Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

xigon

Jun 13, 2019
Well, given the recent Hockey Canada scandal, consensual players are definitely an advantage.

j/k, you clearly mean "consensus" here and I appreciate the good work you put into your posts, especially international players we might not hear about as often stateside.
If we’re talking ‘on-ice’, I think non-consensual works just fine. As long as it’s clean and Jack isn’t involved. :hit:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Good question. I’m going to try and stay as realistic as possible and say, middle of the first round, where the team either just misses or just makes the playoffs.
Ok, we want to find center. Especially big one, who can play hard minutes, fight for the puck on high slot area, help with scoring and on forecheck.

I think we shoul pencil out Carlsson(because he should fight for top-3 slot), Yager - he is center of good size and electric skills.

Ofcourse some of them will be drafted in top-10, but I`m not a prophet, at least it`s too early for me to make conclusions. I will make little break downs little bit later, for now I add what I already wrote.
I believe Devils have enough with Bratt, Mercer, Holtz, Zetterlund, Thompson and may be Clarke. (*whisper* ... Stillman ...) But we never know.

Order means nothing. Sorry but for now I don`t have a lot of words, because of time and most of this players I watched in previous season.

Big strong player with good skating. The most great thing is his IQ. He protect the puck and decide where he can make the pass to make situation more dangerous. Can play on the net. Liked him in USNTDP programm, didn`t produce in NCAA.

Eduard Sale

Like his playmaking. Productive on adult level.

Play hard. Good defensive forward, good shooter. For now he is number 1 point producer in OHL for his age.

Skilled power forward. He makes life for your opponents harder. But cant` produce in Liiga for now, so for some people it`s a problem. But is VERY productive in u-20 finn league.

Fast good skating center. Good stickhandling. Big enough and strong. Great production for Allsvenskan. Can`t imagine he could be available in second 10, but we never know.

Fast and light. Great stickhandler and shooter. Good perimetr player. Personally I want something different to balance our offensive line.

Everything you want to see from your forward outside skating. Slow. But he is smart and very productive in NCAA. He reminds me of Geekie from previous draft, may be even better as team player. I would say he is very smart player. Like him but speed is red flag.

Outgrown USHL. Great hands. Looks like offensive swiss knife - can drive, shoot and pass. And I like his forechecking game. And he is good skater too.

Strong and big two way center. Leader. Good stickhandler and shooter. Good skater. I think he will be drafted in top-10. But you never know. He is from group "Guadana likes players like him".

Huge, good skater, soft hands, always fight on the boards, drive the net, Easy be available for our pick I believe. Great forechecker.

Small shifty player. Great stickhandling. But not my type for this team.

I`m not in my middle season form, need more actual info, but for now I don`t have good opportunities to watch NA skaters.

Anyway Barlow, Ritchie, may be Stramel(like his previous season games and international games), I like But of course, he is cheat code in MHL, Smith. But Smith is Smith, so may be it`s a problem for NJD organisation. Halttunen is finnish player, same story with organisation. I would say Devils don`t have big need in right wingers. At least to draft them by their first pick. Same with Sale.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ok, we want to find center. Especially big one, who can play hard minutes, fight for the puck on high slot area, help with scoring and on forecheck.

I think we shoul pencil out Carlsson(because he should fight for top-3 slot), Yager - he is center of good size and electric skills.

Ofcourse some of them will be drafted in top-10, but I`m not a prophet, at least it`s too early for me to make conclusions. I will make little break downs little bit later, for now I add what I already wrote.
I believe Devils have enough with Bratt, Mercer, Holtz, Zetterlund, Thompson and may be Clarke. (*whisper* ... Stillman ...) But we never know.

Order means nothing. Sorry but for now I don`t have a lot of words, because of time and most of this players I watched in previous season.

Big strong player with good skating. The most great thing is his IQ. He protect the puck and decide where he can make the pass to make situation more dangerous. Can play on the net. Liked him in USNTDP programm, didn`t produce in NCAA.

Eduard Sale

Play hard. Good defensive forward, good shooter. For now he is number 1 point producer in OHL for his age.

Skilled power forward. He makes life for your opponents harder. But cant` produce in Liiga for now, so for some people it`s a problem. But is VERY productive in u-20 finn league.

Fast good skating center. Good stickhandling. Big enough and strong. Great production for Allsvenskan. Can`t imagine he could be available in second 10, but we never know.

Fast and light. Great stickhandler and shooter. Good perimetr player. Personally I want something different to balance our offensive line.

Everything you want to see from your forward outside skating. Slow. But he is smart and very productive in NCAA. He reminds me of Geekie from previous draft, may be even better as team player. I would say he is very smart player. Like him but speed is red flag.

Outgrown USHL. Great hands. Looks like offensive swiss knife - can drive, shoot and pass. And I like his forechecking game. And he is good skater too.

Strong and big two way center. Leader. Good stickhandler and shooter. Good skater. I think he will be drafted in top-10. But you never know. He is from group "Guadana likes players like him".

Huge, good skater, soft hands, always fight on the boards, drive the net, Easy be available for our pick I believe. Great forechecker.

I`m not in my middle season form, need more actual info, but for now I don`t have good opportunities to watch NA skaters.

Anyway Barlow, Ritchie, may be Stramel(like his previous season games and international games), I like But of course, he is cheat code in MHL, Smith. But Smith is Smith, so may be it`s a problem for NJD organisation. Halttunen is finnish player, same story with organisation. I would say Devils don`t have big need in right wingers. At least to draft them by their first pick. Same with Sale.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. NJ definitely needs to restock the prospect cupboard at center.

Reactions: Guadana

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Eduard Sale

This is awesome, thank you kindly sir. I should had said that as time goes on but this is a great foundation, very much appreciated!

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
The fact there's even an argument for someone as good as Brayden Yager to be outside the top 5 shows how insanely strong this draft class is. I'd have him over anybody from last year's draft and not even have to think about it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In case anybody wanted some off day reading, Scott Wheeler and Chris Peters released their preliminary rankings:

My3Sons

Sponsor
In case anybody wanted some off day reading, Scott Wheeler and Chris Peters released their preliminary rankings:

Obligatory who is projected to go 32 post.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

OMFG Wheeler svcks =-D

I literally pooped\pissed on him yesterday(not literally, - metaphorically, these are still not the practices that I prefer to resort to), and he released his pre draft rankings that are so-so bad.

He is exactly lookin at freaking points and trends.He doesn`t analyze nothing. OMG he is one of the most famous draft writers in NHL. I'm disappointed in you, NHL fans in North America(our writers aren`t better, but for now we are talking about different thing!). How could this happen?

Benson is playing on very good team with awesome and older partners. And he isn`t even a leader of his team! Yager play on much worser team with younger leaders and he is the best player of his team in points. He is much better 200 foot player, he is stronger and higher, and he is electric. Only few gm`s will prefer Benson over Yager, and you will not name them smarter ones.

But is only 30th and Stramel is only 32nd? Stramel? 32nd? Seriously?
Let`s hope he will be right this time. Because if he will, Devils fans will laugh so loud. (I mean we are talking about 4th SC and Stramel\But as 1st round pick frpm the draft, right?)

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I expect we may deal our first this year if things continue to trend well, but I'd love to be able to snag Hrabal with a mid-late first rounder.

16. Michael Hrabal, G, Omaha Lancers (USHL)

The best goaltender in the draft this season, Hrabal has remarkable physical tools that NHL teams covet. At 6-foot-6, he has above-average size for a goalie and matches that with excellent coordination and stability in the crease. He doesn’t waste a lot of movements and plays with control. He’s able to fight through traffic to find pucks, and moving pucks across the crease doesn’t guarantee you’ll beat him.

Hrabel has some explosiveness going side to side, but his ability to stay so big in the net while sliding can frustrate opponents. He's put up excellent numbers on a team that has allowed a lot of shots. Hrabal faces more than 36 shots a game on average. Committed to UMass, whichever NHL team drafts Hrabal will have some added flexibility in how they handle his development in that they won’t have to burn a contract on him terribly soon.

I have often hedged significantly on draft-eligible goalies, but he fits the mold of many of the other goalies that have gone in the first round recently and in some cases shows a higher ceiling thanks to his size and technique.

My3Sons

Sponsor
OMFG Wheeler svcks =-D

I literally pooped\pissed on him yesterday(not literally, - metaphorically, these are still not the practices that I prefer to resort to), and he released his pre draft rankings that are so-so bad.

He is exactly lookin at freaking points and trends.He doesn`t analyze nothing. OMG he is one of the most famous draft writers in NHL. I'm disappointed in you, NHL fans in North America(our writers aren`t better, but for now we are talking about different thing!). How could this happen?

Benson is playing on very good team with awesome and older partners. And he isn`t even a leader of his team! Yager play on much worser team with younger leaders and he is the best player of his team in points. He is much better 200 foot player, he is stronger and higher, and he is electric. Only few gm`s will prefer Benson over Yager, and you will not name them smarter ones.

But is only 30th and Stramel is only 32nd? Stramel? 32nd? Seriously?

Let`s hope he will be right this time. Because if he will, Devils fans will laugh so loud. (I mean we are talking about 4th SC and Stramel\But as 1st round pick frpm the draft, right?)
You just rolled with "metaphorically"? OK, admit it. You've been leading us on the whole time. You are not overseas, you are a teenager in your mom's basement in South Jersey. No way someone who speaks English as a second or third level can do the literal metaphorical distinction so well.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

.....after we trade our first to San Jose, they'll probably want a defenseman and I like Andy Strathmann.......[/kiddingkiddingnobadkarma]

On a related note, I looked up an old Brady Tkachuk vs. Oliver Wahlstrom thread from ~May 2018. Seemed like a majority of the enlightened posters on the main board preferred Wahlstrom. I argued with a couple since they were reading a bit too much into Wahlstrom's exhibition games that season against NCAA teams. To them, Wahlstrom was outproducing Tkachuk and thus was a better prospect. I tried to point out that the NCAA teams usually didn't play their starting goalie against the USNTDP and there was even a case where a team trotted out a #3 goalie who never played a minute that season (and Wahlstrom scored twice on him).

I tried to argue that Tkachuk had an unlucky season (6% shooting percentage) and that was generally a safe bet to improve. But they insisted that was a sign that Tkachuk had stone hands. If he was shooting 6% against NCAA goalies what chance would he have against the pros?

Just because I'm petty I'll probably bump that thread at the end of the season with Tkachuk/Wahlstrom's NHL numbers and ask everybody how their 'scouting by stat watching' method is going.

Edit: Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2018 NHL draft's top 100 prospects

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but Wheeler had Wahlstrom #5 and Tkachuk #8.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You just rolled with "metaphorically"? OK, admit it. You've been leading us on the whole time. You are not overseas, you are a teenager in your mom's basement in South Jersey. No way someone who speaks English as a second or third level can do the literal metaphorical distinction so well.
A very knowledgeable about life in another country teenager. What else to do in the basement in principle.

.....after we trade our first to San Jose, they'll probably want a defenseman and I like Andy Strathmann.......[/kiddingkiddingnobadkarma]

On a related note, I looked up an old Brady Tkachuk vs. Oliver Wahlstrom thread from ~May 2018. Seemed like a majority of the enlightened posters on the main board preferred Wahlstrom. I argued with a couple since they were reading a bit too much into Wahlstrom's exhibition games that season against NCAA teams. To them, Wahlstrom was outproducing Tkachuk and thus was a better prospect. I tried to point out that the NCAA teams usually didn't play their starting goalie against the USNTDP and there was even a case where a team trotted out a #3 goalie who never played a minute that season (and Wahlstrom scored twice on him).

I tried to argue that Tkachuk had an unlucky season (6% shooting percentage) and that was generally a safe bet to improve. But they insisted that was a sign that Tkachuk had stone hands. If he was shooting 6% against NCAA goalies what chance would he have against the pros?

Just because I'm petty I'll probably bump that thread at the end of the season with Tkachuk/Wahlstrom's NHL numbers and ask everybody how their 'scouting by stat watching' method is going.

May be Wahlstrom will find his way, he is clearly has good potential, and situation in islanders help him(their prospect pool is bad and their roster is getting older), but I agree with you about this two. And yeah, this is another example how he didn`t dive deep. And you did. And you(as I understand) and me are just a regular fans or teenagers from Mom`s basements! We are not professional writers who sell our content for public. He lost me when he ranked Sanderson as 18-20 OA. He was my number 4-5.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

This could be Scott Wheeler's year, as almost all the top prospects this year are forwards and Wheeler always sinks himself because he struggles evaluating defensemen. To me, Wheeler is quite good with forwards, and I really like his early list. I probably have the same top 4 as him, though I'd flip Michkov and Fantilli. I think people are underselling Michkov because they don't watch much Russian hockey, buy whoo boy is that kid amazing. I do agree that Fantilli is also an outstanding prospect, I'd have him #1 overall if this were the 2022 or 2021 class.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Every year, @Guadana and I laugh at the prospect-stat-watchers and instead evaluate the players based on watching them play and projecting their abilities. Every year, @Guadana and I wind up making these people look kind of silly.

Let's take an obvious and recent example. Last year I did not shut up about Owen Beck, whom I raved up and down about and ranked top 20. Most had him in their 2nd round rankings, and those I conversed with all had the same answer: "well, he only had 51 points in 68 games, I don't think the offense is there" or something to that degree.

My response on Beck was always in the neighborhood of: "well um, have you actually watched him play?" Because Beck was not even on the top power play unit for Mississauga, who used him in a defensive role and featured Luca Bel Belluz as the top offensive center, on the top PP and playing with the Steelheads' top wingers.

Now, if someone was just reading the OHL box scores and not watching the games, they would not know how great of a prospect Owen Beck was. But this kid stood out to me every game I watched him, and I'd say there were somewhere in the 15-20 game range. The moral of the story is not that I am smarter than anyone else because I'm not, it's just that don't act like you know as much as the people who watch the players if you don't watch the players. Because it's not even a half year past the draft, and already Beck looks like a star who should've gone top 10 in the 2022 draft. A stat sheet will never ever give you more than a fractional piece of the whole story, and that's not an opinion, that's plain fact.

I'm not accusing Scott Wheeler of this, because I sincerely believe Wheeler does his homework. But if I have any criticism of Wheeler at all, it's that he is too easily swayed by the stats/analytics crowd, and I honestly believe he skews his rankings to stay in their graces. How else would you explain his consistent low ranking of prospects like Owen Beck (and Jake Sanderson, and Moritz Seider, etc etc)?

Ultimately, I agree with everything you say here. Ranking Wahlstrom over Tkachuk was foolhardy, and people who don't look beyond the numbers (as you did in your excellent analysis) refuse to learn from their mistakes. Because Beck is not simply an outstanding NHL prospect, he's also a cautionary tale which repeats itself year in and year out, as it did with Tkachuk vs. Wahlstrom and as it will with Gauthier vs. Lekkerimaki and so on and so on.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Two guys consistently ranked outside the top 10 that I'm a big fan of is Matthew Wood and Colby Barlow.

Wood isn't all that physical for a player of his size but his hands, patience, IQ and natural goal scoring ability is very reminiscent of Jason Robertson.

Barlow is a ridiculously good skater for his size and build and he has the hands, passing and vision to go along with it.

Also despite being ranked outside the top 10 Cam Allen and Mikhail Gulyayev are both legitimate blue chip defensive prospects. This class in general will probably have 20+ players that would go top 10 in most other draft classes, easily the best draft class since at least 2015.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Still want Wood even though we'll likely have to trade up to get him. :naughty:
Matthew Wood? Please no. Have watched him more than every other prospect in this draft to this point and I suggest we stay away from him. Big forward with a big shot but is way to slow in other aspects of his game. Isn’t physical at all despite being big, doesn’t go to the dirty areas particularly around the net, is slow and seems to just float around a lot.

I think at best he’s a good middle-6 goal scorer but I can easily see him not turning out at all. If we’re talking about the 2nd or 3rd round he’s worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad