Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don’t even know where to begin with this post…. You say cruise to the playoffs? With the centers we have….. that’s a huge leap. Love the optimism tho. But his team may be the slowest in the entire league. Also Tampa players are proven playoff warriors… Mac and co are not. Also vas is the best Goalkeeper in the league who can steal playoff series. This bruins team imo isn’t cruising to the playoffs IMO. Just get in and anything can happen. I’d rather be the underdogs than a favorite on paper. Losing bergy and DK will make it a lot easier for teams to shutdown pasta and matchup against. The bruins have shown that they have no heart or will to win when it matters most. I see next year as a big down step but plenty of cap and the right star players to build around the following season. JVR in any top six is going to be gross.

With the centers we have….. that’s a huge leap

Fair point, but our forward group overall is still strong. Also, the roster as constituted is missing a 1st line center only, we could slot 2C, 3C, and 4C very nicely.

But his team may be the slowest in the entire league.

I don't understand how you arrive there. Nor to I agree. We added two slow forwards at league minimum contracts that may or may not even play. Beecher and Lauko could be in their place for all we know and they certainly are not slow.

Also Tampa players are proven playoff warriors…Mac and co are not.

My post was in reference to the regular season (e.g. cruise to the playoffs)

Also vas is the best Goalkeeper in the league who can steal playoff series

UIlmark is the best goaltender in the league, almost unanimously. And again, my post discussed regular season success.

Losing bergy and DK will make it a lot easier for teams to shutdown pasta and matchup against.

Likely true to a degree but Pastrnak had more than twice as many points as either Bergeron or DK, and almost twice as many as our next leading scorer, so my guess is that he was getting all the focus already last year. There is only so much more focus you can give him. Can only send 5 skaters out against him at a time.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Operating under the assumptions Bergy and Krejci aren't coming back, I wonder if it makes sense to offer Carlo and Freddy to Winnipeg for Scheifele then try and sign Dumba to be the 2RD. I love both players, but this lineup looks a lot better than what we have now.

Marchand-Scheifele-DeBrusk
JVR-Zacha-Pasta
Lauko-Coyle-Geekie
Lucic-Brown-Greer
Richards/Megna

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Dumba
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Zboril-Regula/Mitchell
Not trading Carlo and Freddy for Scheifele........Never want to see Duma in a Bruins uniform ......JVR is not a second liner bad signing , and know the reply will be " he only cost a 1 mil " don't care want guys that can still play ...that 4th line sucks......Gryz like him but needs to be moved . ...... I want Hall back instead of all this mish mosh.......Geekie is worth a shot.......

Hanifin is a legit 26y top 2/3
And DeBrusk is a legit top 6 -26 yr old.....

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
For the posters who were not a fan of the Bruins in the late 90s early 2000s or where too young:

You are about to get a taste of what it was like back then.

Enjoy the fun this year, we are just a normal hockey team. We got our big delight last season. But that does not mean we cant enjoy Looch and the kids playing this season.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
For the posters who were not a fan of the Bruins in the late 90s early 2000s or where too young:

You are about to get a taste of what it was like back then.

Enjoy the fun this year, we are just a normal hockey team. We got our big delight last season. But that does not mean we cant enjoy Looch and the kids playing this season.
I mean that's what we should expect, but expectations don't always turn out right. Most expected the team to struggle to start last season with all the injuries but we all know how that turned out...

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
They need to address DeBrusk. This is the season to do so. He’s going to want big bucks if he does well. Do they pay him? Year left, either extend him or trade him or lose him for nothing. Is he a ufa after this up coming season?
Yes UFA in 24’
Agreed can’t lose him for nothing
If you can’t extend him before the trade deadline this season they should move him

6x6 seems like the what his next contract will look like

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
With the centers we have….. that’s a huge leap

Fair point, but our forward group overall is still strong. Also, the roster as constituted is missing a 1st line center only, we could slot 2C, 3C, and 4C very nicely.

But his team may be the slowest in the entire league.

I don't understand how you arrive there. Nor to I agree. We added two slow forwards at league minimum contracts that may or may not even play. Beecher and Lauko could be in their place for all we know and they certainly are not slow.

Also Tampa players are proven playoff warriors…Mac and co are not.

My post was in reference to the regular season (e.g. cruise to the playoffs)

Also vas is the best Goalkeeper in the league who can steal playoff series

UIlmark is the best goaltender in the league, almost unanimously. And again, my post discussed regular season success.

Losing bergy and DK will make it a lot easier for teams to shutdown pasta and matchup against.

Likely true to a degree but Pastrnak had more than twice as many points as either Bergeron or DK, and almost twice as many as our next leading scorer, so my guess is that he was getting all the focus already last year. There is only so much more focus you can give him. Can only send 5 skaters out against him at a time.
Ullmark is most certainly not the best goalie in the league. That’s so incredible biased. He was the best goalie last season. That does not make him the best goalie in the league. I could pick five goalies right now I’d rather have over him. Also if you look at the projected lineups what speed do you see? Again I don’t get how you come to that conclusion. You’re severely downplaying the loss of centers and the loss of forwards in the off season. I get it we are all bruins fans but the bias is crazy here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Yes UFA in 24’
If you can’t extend him before the trade deadline this season they should move him

I'd also like to not hold on to him until the 11th hour to re-sign market price either. He is either in the plans at a certain price point. Or he's not. Years of going for it and not recouping picks has left the team with a fairly small prospect pool with less darts that actually have the potential to fill the top half of the roster.

He's a good player but ultimately not a guy positionally we should pay a premium for, especially if there are centers on the market.

If Scheifele Lindholm are still available, a western Canadian guy might be intriguing as someone that would sign long term to either team.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'd also like to not hold on to him until the 11th hour to re-sign market price either.

He's a good player but ultimately not a guy positionally we should pay a premium for, especially if there are centers on the market.

If Scheifele Lindholm are still available, a western Canadian guy might be intriguing as someone that would sign long term to either team.
You know who trades someone like Jake Debrusk for Mark Scheifele? Bad GMs.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I've been thinking more about Bertuzzi, and I have to give credit to Sweeney for holding the line. I'd love to have the player back, but at more like the 5x5 type contract that Barbashev received. Bertuzzi has huge problems staying healthy, he's 28 and only has one season where he broke the 50 point barrier.

Even looking at last season, Bertuzzi scored 30 points (just 8 goals) in 50 regular season games. While he was great against Florida, one playoff series does not make a player.

Bertuzzi has the look of Charlie Coyle. A mid-career player that tantalizes with a phenomenal playoff in his acquisition year, but then will return to normal. Paying $6k for a winger that you can't reliably expect to hit 20 goals is iffy, no matter what else they bring to the table.

This might have been a good hard pass by Sweeney.
Bertuzzi and DeBrincat/agents... look like made an error in judgement... in terms of expectations

We will see. Yes... 5 x 5 sounds reasonable

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ullmark is most certainly not the best goalie in the league. That’s so incredible biased. He was the best goalie last season. That does not make him the best goalie in the league. I could pick five goalies right now I’d rather have over him. Also if you look at the projected lineups what speed do you see? Again I don’t get how you come to that conclusion. You’re severely downplaying the loss of centers and the loss of forwards in the off season. I get it we are all bruins fans but the bias is crazy here.

Although he did have the best regular season performance I've ever seen by a Bruins goalie.

I would be extremely disappointed to not see him back again.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yes UFA in 24’

My guess is that an extension is done prior to or just after camp has started. Bruins are known for signing guys to long term deals before the season starts if possible. They’ve done it with Z, Bergy, Pasta and maybe one or two more.

If he’s not signed by December then you look at trading him at the deadline

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
You know who trades someone like Jake Debrusk for Mark Scheifele? Bad GMs.
A top 6 winger whose best point total has been 50, vs a top 6 C in a position we don't have any high end players that has outscored Debrusk's best season every year since before Debrusk was drafted.

I get people don't like Scheifele, but until we are actually drafting in a position to get a top line center again, we likely.have limited targets. And while doesn't need to be Scheifele, top 6 W are easier to find than top 6 C. If Debrusk isn't in the plans at the right price point, we can absolutely not be allowed to walk for nothing.

Per usual, pick a specific statement, criticize it and ignore the bigger picture. Cool.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Although he did have the best regular season performance I've ever seen by a Bruins goalie.

I would be extremely disappointed to not see him back again.
Peeters was better in 82-83. Numbers were not quite as good, but when you adjust for the era, they are close. This team was also slightly better than that one.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
My guess is that an extension is done prior to or just after camp has started. Bruins are known for signing guys to long term deals before the season starts if possible. They’ve done it with Z, Bergy, Pasta and maybe one or two more.

If he’s not signed by December then you look at trading him at the deadline
Problem with December is that they won’t. They’ll probably be in the hunt and can’t lose him. Then at the TD, they won’t trade him because they most likely will be in the playoff hunt. I can see it. He also will have the upper hand at that point.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A top 6 winger whose best point total has been 50, vs a top 6 C in a position we don't have any high end players that has outscored Debrusk's best season every year since before Debrusk was drafted.

I get people don't like Scheifele, but until we are actually drafting in a position to get a top line center again, we likely.have limited targets. And while doesn't need to be Scheifele, top 6 W are easier to find that top 6 C.

Per usual, pick a specific statement, criticize it and ignore the bigger picture. Cool.
I have no idea what the last line means. Trading a 30+ goal scorer who also has an excellent all around game for a 30+ y/o center who’s terrible defensively and has character concerns and needs an extension is something bad GMs do.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
JVR in Halls spot, Lucic in Greers spot, this forward group is slower. Not to mention Geekie appears to skate like Jason Allison.

Maybe JVR comes in hyped and plays the Recchi role? Recchi as a Bruins wasn’t exactly a speed demon. He had tremendous hockey sense & knew where to be & when. Great net front presence.

Agree with others here, figure out what DeBrusk camp looking for and either sign or trade him.

It’s unfortunate this team doesn’t have kids in the pipeline full of piss & vinegar ready to secure a spot on the big club. Perfect time for it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Not much really new here, but Sweeney did mention he was going to circle back around on his trade talks.

with prospect Fabian Lysell being dangled and blueliners Brandon Carlo and Derek Forbort mentioned as roster players.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I have no idea what the last line means. Trading a 30+ goal scorer who also has an excellent all around game for a 30+ y/o center who’s terrible defensively and has character concerns and needs an extension is something bad GMs do.
I suggest that IF Debrusk is not in the plans, we move him for a player that would that fits in a positional need.

Last line means you conveniently skip the idea that if Debrusk isn't extended maybe he could be flipped for a player that would be extended in a position of need. Scheifele wasn't even the only player I suggested. I listed 2 players that fit organizational needs that have been rumored to be on the block, whether people like them or not. Maybe there are others.

You don't like Scheifele? Sure, offer a better suggestion. If Debrusk signs to a good contract? Also fine.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think this why people were apoplectic about last seasons choke and 2019...those teams and opportunities are so rare you have to capitalize when you should.
Mostly monty fault I strongly believe. I want him out tbh but most here want to give him a chance so I'll go with it . Kind of. This isnt on sweeney he did everything he could and shouldn't get the blame for the current predicament. Don again has done a solid job and creating a contender with whatever scraps he has.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
I wouldn’t trade Debrusk for Scheifele, but Debrusk has never had a 30 goal season. How is he a 30+ goal scorer?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Mostly monty fault I strongly believe. I want him out tbh but most here want to give him a chance so I'll go with it . Kind of. This isnt on sweeney he did everything he could and shouldn't get the blame for the current predicament. Don again has done a solid job and creating a contender with whatever scraps he has.
It was a collective choke of the century IMO.

Jake needs an extension as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad