Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Truth be told I could care less if Bertuzzi came back at 1 or 5 years, but apparently Todd wanted to be here and the Bruins wanted him. I mean what's wrong with letting the market develop instead of binge shopping on guys that were a dime a dozen 2 hours into free agency? Lucic included and yes I wanted him. None of us thought Bert would sign a one year deal, so I kinda get it.
I do believe that they want "Todd." Fits right in lol.:cool::sarcasm:

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Without Bergy and Krech I certainly have concerns with the team scoring it’s the complementary part I’m referring about Zacha and Pasta I get they have some jelly but for the full season is an unknown specially since Zacha will get full time duty as a “C“ and Coyle has never shown me he can handle the offensive responsibilities that’s need for a 2C let alone 1C sure he can do the temporary job but the offence always drys up.

I honestly understand we had to sign cheap deals but in doing so we didn’t add speed or really much offensive talent somehow I think we even got older maybe I’m wrong and everything works out which would be great but I for one am lowering my expectations for this season cause I feel will be on the losing end of the one goal games.

I guess I’ll try keeping an open mind cause it’s still 3 months till October and the roster can certainly change more by then.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I don't get it. What's the point here?

Is Jake gonna double shift? Or do NHL teams still employ multiply people to play wing?

What do think the anti Carlo posters would be saying if Carlo was traded to Toronto

Id be pretty happy, which makes sense since I'm anti Carlo.

Too easy. Try a tougher one.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
You’re making my point though.

And I didn’t take a break from here. I took a break from Twitter, my Discord that you poke fun of, podcasts, all of it. Not the first time I’ve done a social media cleanse and it won’t be the last either. Regardless, I needed a break from all of it and Im glad I took it.
I don’t have any other social media thank God.. have a discord for the sim league. No podcasts. Maybe I’ll try it from here. Have repeatedly tried to give up my account but they make it impossible

ok? Can’t have both?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I'll probably get blasted for this.

Can someone explain to me why they think Sweeney is doing a good job.

I may be wrong but I see a GM constantly playing catchup. Making up for past failures. Not addressing lack of centers to replace aging vets, some questionable contracts and drafting.

Is it on the job training for a GM?
I won’t argue in favor of good job/bad job, but I can tell you why I think most of the fans complaints don’t add up…

Complaint #1: He traded Hall for nothing so he could sign Bertuzzi and then he didn’t even sign Bertuzzi!

Answer: YOU assumed it was a move made for Bertuzzi. In reality it was a move made just to get them under the cap. They would have needed to clear an additional $6m to sign Bertuzzi.

Complaint #2: He should have moved out 3 LD and kept Hall.

Answer: If they did that they’d have 3 suspect D making $1m each instead of one suspect 2nd line winger. I’m also of the opinion that Forbort was untradeable so they’d also have $2.5m in cap penalties next year.

Complaint #3: He wasted all his cap on JAG’s and should have given that money to Bertuzzi when it was clear he was only signing for 1 year.

Answer: If they had waited and signed Bertuzzi (instead of all the UFA’s) they’d only have 14 players on the roster and they would be at the cap max. You are required to carry 20 and just about everyone carries 23. So how do you fill 9 spots with no cap space?

At the end of the day, they needed to make another major move to add anyone of significance. I happen to think the linchpin to bigger and better things was (and still is) Ullmark. They couldn’t move him before July 1st because he had a full NMC and on July 1st teams were jockeying for UFA’s goalies. But if the Bruins are going to do anything of significance this off-season, it’s going to come out of an Ullmark trade.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
So - do we think Sweeney is done?
No.

I think Sweeney is going to continue to look for a deal for a C and a D, but it all hinges on an Ullmark trade, and so far there hasn’t been a goalie market with all of the UFA goalies.

Maybe now that the best UFA goalies are signed and teams are still looking for help, that market will open up.

Fwiw, I still there is still a deal to be made with Calgary for Lindholm and Hanifin but that deal is complicated because we need assets from an Ullmark trade. I think there are other teams where Sweeney is trying to make that kind of deal as well, like maybe WPG and NJ.

I think what we have now is the base model. He’s going to try to add all summer, be it Bergeron, Scheifele, Hanifin or someone else. Doesn’t mean he’ll succeed but I think he’ll try like hell to do something.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
They had to pay their top defenseman and top winger fair market value.

They have nobody on this roster that’s been drafted and developed that slots to be an impactful contributor on at or near minimum salary.

They’ve had how long to plan for the succession at the center position?

This is what you get.

Scotch tape and spare parts.
This is right. Though only points to the negative of the situation. This team was given a legitimate team to win a Cup in 2919 and then again in 2023. In 2023 the players and coaching were far more responsible for the ultimate failure we saw.

At this point because we took our shot and missed while not hitting on Centers in the draft has left a void.

I think this scotch tape and spare part rendition could be pretty compelling. I think we are fine in goal and on D. I think we need to find two pieces up front. Ideally one would fill a top 6 roll. Could Merkulov or Lysell come in and force their way into the top 6? Could Frederic develop into a power forward or become a more reliable Center? Could Steen take a leap forward in parallel with Lauko establishing himself as an everyday bottom 6 guy that can use his build to make life hard on the other team particularly along the wall.

The defense should be fine with McAvoy and Lindholm. Carlo is a solid 3 as well but the anchors will hold this team steady.

Anyhow, I think the roster will be fun to watch as crazy as that sounds. 😀🤷🏻‍♂️

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
No chance.
I disagree. Jacobs wants his playoff revenue, but he tanked for Thornton, and he can and is tanking now. Unfortunately, you will see. ...The situations aren't that dissimilar. Heck they were almost tanking in the Lewis year even with Chara, Bergy and Savard. In fact, that team with its .463 winning percentage seems awfully similar to this team, except for the starting goaltender. They had stars but a boatload of slow, terrible depth.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If bergy and dk are back would the lines be like this.
Marchy bergy Jake
Zacha dk pasta
Lauko coyle jvr
Lucic geekie Frederic

Lindholm mcavoy
Carlo grez
Forbert shattenkirk

Ullmark
Sway

Not sure . Can someone help,?

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I won’t argue in favor of good job/bad job, but I can tell you why I think most of the fans complaints don’t add up…

Complaint #1: He traded Hall for nothing so he could sign Bertuzzi and then he didn’t even sign Bertuzzi!

Answer: YOU assumed it was a move made for Bertuzzi. In reality it was a move made just to get them under the cap. They would have needed to clear an additional $6m to sign Bertuzzi.

Complaint #2: He should have moved out 3 LD and kept Hall.

Answer: If they did that they’d have 3 suspect D making $1m each instead of one suspect 2nd line winger. I’m also of the opinion that Forbort was untradeable so they’d also have $2.5m in cap penalties next year.

Complaint #3: He wasted all his cap on JAG’s and should have given that money to Bertuzzi when it was clear he was only signing for 1 year.

Answer: If they had waited and signed Bertuzzi (instead of all the UFA’s) they’d only have 14 players on the roster and they would be at the cap max. You are required to carry 20 and just about everyone carries 23. So how do you fill 9 spots with no cap space?

At the end of the day, they needed to make another major move to add anyone of significance. I happen to think the linchpin to bigger and better things was (and still is) Ullmark. They couldn’t move him before July 1st because he had a full NMC and on July 1st teams were jockeying for UFA’s goalies. But if the Bruins are going to do anything of significance this off-season, it’s going to come out of an Ullmark trade.
I know I’m probably the only one but I still believe in Ullmark and think before his career is over he has the ability to take a team on a deep playoff run. So many question marks with the Bruins up front now why not keep both goalies. If Ullmark’s game goes sideways again next April, sure move on from him .

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Without Bergy and Krech I certainly have concerns with the team scoring it’s the complementary part I’m referring about Zacha and Pasta I get they have some jelly but for the full season is an unknown specially since Zacha will get full time duty as a “C“ and Coyle has never shown me he can handle the offensive responsibilities that’s need for a 2C let alone 1C sure he can do the temporary job but the offence always drys up.

I honestly understand we had to sign cheap deals but in doing so we didn’t add speed or really much offensive talent somehow I think we even got older maybe I’m wrong and everything works out which would be great but I for one am lowering my expectations for this season cause I feel will be on the losing end of the one goal games.

I guess I’ll try keeping an open mind cause it’s still 3 months till October and the roster can certainly change more by then.
You got older, much slower, and less skilled. Except for Hall, the bottom six was a already a little slow, but Sweeney went and made it much slower and much worse.

Something I want to add about the Forbort and Gryz versus Hall thing. Sweeney acquired four, count em, four d that can play LD. As I recall Shattenkirk plays mainly rd, but can play both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad