market than Buffalo...............

1701413594234.png

Worcester is not a big market even though it is the second largest city in New England.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A very nice profit for the group that strong-armed Ben Mondor's widow to sell 8 years ago with the threat the Red Sox would pull the affiliation.

That group wanted to build a new stadium in Providence but RI tribal politics prevented that and then a new stadium was proposed for Pawtucket but the Curt Schilling 38Studios fiasco derailed that and the team moved to Worcester.

The numbskulls that run baseball have allowed the Providence Metro to have NO MINOR LEAGUE TEAM as Worcester can block Providence from getting a team. :banghead:

Providence is a bigger market than Buffalo...............

View attachment 776139

Worcester is not a big market even though it is the second largest city in New England.

Yup, f*** these scumbags. They pulled a stunt far worse than what everyone is (rightfully) crapping on Fisher and the A's for.

Literally pulled mob tactics on a widow to get the team then ran around holding cities hostage until one paid up and now they sell with their pockets full of taxpayer money.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yup, f*** these scumbags. They pulled a stunt far worse than what everyone is (rightfully) crapping on Fisher and the A's for.

Literally pulled mob tactics on a widow to get the team then ran around holding cities hostage until one paid up and now they sell with their pockets full of taxpayer money.

Amen.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Of course the Red Sox are out on Ohtani

The Yankees wouldn't give up light hitting Volpe as part of a deal for Soto? I do not buy that.

Reactions: EvilDead

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Just my opinion, but I think Anthony Volpe's gonna be really, really good some day.

Kid just put up a 3.3 WAR season at age 22.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just my opinion, but I think Anthony Volpe's gonna be really, really good some day.

Kid just put up a 3.3 WAR season at age 22.
Maybe. I just don't think he's a player I would let prevent a deal for Soto. Soto is only 25 so it's not like you'd be trading for a 30+ guy.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Maybe. I just don't think he's a player I would let prevent a deal for Soto. Soto is only 25 so it's not like you'd be trading for a 30+ guy.
It's not Soto's age that would concern me.

It's the fact that if things don't go well, he walks as Free Agent after one season.

Tough to give up five years of control on a kid like Volpe in exchange for a guy who might be gone in 12 months.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's not Soto's age that would concern me.

It's the fact that if things don't go well, he walks as Free Agent after one season.

Tough to give up five years of control on a kid like Volpe in exchange for a guy who might be gone in 12 months.
OK I was sorta baking it in that whoever trades for him signs him so yes that could change things then.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
IDK if it would make me a great GM, a bad one or have no bearing at all, but given the state of the fandom at the moment, if I were GM I’d have signed 2 impact players by now.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
IDK if it would make me a great GM, a bad one or have no bearing at all, but given the state of the fandom at the moment, if I were GM I’d have signed 2 impact players by now.

Well, it depends on your definition of impact player, but there's an argument for there not even being 2 impact players in this free agent class.

Sonny Gray is the only 'big' name to sign with a new team so far, so it's not like they've missed out on much. We probably won't see much movement from anyone until the winter meetings next week.

I do think if they don't sign any big deals, which I'll classify as contracts with an AAV greater then $20M, then you have to wonder what ownership's intentions are after a couple disappointing seasons. Old FSG would have made a bunch of splashy signings. The assumption is they fired Bloom to change strategy, but if they're just going to keep following the same plan of the last few years, I don't see why they made the change.

Reactions: DKH and sarge88

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Of course the Red Sox are out on Ohtani

The Yankees wouldn't give up light hitting Volpe as part of a deal for Soto? I do not buy that.
Volpe hit 20 homers as a rookie and won a gold glove at ss so I can see them wanting to keep him for a deal involving a rental which Soto is right now.Anyhow I see Mike already discussed it with you so disregard.Next time I will roll down first before replying lol

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Well, it depends on your definition of impact player, but there's an argument for there not even being 2 impact players in this free agent class.

Sonny Gray is the only 'big' name to sign with a new team so far, so it's not like they've missed out on much. We probably won't see much movement from anyone until the winter meetings next week.

I do think if they don't sign any big deals, which I'll classify as contracts with an AAV greater then $20M, then you have to wonder what ownership's intentions are after a couple disappointing seasons. Old FSG would have made a bunch of splashy signings. The assumption is they fired Bloom to change strategy, but if they're just going to keep following the same plan of the last few years, I don't see why they made the change.

their sense of urgency is definitely lacking. I just don't think they care at all but have to pretend since the they've run out of free passes. A new ownership group committed to winning would be such a welcome sight now

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Baseball meetings are Monday - Friday

Should be interesting

I saw Baseball America top 10 Sox prospects came out - Alex Speier did it. Love Alex but he lives in my neighborhood at Sunshineville

If Mayer is a future very good to great player it’s a home run - he’s had shoulder issue so hopefully will be something behind him

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
their sense of urgency is definitely lacking. I just don't think they care at all but have to pretend since the they've run out of free passes. A new ownership group committed to winning would be such a welcome sight now

The Red Sox are still extremely profitable but revenue is down both at the park and with NESN - so they cut payroll.

They KNOW they will sell out the park in June, July, and August from tourists and fans of the visiting team.

The Patriots are facing a bigger problem. When the Pats stunk 30 years ago people just said no to dealing with Foxborough and while today Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place is a much nicer environment than the old stadium - getting to and out of the stadium by car is still a nightmare and if the game itself doesn't look promising FANS WILL STAY HOME.

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad