Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Matthew Wood? Please no. Have watched him more than every other prospect in this draft to this point and I suggest we stay away from him. Big forward with a big shot but is way to slow in other aspects of his game. Isn’t physical at all despite being big, doesn’t go to the dirty areas particularly around the net, is slow and seems to just float around a lot.

I think at best he’s a good middle-6 goal scorer but I can easily see him not turning out at all. If we’re talking about the 2nd or 3rd round he’s worth considering.
Most of what you say is accurate but I think the strengths he has in his game synergize extremely well and make him a much better player than the sum of his parts. He has great hands, great shot, really good hand eye coordination and poise around the net to get rebounds and tip ins and despite not being physical or really working the corners he's very good at using his reach and size to maintain the puck and make a play.

I'm not sure his game is best suited for this current Devils squad that is predicated on speed and attacking style but in the right environment I could see Wood developing into a premier scoring winger.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In case anybody needed something to listen to, Pronman/Peters did a podcast about the draft. I'm about to listen to it, but apparently Pronman says something like 20-25% of the scouts he's talked to have Fantilli over Bedard now. Will be interesting to see them side-by-side at the WJC.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I probably wouldn't have Fantilli over Bedard personally, Bedard is still 9 months younger and is running rampant in the WHL.

Says a lot about how psychotically well Fantilli is doing for a (young) freshman in the NCAA that people are willing to even talk about it though. He's incredible (and bigger). Man this draft might turn out some real monsters.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I want someone with wheels. They'll struggle to find a place on this team otherwise. Look at Holtz; his skating is improved enough to be on 28 rosters in this league and thrive but so far, they feel he cannot keep up.

That's why I was asking about Moore. I'd prefer a center and also prefer someone who can skate and keep up. Moore can move

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Looks like there’s some decent goalies in this draft that could even go in the late first round. Wouldn’t mind taking one with our 1st pick if that’s where we end up picking and we really like one of them. Otherwise, a talented forward that falls due to the depth in the draft. Don’t think we should take a D unless we love someone given the D we currently have moving forward and the quality and quantity of our d prospects.

So Goalie or forward ideally.

Top Goalie to this point seems to be Michael Hrabal. Big goalie who seems to have a good chance at going in the first round.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Drafting some centers makes sense as contingency planning, but barring shenanigans our top 2 C spots are filled for the next 15 years. I’m not too worried about it.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Drafting some centers makes sense as contingency planning, but barring shenanigans our top 2 C spots are filled for the next 15 years. I’m not too worried about it.
Having a good 3C is really nice, because it's good and general and injuries happen etc. We have zero center depth in the AHL right now and not much in the pipeline. Gotta build that out and balance our system a little bit.

And if one of them turns out to be great and we can't afford them, well, I'm sure we can trade them for something of value later.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Having a good 3C is really nice, because it's good and general and injuries happen etc. We have zero center depth in the AHL right now and not much in the pipeline. Gotta build that out and balance our system a little bit.

And if one of them turns out to be great and we can't afford them, well, I'm sure we can trade them for something of value later.

I’d rather focus on wingers and churn out cheap, skilled bodies to play with Nico and Hughes.

Pittsburgh never seems to run out of up and comers on the wings to play with Malkin and Crosby. Part of that is those two elevating the play of whoever’s on their line, but it’s something they clearly value in their draft strategy as well.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some free rankings:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd rather take forwards (prefer centers) for at least our first couple picks. Wouldn't think about a goalie until the 3rd or 4th round. We're short proven track record at the nhl level but our pipeline isn't bad with brennan added last year. At least, not bad enough I'd think about burning a 1st on one.
ya, not unless it's an absolute steal.

I did like the Shero theory of drafting one, somewere in that 2nd to 5th rnd range, every draft. Fitz seems to be a believer as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Haha I sure wrote a ton lauding Beck and Schaefer when the draft consensus had them ranked outside the 1st round. Just a terrific couple of prospects, especially Beck who already would challenge for the top 7 in a 2022 re-draft.
You might want to check the production of the top 10.

Reactions: mdj12784

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I'd rather take forwards (prefer centers) for at least our first couple picks. Wouldn't think about a goalie until the 3rd or 4th round. We're short proven track record at the nhl level but our pipeline isn't bad with brennan added last year. At least, not bad enough I'd think about burning a 1st on one.
If there's a high end goalie prospect available I don't see why you wouldn't at least seriously consider it. The forward class is obviously elite but if the Devils (or any team for that matter) think one of the goaltenders in the class is a future #1 and a difference maker then there's unlikely to be a better pick in the back half of the draft.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
If there's a high end goalie prospect available I don't see why you wouldn't at least seriously consider it. The forward class is obviously elite but if the Devils (or any team for that matter) think one of the goaltenders in the class is a future #1 and a difference maker then there's unlikely to be a better pick in the back half of the draft.
I don’t think goalies are as easily projectable as forwards (or to a lesser extent defensemen). Shesterkin (4th), saros (4th), and sorokin (3rd) lend credence to that idea, I think.

if we knew a guy was gonna be a bonafide 1, I’d happily take him in the first. But I think goalie drafting is hard and I’d rather not burn a pick we could use to grab another more projectable guy like casey or Mercer when goalies have historically been around later.

That’s why I loved the Brennan pick last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad