2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
View attachment 654828

We just beat NYI, EDM and NJD. We play the shitty Flyers on the weekend, we win that and we are 2 pts behind with 2 games in hand. Once we pass Philadelphia, we won't get ahead of them again. Blues are scorching everything down and sucking worse than most other teams.

Really dire spot. If we had played as we should have, we'd be at 47 pts tied with SJS and 1 game in hand.

f***ing idiots.
I hate these posts. I get kind of jokingly complaining about moving up in the standings but to be so pissed about it with 20 games left and automatically concluding that we will pass all these teams is ridiculous.

It’s just such an emotional/reactive take.

Then, we lose 2-3 in a row and it’s all positive again. We are going to end up 5-8. Get used to that idea.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby

Don’t know Jason Bukala, but great list buddy

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
They need everything, but high end forwards is the biggest need. Anyone with promise in the system is middle-6. Only Cole and Juraj have top line potential. There’s a real lack of creativity too, other than Farrell.

RD is a need, but it’s not as desperate as you make it out to be (zero depth?). The emergence of Barron, the potential of Mailloux and the ability of LDs to play on the right side mitigate that need.

Goalie isn’t a position that any team should be focusing on. Especially since right now we are talking about the high picks. Goalies should be taken late 1st at the earliest.
Habs RHD prospects depth after Barron: Mailloux, Sobolev, Henrikson, Kostenko, Tourigny.

Sobolev/Henrikson's rights expire this year and aren't that good.
Kostenko isn't that good either.
Mailloux has to be cleared by the NHL to play and his dzone play is so bad that he might not translate to the NHL.
Tourigny is 5'8''.

Savard/Kovac/Wideman are stop gap until prospects take their places, which is currently Barron.

And I'm not saying to not take a forward with the first round picks (go BPA), I'm saying it's wrong to say that high end forwards is the Habs's biggest need. It's not, they have bigger holes elsewhere that will stop them from being a contender on the long term.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Habs RHD prospects depth after Barron: Mailloux, Sobolev, Henrikson, Kostenko, Tourigny.

Mailloux has to be cleared by the NHL to play and his dzone play is so bad that he might not translate to the NHL.
Tourigny is 5'8''.

Savard/Kovac/Wideman are stop gap until prospects take their places, which is currently Barron.

And I'm not saying to not take a forward with the first round picks (go BPA), I'm saying it's wrong to say that high end forwards is the Habs's biggest need. It's not, they have bigger holes elsewhere that will stop them from being a contender on the long term.
RHD is a major need. Next draft there are a ton of high end guys available. Maybe we grab one with Florida's pick as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RHD is a major need. Next draft there are a ton of high end guys available. Maybe we grab one with Florida's pick as well.
Imo, RHD is much more of a need than LD, but not as much of a need as Goalie, wing and maybe even 1c.

Mailloux, Barron, Kovacevic could potentially man the right side for the next 10 years. And we have too many LD's, some of whom could play the right side - but can't play forward or in goal (Guhle, Xhekaj, Matheson, Harris, Hutson, Engstrom, Struble, Trudeau, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Beaudin).

View attachment 654828

We just beat NYI, EDM and NJD. We play the shitty Flyers on the weekend, we win that and we are 2 pts behind with 2 games in hand. Once we pass Philadelphia, we won't get ahead of them again. Blues are scorching everything down and sucking worse than most other teams.

Really dire spot. If we had played as we should have, we'd be at 47 pts tied with SJS and 1 game in hand.

f***ing idiots.

And Guhle will be back at some point.

I think now is the time to trade Savard. His value will likely never be higher, and he won't be here when it's time to contend. Matheson and Edmundson can play the big brother roles.

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

RHD should be addressed via trade.

If you try to draft a core defenseman next year, when are they going to be ready to play that role? 2029?

Yes unicorns like Makar/Doughty exist, but you're typically looking at ages 22-24 for defensemen to break out.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Is this draft really has good has it was hype up to be? The top of the draft is crazy but after that it seem that there a lot of guys in the same tier…

Yes it's not even close.

5 1st have been traded so far, 2 of them last year. (TB, FLA)

Last year 13 1st pick were traded iirc

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Tourigny is 5'8''.

Well then we can agree to disagree. I see an organization that is completely inept offensively. They’ve been this way for over 20 years. Four players have hit 70+ points in the last 15 seasons. Only one has hit over 80 points in the last 25 seasons. That is f***ing pathetic. There is no one on the team now that looks to be an 80 point player. There are 34 NHL players that hit that mark last year. The biggest issue is offence and it’s not particularly close.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
RHD should be addressed via trade.

If you try to draft a core defenseman next year, when are they going to be ready to play that role? 2029?

Yes unicorns like Makar/Doughty exist, but you're typically looking at ages 22-24 for defensemen to break out.

I don't think we're competing until 2026 anyways. you could hope that a player drafted next year breaks the lineup within 2 years, however you're right on the trade front. Acquire a RD via trade that will bridge the gap to whoever you draft this season or next.

rochab

Sep 16, 2020
I still see us picking 6 or 7 (pre lottery) so I'll take either Benson or Cristall...

If we go any later, I'll take any of the 3 USNDP players... Moore, Leonard or Smith.

Hoping for Perron with our Florida pick.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
The NHL Tankathon site has updated their mock draft rankings and tbh it makes quite a bit of sense.

From memory -
Notable risers: Reinbacher (not enough?), Cristall, Wood, Brindley, Simashev.
Notable fallers: Barlow, Yager, Stramel, Dower Nilsson.

It has us picking Hrabal (G) in the 2nd which is defendable, although Bjarnason and a few other likeable options are still available: Bonk, Strbak, Brzustewicz.

Seeing this ranking makes me think I'd still be pretty happy if HuGo managed to get an extra 2nd rounder instead of the desired 1st.

Reactions: Frank JT

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Simashev is intriguing. I haven’t watched him but the young advanced analytical online scouts absolutely love him. However, we know the NHL. GMs will have Reinbacher really high, higher than online lists.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Simashev is intriguing. I haven’t watched him but the young advanced analytical online scouts absolutely love him. However, we know the NHL. GMs will have Reinbacher really high, higher than online lists.

Another LHD plus Russian. I've barely watched him. Don't feel like we would ever end up with him

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
The NHL Tankathon site has updated their mock draft rankings and tbh it makes quite a bit of sense.

From memory -

It has us picking Hrabal (G) in the 2nd which is defendable, although Bjarnason and a few other likeable options are still available: Bonk, Strbak, Brzustewicz.

Seeing this ranking makes me think I'd still be pretty happy if HuGo managed to get an extra 2nd rounder instead of the desired 1st.

On my first try:

Adam Fantilli with Florida first round pick (lol)

Our first round pick going from #7 to 9: Dvorsky

I can live with that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

From memory -

Hrabal is nice, but if we pass on a skater like Brzustewicz or a guy like Strbak for any goaltender Id be really, really mad. Brz is just a very projectable player and the upside is present.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Hrabal is nice, but if we pass on a skater like Brzustewicz or a guy like Strbak for any goaltender Id be really, really mad. Brz is just a very projectable player and the upside is present.
Happy to see some love for Brz. I thought he was great the times I saw him play this year and you are bang on... So projectable

Happy to see some love for Brz. I thought he was great the times I saw him play this year and you are bang on... So projectable

Reactions: Mrb1p

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
On my first try:

Adam Fantilli with Florida first round pick (lol)

Our first round pick going from #7 to 9: Dvorsky

I can live with that.

Ran it once

We ended up with Bedard and Yager, quite the haul

Reactions: rahad

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Simashev will likely drop as a Russian. Michkov is the unique player due to his upside, but other Russians will likely be hurt by their national status.

I'd consider Simashev with the Florida pick any day of the week, for the record. 10th overall on my list, rock solid defender who can skate and handle the puck.

Put him on a separate pair from Guhle and you got two future plus d-men who can munch minutes like crazy.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He used to be a scout with Florida. He was on the main panel on ESPN/Sportsnet during Round 1 of the draft last summer. He was very good! Much better than Cosentino.
He wasn’t just a scout

He was the Director of scouting for Florida and a 14 yrs scout (5 with NSH and 9 yrs with FLA). Let say he brings a lot of credibility and he was a good one, I would even take him in our amateur scouting staff

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Just finished watching honzek's last game and I must say Im impressed, he is really tall and uses a long stick displaying his fantatics hands combined to good skating and hard work, what allows him to cover a large part of the ice, retrieving pucks, blocking passing lanes ect. Kid plays smarts and usually makes the right plays, goes in the dirty areas and competes hard for pucks. Kid was listed at 6'1 165 lbs in the import draft about 9 months ago and is now listed at 6'3 186 lbs, what is an impressive spurt growth. He still looks green physically, but there is a good chance he ends up at 200 + lbs when he reaches the NHL. I really like the upside here, once he gains more strength, he will be hard to stop.

Here is an interesting quote from the commentator on Honzek during the game:

"One of the things scouts kind of feel so much about him, he is one of those rare players that has even more talent than you even see. He is just touching the imagination of what kind of skills he really possesses and what he is going to show up in 3-5 yrs from now."

I share the same reasoning, what kid is showing right now is only the tip of the iceberg. He probably ends up top 10 in my final ranking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad