Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babajingo

Still some folks in here thinking this is a playoff team. I'd love to be wrong, but a slower team and soft defense: imo, we are a bottom 10 team. Is this bad? Not really. A good pick plus no dead cap for next free agency we could back in the business very fast.
I don't think they are a bottom 10. I do think they won't make the playoffs. Worse case, is they will still be in it at trade deadline so they won't dump all these guys like Debrusk, JVR, Gryz, Forbert for picks.

I guess their D and G can get them in the playoffs. I just don't see the offense carrying them.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
IMG_0489.jpeg

4 of our top 5 most productive guys still here

63 should have a big bounce back year

7 of our top 10 best producers still here

Last year
Geekie 2.48
JVR 1.69

Last edited:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I think they will compete for the last spot. Does management want them to? My guess is no. That free agency period was so awful, they have to be tanking. Look for some selling at the deadline and guys staying out with nagging injuries more than usual.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I don't think they are a bottom 10. I do think they won't make the playoffs. Worse case, is they will still be in it at trade deadline so they won't dump all these guys like Debrusk, JVR, Gryz, Forbert for picks.

I guess their D and G can get them in the playoffs. I just don't see the offense carrying them.

I think it's going to be close games, but the state of our offense, as you mentioned, that make me think we are a bottom 10 team.

You’ve swapped Clifton for Shattenkirk on defense and now that defense is putting us in the bottom 10 from a 135 point team. Ok.

You know that's not the only difference let's be honest here. Bergeron/Krejci we have no clue and they traded Hall, who was one of the best forwards in past playoffs.

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
realistically who are the positioning themselves for next offseason? if matthews leaves toronto i doubt he signs here
If Matthews leaves Toronto (which mostly seems unlikely), I'd say it wouldn't be impossible as long as the money is there.

That said, no I wouldn't bet on it.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
He makes 6.25m. Not sure how to make the salary work.

about a 1.3M delta between him and Hanifin.

The difference is perceived value—Briere doesn’t value Sanheim nearly as much as the Flames value Hanifin.

They’re gonna give Sanheim away. Just attach a 3rd for some salary retention. Maybe get away with one of our cap dumps in Forbort.

He’s a 6’4 two way Dman and his upside has absolutely not been realized in Philly.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think it's going to be close games, but the state of our offense, as you mentioned, that make me think we are a bottom 10 team.

You know that's not the only difference let's be honest here. Bergeron/Krejci we have no clue and they traded Hall, who was one of the best forwards in past playoffs.
IMG_0490.jpeg

This was the 10th worst team in the nhl last season Ville Husso there G

People don’t realize how bad you have to be to be a bottom 10 team

As long as the bruins employee

Pasta
Have the big 3 of Mac, Lindy, Carlo on D
And elite goaltending

They will never sniff the bottom 10 regardless of who else is on the roster

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
without a doubt all of the above and he certainly comes with a buyer Beware tag on him, imo. Sweeney needs a Center and a rock solid top 4 d-man before he needs another winger on top of it.
This is why I would love to see a trade for Hanifin and Lindholm but obviously it would take a lot and not happening. Maybe one of them.

Reactions: TCB and pfw19

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I feel like Sweeney had the right idea...bargain bin to fill in the holes. I think drawing the line with Bertuzzi was the right move. I am just not fan of the player personnel he targeted. Lucic is fine...veteran to add toughness to the 4th line. Loves Boston. He will be great for the locker room. Geekie is by far and away the most exciting player. Looking forward to seeing him play.

JVR, Shattenkirk and Brown are all meh. I guess they can all be waived or buried with 1m caphits. I would of just preferred more of these Geekie moves. How about Comtois? Christian Fischer just got a shade over 1 million...we need to get younger and faster not older and slower.

This is where I'm at too. I'm a little afraid that the JVR/Lucic signings are subtraction by addition. It's a bit like Kessel to Vegas, which played much better when he was not in the lineup. I don't mind the cap hit, but if they aren't contributing on the ice they need to be off it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
View attachment 725369
This was the 10th worst team in the nhl last season Ville Husso there G

People don’t realize how bad you have to be to be a bottom 10 team

As long as the bruins employee

Pasta
Have the big 3 of Mac, Lindy, Carlo on D
And elite goaltending

They will never sniff the bottom 10 regardless of who else is on the roster

I'd add that if you look at who the lost (7 total), those guys in total put up 66 goals last year. The guys the Bruins have brought in (5 total) scored 36 goals last year. Essentially a difference of 30 goals. What they having pending (Bergeron, Krejci, Frederic) is 60 goals last year. If Sweeney manages to get 37 & 46 to come back for the 100th season and they re-sign Frederic, they've lost roughly 30 goals. Even with the loss they'd still be a top 15 team in goals if you look at totals from last season.

Reactions: 13Hockey

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From the Atlantic division. TBL, Leafs lost key players. TBL on a downward trend/aging core.

Panthers should be better. Sabres could surprise?

Not worried about the rest (Sens, MTL, RW)

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
View attachment 725363
4 of our top 5 most productive guys still here

63 should have a big bounce back year

7 of our top 10 best producers still here

Last year
Geekie 2.48
JVR 1.69
Marchand is 35. Can we really pencil in a big bounce back year? He has a lot of miles on those tires. They would have been best suited trading him and DeBrusk and Ullmark for prospects.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Peters was better in 82-83. Numbers were not quite as good, but when you adjust for the era, they are close. This team was also slightly better than that one.

Disagree.

Peeters did have a tremendous season. 2nd in Hart voting. Unanimous Vezina winner.

Peeters had 8 shutouts to UIllmark's 2. So Ullmark's GAA and SP% are even more impressive. Ullmark had one bad game (RBS) all season. Peters had quite a few more.

Peeters record 40-12-9, Ullmark 40-6-1.

Marchand is 35. Can we really pencil in a big bounce back year? He has a lot of miles on those tires. They would have been best suited trading him and DeBrusk and Ullmark for prospects.

Best suited for who, my grandchildren?

• Haha

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Tomas Tatar is still a free agent and could be a sneaky very good pickup if he comes cheap. He's consistently been a very good 5v5 producer over the past few years, would be a very good guy to put on a line with Pasta and Zacha. Only issue with him is that he's also consistently no-showed in the playoffs throughout his career, but he would help mitigate the effects of losing Hall and Bert in the regular season.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I think they will compete for the last spot. Does management want them to? My guess is no. That free agency period was so awful, they have to be tanking. Look for some selling at the deadline and guys staying out with nagging injuries more than usual.
Ownership definitely does.
Disagree.

Peeters did have a tremendous season. 2nd in Hart voting. Unanimous Vezina winner.

Peeters had 8 shutouts to UIllmark's 2. So Ullmark's GAA and SP% are even more impressive. Ullmark had one bad game (RBS) all season. Peters had quite a few more.

Peeters record 40-12-9, Ullmark 40-6-1.

Best suited for who, my grandchildren?
Rebuilding is the best avenue for this bunch. Especially If Bergy and Krecji aren't coming back

Reactions: Oates2Neely

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Or they are waiting for a team to make a deal to create space?

Could be both. There hasnt been a single contract signed outside of Sorokin that comes close to what Bert realistically could've asked for (6/36).

Most teams with space are bottom dwellers who's timelines don't match up with his age During the deal.

Seems to me his agent really misjudged the market here.

Reactions: Gordoff and ylekot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium